It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Snow In The U.K.- Britain Suffers Travel Chaos, London Shutdown

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Buses were shut down over 2 inches of snow?

That's the part I'm laughing about.

Over here we get blizzards even and we have a way to deal with them. You guys over there need to study what we do over here during the winter months. Then next time, when this happens you won't be completely unprepared for it.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

They were stopped because of "health and safety" fears caused by the threat of legal action should anyone be injured while travelling on a bus during snowy weather. There wasn't any operational reason why most of the buses and tubes could not have run.

Fear of litigation has crippled this country. Councils now forbid donkey beach rides, events and fairs get cancelled due to "health and safety" fears and they'll even threaten you with legal action for flying the flag if they get just one complaint.

The country is living in fear from offending anybody or even having any risk associated with any activity. That is why we "ground to a halt", not because of anything operationally wrong.

Did you read my last post, or just wanted to lecture us on how you do it "so much better"....

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   

I just don't understand why you place so much emphasis on the "health and safety" issues with snow over there in Britain. Over here we just handle it differently and we keep on operating. We have some accidents over here... but I guess you're a bit more stingy on health and safety there than we are. It's just that over here we do things a little differently, which, is why I had trouble understanding the way it was done over there.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35

I just don't understand why you place so much emphasis on the "health and safety" issues with snow over there in Britain. Over here we just handle it differently and we keep on operating. We have some accidents over here... but I guess you're a bit more stingy on health and safety there than we are. It's just that over here we do things a little differently, which, is why I had trouble understanding the way it was done over there.
It's because our goverment love us and want to take care of us and nuture us.

*bursts out laughing*

Naah,we're just rubbish. I swear,I've seen some hillarity on the roads last week. I managed to get in ok every day, in my car, in the snow. And I live on a steep hill. The majority of English people just don't know how to drive in the snow, or walk for that matter

I remember a few years back,I pootled round 70 grands worth of car, in my 500 quid Vauxhaul Nova. I got home, but Mr "I can't drive my big flashy car" was still there the next morning.

I aggree with you though, we just need lessons in how to deeal with snow, as we're not used to it. Education is always the key.

posted on Feb, 10 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

Emphasis is placed on it because everyone fears the repurcussions of not placing any emphasis on it. When councils can get sued for £20,000 because someone tripped over a loose paving slab in the street, they get edgy.

Health and Safety is the reason why many services just closed up shop last week. Many of our Field engineers couldn't attend jobs, not because they were unable to get to places or didn't want to go, but because they weren't allowed for fear of them being injured in any way which could be deemed as making the company liable.

It is down solely to laws introduced by this Nanny-esque Labour Government over the past 11 years that these things are allowed to happen.

In the US, being sued is part of life. Everyone pays higher insurance premiums because of it. I hear Doctors expect to get sued during their careers and their insurance takes that into account. Not here...

6 inches of snow shouldn't bring us to our knees, but fear of being blamed for something as a result of it is far more effective than anything bad actually happening.

posted on Feb, 11 2009 @ 02:57 AM
link   
I say let it snow let it snow let it snow

My employers would come & get me if I said I couldn't get in cos of the snow! some of us Brits don't need much excuse to throw a sicky
& you know thats true!
I would rather have a foot of snow then the rain we had the other day everyone is happier when it snows but look at their faces when it rains

posted on Feb, 17 2009 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Acidtastic

The majority of English people just don't know how to drive in the snow, or walk for that matter
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You're right but that's because we hardly get any significant downfalls these days. I realise that Scotland and the north east do get considerable amounts but here in god's country I can't remember the last time we had a proper snow fall. I think it was about 1977 or so when we had about two foot of snow which instantly froze.
Of course, our councils could decide that if we are going to get lots of snow they should invest in snow ploughs in which case all are council bills will go up to pay for and maintain them.

posted on Feb, 18 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mintwithahole.
reply to post by Acidtastic

The majority of English people just don't know how to drive in the snow, or walk for that matter
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hun this lady drives a 4 x 4 & she sure knows how to drive thru that snow!!! as for walking I can manage to "walk" my 16.3hh hunk of a stallion through the snow with him leaping and rearing beside me...so guess I am one of the elite English who can "drive" & "walk" in the snow don't you think

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join