It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Graffiti girl jailed for first offence

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 05:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by tezzajw

You realise that you didn't read the article though, right? Deny ignorance and put her 'crime' into perspective. It was a black texta. Probably a crime of opportunity, who knows. She might have been a uni student and had one in her bag. Having a can of spray paint might suggest something more premeditated.

So, yes. It does matter what she was using.

What matters is what she did with what she had to commit the offense...period. It has nothing to do with what it was..the offense was committed.

When I was 18 I wasnt going around writting on walls my friend. I was doing things to better my life since at that time I just turned into an adult and knew the responsibilities that came with the glory of becoming an adult.

Can you please direct me to the switch in a person's head that flicks on when they are 18 and tells them that they are now 'grown up'?

Yep..its called parent involvement and discipline. Its called learning to become responsible as you grow up. I went through that switch, Im no different from anyone else, so where is this missing switch your talking about?

Humans don't work like that. She made a mistake. It's a minor mistake. No doubt embarrassing to her and it's easily fixed with common sense.

Human beings only work depending on how they were raised. Either you have been reading too much psyco babble psycology nonsense or you were allowed to just do as you pleased when growing up. Either case, there was never any psycological issues in my generation when it came to being responsible, learning how to earn privilages, and learning real fast what that "switch" was when it smaked your rear end as payment for doing something wrong.

So please..spare me the "deprive her freedom" bull.... because that dont wash and 3 months is nothing. Even 1 month is nothing with 2 months probation. And being free doesnt mean being responsible free.

How is it bull when she's being locked in prison for three months for writing her name on a wall? How is that not depriving her of her freedom?

Get real.

Sadly, I'm probably one of the few in this thread who is being real.

Heh...if you think so.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 05:01 AM
link   
It's only a matter of time before the "anti legal system people show up and begin to freak out over this one. Fair call in my opinion and I hope the judge does the same with any further offences of this nature.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 05:06 AM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

"Yep..its called parent involvement and discipline."

You nailed it!

She should have been fined (and if under 18, her parents should have been fined - if she didn't pay the fine) and the girl given a stint of community service where she would be cleaning graffiti, or picking up garbage and dog crap... ;0)

Jail-time for children - it is the mark of a society in decline.

I'm glad I'm old, I can't imagine how bad things will be in even 20 years. Kids are being tasered nowadays.... I wonder when they'll be shot for 'refusing to comply'.

[edit on 2-2-2009 by Exuberant1]

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by RFBurns
Human beings only work depending on how they were raised. Either you have been reading too much psyco babble psycology nonsense or you were allowed to just do as you pleased when growing up.

I agree to an extent that better parenting produces better behaviour.

However, I also OFTEN see well parented, generally very good teenagers make mistakes. They're not perfect and they're not able to always comprehend their actions. They're human and they sometimes act out of character and on impulse.

It's not psychobabble nonsense, it's human nature. I'd ask you to show me a perfect person, but I'll be waiting far too long for you to produce one.

Just let me know, when one of your children or other family friend's child makes a mistake, ok? I'll be interested to see the consequences and how much all of you will fight the unfair jail sentence, despite their remorse, guilt and maturity in the realisation of what they did.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by BorgHoffen
Excuse me but its a kid, drawing on a brick wall, that already had graffiti on it in the first place!
Are you completely mentally insane or what?

Excuse me..but she is NOT a kid. She is a legal adult at age 18. The law clearly states the legal age of responsibility is 18.

And so what if the wall already had writting on it...does that mean that anyone is free to just add more writting because there is writting on it already?

That is like saying well because there are people out there who kidnap children and rape them and kill them and rob banks and steal cars that its ok for others to continue to do those same things because those crimes exsist already.

Are you completely insane or what?

This young ADULT...yes people she is legally an ADULT..quit ignoring that fact ok...she will spend at most a month, probably less, and have to clean up the mess, and have her name in lights and be recognized for her actions..aww the perils of being an adult who must now take responsibility for her actions.

No shoulder to cry on here.

And I pitty those who offer one. No wonder our society is so screwed up.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by alyosha1981

"It's only a matter of time before the "anti legal system people show up and begin to freak out over this one"

You mean The Constitutionalists?

