It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New ATS motto?!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 04:03 AM
link   
I propose a new ATS motto in accordance with or as a follow up of the new Civility & Decrorum Are Expected policy.

The new motto should be:

Striving for Solutions

or

Searching for Solutions

or something else similar, to convey a message of human collaboration.

Whats wrong with DENY IGNORANCE?

Due to relativity theory, one's classification of "ignorance" becomes subjective, thus causing many heated, fruitless arguments. I have noticed many arguments arise due to lack of defining one's relativistic terms beforehand. This alone, if fully realized by us members, could cut down the percentage of fruitless arguments. Obviously, this is only part of the problem.

Simple Solution: Just define one's rhetoric, locutions, etc, prior to posting, or better yet, prior to engaging in an argument/discussion. Think prevention.

I am not saying it is the end all type of solution, but I think it would be the next step in human collaboration on ATS.

Flag if you agree!

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Thats not a bad idea. How about "The Solution Is Within" ?

I like the general idea, with either name.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 04:14 AM
link   
In my opinion, its fine the way it is. It's part of ATS's character so there isn't any point in changing what is working. Arguments will happen regardless considering the controversial subject matter on this website.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Fantastic thread, I'm in absolute agreement with you here.

With all due respect to ATS/BTS, this motto 'deny ignorance' definitely needs to change.

Often an idiotic self-centered poster will use this term to justify his/her rants and/or engaging in an even more heated debate than necessary.

The word 'ignorance' IS very subjective.

And IMO this motto has caused more upheaval than not across the boards.

I for one implore and strongly plead the ATS elite to change this term.

Perhaps, something like "ONE SOUL, ONE MIND" would be more appropriate in encouraging respectful, civil, and meaningful dialogue.

Majorion

[edit on 3/2/09 by Majorion]

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 04:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by RFBurns
Thats not a bad idea. How about "The Solution Is Within" ?

I like the general idea, with either name.

Cheers!!!!

Yes I like.

Just as long as that doesn't contribute to everyone thinking their particular idea is the "best". Know what I mean? That just worsens the problem.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 04:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Unlimitedpossibilities

Just as long as that doesn't contribute to everyone thinking their particular idea is the "best". Know what I mean? That just worsens the problem.

Exactly, although my suggestion was probably a little bit OFF, nevertheless.. we need a motto here that encourages members to be more laxed, informative, and CIVIL on these boards.

Deny Ignorance has done nothing but promote ignorance.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Majorion
reply to post by Unlimitedpossibilities

Exactly, although my suggestion was probably a little bit OFF, nevertheless.. we need a motto here that encourages members to be more laxed, informative, and CIVIL on these boards.

Deny Ignorance has done nothing but promote ignorance.

No I like

"ONE SOUL, ONE MIND"

It connotes collaboration.
Everyone is connected via the earth or breath(air) sort of deal.

Cons? The same cons as RFBurns's?

[edit on 3-2-2009 by Unlimitedpossibilities]

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 04:33 AM
link   
Thank you Unlimitedpossibilities. Collaboration is the thing I wish to be promoted most around here.

And to the OP, you should've told people to FLAG this thread if they agree, because that's the only possible way we're ever gonna be able to change the motto.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 04:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Majorion
Thank you Unlimitedpossibilities. Collaboration is the thing I wish to be promoted most around here.

And to the OP, you should've told people to FLAG this thread if they agree, because that's the only possible way we're ever gonna be able to change the motto.

Of course.

Look what I edited in OP.....

[edit on 3-2-2009 by Unlimitedpossibilities]

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 04:42 AM
link   
Haha, I didn't even notice that you're the OP

Sorry bout that. Thanks for the edit

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Majorion

No problem. Now the next question is: Does OP stand for original post or original poster?

On topic....

I wonder if this can really be accomplished. I mean, how many people have attempted this before?

Just look at the surrounding threads in the Business Forum. Bunch of locked threads and complaints. Crazy.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 05:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unlimitedpossibilities

Yes I like.

Yep. But we all know that posts or threads that are on the fringe of being byond the edges of the universe, usually fizzle out and get buried by the other valid threads and posts.

Im not sure that there is any real way of preventing anyone from thinking their idea is best. Everyone has something to contribute, naturally each individual believes their idea is the best one. Thats just how it is.

But what determines what is the best idea is the peer review of the ideas. The idea is suggested, debated, refined, debated again, and the idea with the most merit wins.

