It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Snow In The U.K.- Britain Suffers Travel Chaos, London Shutdown

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Snow In The U.K.- Britain Suffers Travel Chaos, London Shutdown

news.sky.com

The worst winter weather for 18 years has caused massive disruption to rail and air services and caused major problems on the roads.

Thousands of schools were closed and over six million workers are said to have stayed at home.

Analysts have put the cost to business at £1.2bn - but say the figure could be a lot higher.

Earlier, major airports closed runways, dozens of trains were suspended and there were no buses in London during the morning rush hour.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
uk.reuters.com
www.breitbart.com
www.washingtontimes.com
www.telegraph.co.uk

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Not only is this the Greatest Amount of London snowfall witnessed in nearly 20 Years, with Six Inches of Accumulation already being reported, but overnight London might also receive an Additional Six Inches, which could bring the total amount of Snowfall Accumulation to 12 Inches. This in turn would Equal or Beat the Previous time such an amount was received, which happened to be in 1987.

Also, take note that London had an Early October Snowfall this previous Fall (2008), which happened to be the first time such an event occurred in roughly 75 Years!

news.sky.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Global Warming eat your heart out

The fact is that these so-called 'leading scientists' haven't a damned clue what is going on despite hundreds of thousands of years of meteorological and geological evidence supporting the theory that Earth has had major climate upheavals in the past without any help from anthropogenic sources.

One day we can all hope (and pray if you believe) that the world will wake up, I'm not holding my breath though.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

I really hope you realize that while it's all fun and games to be an extremist on all things you feel threatened by, climate change is very real and is visible in every part of the world right now, including my own region.

Whether or not it is caused by us is neither here nor there. You don't have to become an ignorant narrow-minded sheep about it.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by metro

I am saying that the 'Carbon Credit' scheme and the huge amounts of money poured into it is a farce and won't help 'Climate Change' at all. The fact is that Earth is going through a natural climate cycle and there is NOTHING we can do about it except for strap ourselves in and enjoy the ride.

You don't have to become an ignorant narrow-minded sheep about it.

HA. Me the ignorant, narrow minded sheep? How do you figure that? I am using critical and logical thinking to determine this, I have not allowed myself to be sucked into this scam - the people who have are the sheep.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 01:36 AM
link   
Twelve inches of Global Warming fallling in the UK?
Whoa, something is not right here,

I thought the Brits were on the Metric system?

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Aand here California is on the edge of a record-breaking drought that could be worse than any in modern history.

Give us back our snow, Britain!

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 02:03 AM
link   
Don't fall into the trap of thinking that London represents the whole of the UK, it doesn't
British media is notoriously London-centric (because the majority of it is based there)

London wasn't "shut down" - thats just sensationalism. It was disrupted.

Yesterday and today we are reaping the "rewards" of having milder winters for the past 6-7 years. Local Authorities have been reorganised and re-shuffled recently and most have cut back on thier supplies of gritting salts, workforce and associated machinery such as snow ploughs - and I speak there from experience as - at one stage in my career - I used to be part of the winter maintenance set up for a district authority.

Where I live now, near the Pennines, we had roughly 16 inches of snow in a 12 hour period. A lot of schools have been closed to ease traffic on the roads, and it seems to have worked. The routes are being gritted and ploughed and generally - apart from morons who have no idea how to drive in snow, things were reasonable yesterday and this morning.

Once the initial "shock" is over, things will calm down and get back together fairly quickly. Apart from in London that is
1 inch of snow on the M25 and it will be the end of the world......

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by metro
reply to post by Kryties

I really hope you realize that while it's all fun and games to be an extremist on all things you feel threatened by, climate change is very real and is visible in every part of the world right now, including my own region.

Climate change has been real and visible in every part of the world since the world began.

If the climate stopped changing, that would be something to be alarmed about.

The question is whether climate change is accelerating due to human influences, and if so, what can be done about it?

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 07:24 AM
link   
It's gone now everyone and i think the buse's are running. Us Brits panic too much! Plus the authoritie' are too tight to grit the roads until the last minute, then it's too late. We should be more worried about potential flooding!

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Not only is this the Greatest Amount of London snowfall witnessed in nearly 20 Years, with Six Inches of Accumulation already being reported, but overnight London might also receive an Additional Six Inches, which could bring the total amount of Snowfall Accumulation to 12 Inches.