We're always here ;-)

**Freaks out anyways**

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 05:15 AM
link   

And so what if the wall already had writting on it...does that mean that anyone is free to just add more writting because there is writting on it already?

That is like saying well because there are people out there who kidnap children and rape them and kill them and rob banks and steal cars that its ok for others to continue to do those same things because those crimes exsist already.

Are you completely insane or what?

Sorry for the long quote. Read what you typed. You're trying to use an analogy of writing a name on a wall to somehow compare it to child rapists... do you always exaggerate that much, that often?

No wonder our society is so screwed up.

Finally, I agree with you on something. No wonder society is screwed up. Just read some of the replies in this thread.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 05:19 AM
link   

Just let me know, when one of your children or other family friend's child makes a mistake, ok? I'll be interested to see the consequences and how much all of you will fight the unfair jail sentence, despite their remorse, guilt and maturity in the realisation of what they did.

My kids are grown adults now and have kids of their own thank you.

And I do have a friend who has an 18 yr old son. She raised this kid just like how my parents raised me, with a firm but loving hand.

This 18 yr old decided to go out and be a dumbass and decided to steal a CD from walmart because he just wanted to. Knowing there were security cameras all over the place, he still decided to be stupid and put the whole CD holder under his coat and proceeded to walk out the door, only to be intercepted by walmart security guys, hauled back in and held until the cops arrived. He was arrested and charged with theft.

You want to know what his mother decided to do?

She did absolutely NOTHING. Thats right, nothing. She said let the little thief learn his lesson. Her son spent 2 weeks in the county jail and 2 weeks community service. That was 1 year ago.

Her son has a whole new attitude now, and now goes around telling other younger kids that stealing and crime dont pay.

He learned a valuable lesson that day. And he also knows that over a stupid act like stealing a CD, he now has that on his adult record.

Life is not a pat on the back when you do wrong. People need to be held accountable for their acts, no matter how minor or major it is.

Satisifed?

Cheers!!!!

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 05:23 AM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

Its no exaggeration. And its no different. A crime is a crime. And being responsible and held accountable for that crime, no matter how severe or minor the offense is..it is still a crime.

Its ok you people just keep believing that rewarding offenses like this young lady's is going to be better than having her be responsible and accountable for it will make the world a better place. Its your utopia your creating, and have been creating. Again, no wonder society is so screwed up.

And it isnt because of people like me either.

Cheers!!!!

link   
reply to post by RFBurns

The thing is people are disagreeing with the punishment itself, not the conviction.

Say tough @$@# is a way to walk past the issue, would you mind explaining how
being amongst general population is going to reform her?

IF the point is punishment for punishments sake then its a lock with you.

If the point is to stop the behavior and remedy the action then I think prison will not benefit her to this end.

The reality of US county in big cities is like going to MADMAX existence, kill or be killed
level.

Why expose her to the big time if a lesser punishment could be as beneficial?

link   

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Bald Champion
Why expose her to the big time if a lesser punishment could be as beneficial?

FOR SOCIETY -

trimmed quote

[edit on 2/2/09 by masqua]

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by alyosha1981
Good for them! I think if judges were this harsh on kids convicted of their first crimes, they'd think twice befire re offending.

You do realise that almost every teen would end up in jail right?

I think that's the idea. To send a message out to graffiti vandals that the NWO won't tolerate them anymore.
These kids probably attack society in this manner because they hate it, but are yet to discover why.

Obey or suffer. No second chances.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Our society hes seen it's ups and downs and what counts is the quality of people in it. I believe that especially young people should be put on the "straight and narrow" because unlike the murders and rapists in prison, they have a chance in life. The judge here was probably trying to set an example for the community and show that this will not be tollerated.

If I owned a business and found someone tagging on my walls I'd press for a harsh punishment. Who wants to spend all that money cleaning up grafiti from their property? I for onethink it's shameful and don't like to see it.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 05:28 AM
link   

She did absolutely NOTHING. Thats right, nothing. She said let the little thief learn his lesson. Her son spent 2 weeks in the county jail and 2 weeks community service...
Satisifed?

Yeah, I'm satisfied. I can see where you're coming from now.

It helps to understand the mindset that some people have and the skewed ways in which their values work. Thanks for that. By the way, why didn't he spend three months in jail? Stealing a CD is a comparable crime to writing a name on a wall in the eyes of the New World Order Police State, right? Two weeks, he got off lightly, huh?