It comes down to each member keeping in mind that they are not the only ones on the entire forum with an idea to somethinig, and that chances are 9 out of 10 that another's idea will be better. If members can remember that and not become defensive and abusive with replying to the other idea, then things can progress for the better.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Unlimitedpossibilities

Now the next question is: Does OP stand for original post or original poster?

I have always thought it was Original Post.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 05:20 AM
link   
I like :

EMBRACE POSSIBILITIES.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 05:20 AM
link   
Disclaimer: I'm a theist but not of the Abrahamic faiths. I have minor biblical scholar and scriptural skills. Also I am not a scientific/legal or medical expert in any field. Beware of my Contagious Memes! & watch out that you don't get cut on my Occams razor.All of this is my personal conjecture and should not be considered the absolute or most definitive state of things as they really are. Use this information at your own risk! I accept no liability if your ideology comes crashing down around you with accompanying consequences!

Explanation: I didn't come to ATS/BTS to be all chummy! :shk: I came here because it does exactly what its motto says which is deny ignorance and it gives me the opportunity to do the same and have the same done unto me. Sure the T and C are important and how can people miss the "Civility and Decorum are Expected" banner at the top of every Thread?
But to overhaul the motto just to be a bit more inclusive? That would be the slippery slope to promoting friendly conformity and therefor ignorance, as opposed to just denying ignorance!

Personal Disclosure: RE: Motto's I've always liked "Call a Spade, a Spade Damn IT!"
I would suggest my signature but that would be shamelessly arrogant. :shk:

P.S. If it's to hot for you in the kitchen, please exit stage left OK, also if you don't like somebody then there is an ignore button and if you are having problems with your threads being derailed or abusive posters then please approach a moderator
as that is what they are there for!

P.P.S. The tool of this forum is Occams razor and it's mighty sharp! And we all have one and as such this website is basically a bloody battlefield of close combat debate and we are all soldiers participating in it. Don't mourn the casualties of war while there is still fighting to be done....We can bury our dead and search for the M.I.A.'s later! When the war is all and done then there can be "PEACE"!

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Perhaps a new motto is in order. But the word "solutions" is widely ridiculed in the UK, particularly by Private Eye magazine ... it's a particularly naff marketing term used by companies with little imagination. Private Eye run a regular column deriding these companies.

Uniq's Vision is to be the most exciting provider of chilled food solutions to our customers across Europe - Ready Meals

The Blue Team: Outsourced Vehicle Movement Solutions - Car Deliveries

Integrated Care Solutions (Shropshire): working in partnership to deliver Residential,Day-care and Extra-care solutions - Nursing Homes

Clegg: Accommodation Solutions - Flats/Apartments

Panalpina: On 6 Continents, a Passion for Solutions - Freight

Matrikon: Solutions for Industrial Agility - Computer Software

Lifestyle Automation: Automated Solutions for the Lifestyle You Deserve - Electronics

Tompla would like to take this opportunity to offer you a fast and effective envelope solution - Tompla Solutions, Envelopes

Integrated Vegetable Supply Solutions - Greengrocers

Post Office Mailing Solutions - Brown Paper

The Commission for Integrated Transport recommends demand responsive transport solutions should be considered where cost-effective - TAXIS

Dow Corning: Innovative Solutions for Wound Management - BANDAGES

House of Flags: Fabric Display Solutions - FLAGS

Cemex: One of the world’s largest building solutions companies - CEMENT

Surely ATS doesn't deserve to end up in Private Eye ? Are things really that bad ?

Private Eye

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 06:35 AM
link   
For the politics forums -

DENY SPIN

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 08:16 AM
link   
"Deny Ignorance" is what ATS is all about. Is ignorance any more subjective than solutions is?

The same problem you are claiming to have with the current motto could just as easily arise with any new motto as well.

Regardless, ATS is not it's motto. ATS is it's membership. We are all part of the same compost heap.

The motto is fine the way it is.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 08:27 AM
link   
But what would Springer and Skeptic do with that garage full of sweatshirts and coffee cups then?

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 09:07 AM
link   
We speak not of the Holy Relics!

Seriously - that coffee cup is mine.
One day.
When I can afford it.

If they ever make a black ladies cut tshirt, I'll kick immediately...but I should even think about shopping at this hour!

I don't do the wet t-shirt contests anyway. (unfair advantage)

*edit for snarkiness/spelling

[edit on 2/3/09 by GENERAL EYES]

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join