HAHAAH seriously??!! 6 inches and then 6 more is a disaster...

i got 4 FEET in two days at my house a few weeks ago, you know how many schools or railways were shut down... none.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   
With reference to the points made about climet change. It must be a load of tosh or the government wouldn't be hell bent on building more airports and nuclear powerstaion's and having them run by private companies. That's asking for trouble. Further more they keep sanctioning destroying our precious countryside and building more roads and houses no one want or asked for. This is obviously detremental to the climet, but they seem to know best and maybe just maybe it's not worth complaing, because they must consult the experts and their experts think it's ok to reck the place!
What a miserable bunch of sods yesterday on the tele, moaning about the snow. It stand to reason it wasn't going to last! Even at the aiports you would have thought the roof had caved in the way they carried on. So what they had to wait a few hours? They quoted it will cost us a billion pound a day. What rubbish! How do they work that out? It's gone now!

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   
The level of debate on this forum is going through the floor.

First, it's a non-story. Every few years now the UK gets snow and unlike in other countries where people are used to it and get on with life, there's a big fuss and schools and railways shut down. Pathetic.

What's equally pathetic is that people think this either proves or disproves climate change being man-made. Taking this one piece of data just isn't enough.

I'm enjoying the snow and trying not to worry too much about people talking twaddle.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   
it cracks me up. We get a few inches of snow,and we stop. We're so unprepared for it it's hillarious. I bet people in other countries, who get a few feet of snow and don't even bat an eyelid, laugh at us.

But still,more to come thursday and friday so woohoo

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Acidtastic
it cracks me up. We get a few inches of snow,and we stop. We're so unprepared for it it's hillarious. I bet people in other countries, who get a few feet of snow and don't even bat an eyelid, laugh at us.

I heard a train driver say there was 18'' at Sidcup! What made the snow choose Sidcup? I'm getting suspicious now! Is this orchestrated?

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro

Of course we Brits are metric!!

If you go down the timber yard, you buy your 2inch by 4inch timber by the Metre.

Our Pint of Beer is 568.261485 millilitres.

A Pound of Apples weighs 453.59237 grams.

The Timber Yard is 2.3 Miles away.

That's enough metric, innit?

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by turbokid

Not only is this the Greatest Amount of London snowfall witnessed in nearly 20 Years, with Six Inches of Accumulation already being reported, but overnight London might also receive an Additional Six Inches, which could bring the total amount of Snowfall Accumulation to 12 Inches.

HAHAAH seriously??!! 6 inches and then 6 more is a disaster...

i got 4 FEET in two days at my house a few weeks ago, you know how many schools or railways were shut down... none.

Actually in my area it was way over 1 foot.

London is not prepared for this kind of weather. If they did not shut down schools and buses, there would be a LOT of accidents, and lives at risk. I saw cars trying to drive around my area, they looked pretty silly! haha

[edit on 3-2-2009 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by rich23
The level of debate on this forum is going through the floor.

First, it's a non-story. Every few years now the UK gets snow and unlike in other countries where people are used to it and get on with life, there's a big fuss and schools and railways shut down. Pathetic.

Like I just said, London is not prepared as much. Do you really want to put lives of children at risk, because you think it's pathetic?

Plus we love any excuse to stay at home and play in the snow instead of going to school or work haha.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Acidtastic

Yeah it is funny!

But I think there is way more snow down here in the south than you have over the in middle of england.

posted on Feb, 3 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Kryties

I am saying that the 'Carbon Credit' scheme and the huge amounts of money poured into it is a farce and won't help 'Climate Change' at all. The fact is that Earth is going through a natural climate cycle and there is NOTHING we can do about it except for strap ourselves in and enjoy the ride.

You are spot on the money there pal!

We are still coming out of an Ice Age, and underneath the Polar Ice Caps is land, underneath that are carbon deposits made from the forests which once grew there.

There are cities on sea-beds around the world, where rising seas from melting ice has risen and covered the land.

Look at a financial graph going up or down, and see how within a long up-wave or down-wave there are peaks and troughs. Climate is the same, because the long term natural trend is for a warmer globe, but there are peaks and troughs resulting in short periods (in global terms) of warmer and colder weather.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join