It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US's Last Known WWI Vet Turns 108

page: 1/

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   

US's Last Known WWI Vet Turns 108

www.military.com

CHARLES TOWN, W.Va. -- World War I took place so long ago -- in a lost world of cavalry horses and biplanes -- that it's a little startling to meet Frank Buckles in the flesh.

The last known U.S. military veteran of World War I, Buckles turned 108 on Sunday.
The national World War I veterans group, of which he is the commander and sole member, used to publish a newsletter. Each issue counted down the number of old doughboys still around. As the number got smaller and smaller, "I realized I
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Hardly any conspiracy here but I bet this gentleman could tell us about quite a few he has seen in his day.

This is just a interest story for anyone who like me that laments when we loose those last remaining living links to our past.

World War I, and it's circumstances, might become more relevant if and when we enter World War III as many contend we are already in or will be entering shortly.

So much gets rewritten and obscured by history. Sometimes it is only those living links who can speak with the authority and conviction of someone who was there and bore witness is the only thing that reconnects us better to what really happened.

I hope this man doesn't check out anytime soon. I bet he could give some great advice.

www.military.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
That is awesome!

I hope nobody pops off some fireworks you know how some vets are he may try to dive for cover and keal over.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   

That is awesome! I hope nobody pops off some fireworks you know how some vets are he may try to dive for cover and keal over.

You and me both. Fascinating story the old guy was driving his car until 102 and lives in a 250 year old house. He was born in 1901 and knew his Grandmother who knew the families first patriarch in American in the early 1700's. My word, what a treasure trove this man has!

No worries he was a driver in the war and had lied about his age to join the Army without a Birth Certificate to get in.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Wow what a great article this story is turning out to be...get a load of this...

Having seen Paris, he couldn't be kept down on the farm. He moved to New York City, where he worked for a bank. In another brush with history, he attended the Sunday Bible class at Fifth Avenue Baptist Church led by John D. Rockefeller Jr., heir to the Standard Oil fortune.

That reporter from the Philadelphia Inquirer will probably remember this interview his whole life.?

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 12:51 PM
link   
He has a website:

www.frankbuckles.org...

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

He has a website:

Intrepid why does it not surprise me you know this! You are awesome, thanks for posting that.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler

No worries he was a driver in the war and had lied about his age to join the Army without a Birth Certificate to get in.

There was a lot of that going on in WWI and WWII.
There was always the "kid" in every group in those days my grand father join the navy when he was just 16 in 1944 good find

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

There was a lot of that going on in WWI and WWII. There was always the "kid" in every group in those days my grand father join the navy when he was just 16 in 1944 good find

There sure was. When I was a little boy from the time I was about 6 my favorite thing to do was talk to my maternal grandfather's retired friends. Most had been in World War II and some had been in both. I was so fascinated by their stories.

They started me on conspiracies when I was 6! They would love to say, well since you are curious and want to know...let me tell you what really happened and why. They ruined me for school and the typical brainwashing but oh the great things I learned from them. I bet your Grandfather was guite a man too?

Thanks for the great posts.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 07:57 PM
link   
You know it's incredible. I visited this man's website. Wow do you think he ever thought he would have his own website one day way back in 1917?

It's come to my attention that there is no Official Memorial to the Veterans of World War I? Over 4.5 million American's took part in the war and there is not one monument in Washington D.C. to their heroism and sacrifice?

How can that be, when we have memorials for all the other major wars?

Albert Pike the Grand Daddy of the New World Order, let's fight three world wars to achieve one world government has a statue in Washington D.C. but the men who fought and died in the First World War do not?

I wonder if that could have anything to do with the troubles with the soldier's bonuses, the incident at the Hooverville outside of Washington D.C. when encamped veterans of the First World War demanding their promised bonus settlements by gathering during the onset of the great depression in a make shift protest village where fired upon by government troops including George Patton and Douglas McArthur. Or could it even have to do with Marine Core Major General Smedgely Darlignton Butler dropping a dime on the powers that be for attempting to instigate a coup against the Roosevelt Whitehouse?

A lot of history here!

top topics

join