She gets three months in jail for writing her name on a wall. I think that the judge should get three months for writing his signature on the court papers. His graffitti against logic and common sense was far worse than her name tag. He should spend three months inside a jail to see what he's going to do to her and others like her. Ivory towers will not protect the elite forever.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 05:31 AM
link   
reply to post by The Bald Champion

You and the others think this gal is going to some maximum security pen. She will go to a county or city jail and be in the women's section in low security, enjoy watching tv and talking to the other inmates, eating 3 hot meals and sleeping in a nice 6x10 cell for 1 month max, less is most likely. And then be out and get to explain to all the world why an 18 yr old would do something so childish and write on a wall.

The problem here is that you people are overbloating the sentance, thinking she will be in some 24/7 lockdown situation like major offenders are. And as I have said about 5 times now, that everone seems to convieniently ignore, she will most likely spend a week to 3 weeks at most, be out on probation and get to go home and proceed with her new realization of how the adult world is.

I suggest to you people to let her grow up and stop trying to hold her hand like she needs to be guided like a little kid.

Nuff of this nonsense, off to read more productive threads. I leave you all to your utopia innocence pretend world.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 05:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by alyosha1981
I believe that especially young people should be put on the "straight and narrow" because unlike the murders and rapists in prison, they have a chance in life.

Do you contradict yourself much? Why throw them in prison, with people who you admit have no chance (murderers, etc), when they do have a chance?

If I owned a business and found someone tagging on my walls I'd press for a harsh punishment. Who wants to spend all that money cleaning up grafiti from their property? I for onethink it's shameful and don't like to see it.

So the girl apologises to you, offers to pay for the damage, clean the walls, mop your floors and pick the gum out from underneath all of the tables and you'll still send her to jail? Great show of compassion, nice move.

I hope when you own your business that you don't violate any health or labour laws or you'll be going straight to jail, like you deserve to. Don't even think of making ONE false business tax deducation, or you'll rot in jail, like you deserve.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 05:35 AM
link   

She did absolutely NOTHING. Thats right, nothing. She said let the little thief learn his lesson. Her son spent 2 weeks in the county jail and 2 weeks community service...
Satisifed?

Yeah, I'm satisfied. I can see where you're coming from now.

It helps to understand the mindset that some people have and the skewed ways in which their values work. Thanks for that. By the way, why didn't he spend three months in jail? Stealing a CD is a comparable crime to writing a name on a wall in the eyes of the New World Order Police State, right? Two weeks, he got off lightly, huh?

She gets three months in jail for writing her name on a wall. I think that the judge should get three months for writing his signature on the court papers. His graffitti against logic and common sense was far worse than her name tag. He should spend three months inside a jail to see what he's going to do to her and others like her. Ivory towers will not protect the elite forever.

His sentance was 4 months. It was his first time offense. He knew that to be able to be eligible for early release, he had to be on his best behavior and act like he is supposed to. And he did, and was released after 2 weeks and spent 2 weeks community service as required by his probation officer.

Anyway..this has been nice but obviously you people are way too pollictically correct to understand real world problems and why society is so screwed up because of your laxed views on crime and punishement.

Heaven forbid it doesnt go any further than where it is now, or this world will really be mucked up.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 05:41 AM
link   

Anyway..this has been nice but obviously you people are way too pollictically correct

We've just been correct. There's nothing political about it.

Heaven forbid it doesnt go any further than where it is now, or this world will really be mucked up.

I agree. It's bad enough that a girl gets three months jail for writing her name on a wall, with no prior convictions. Let's hope that it doesn't get any worse than this.

posted on Feb, 2 2009 @ 05:43 AM
link   
I once bought my wife a brand new car, about three days after taking it home I was out doing some errands and couldn't help to notice other drivers staring at the car, I thought Ya it's nice and their admiring it.
All day people were looking and staring as we passed in trafic.When I arived at a family members house I was excited to "show off" the new car, my cousin went outside to take a peak and upon returning inside said the following, Nice car but who painted on the door? I asked whay do you mean? so I go outside and look low and behold someone had tagged up the car with gang writting, starting at the front fender and all the way back along the doors to the trunk.

I was pissed, I attempted to wipe it off thinking it might be shoe polish or something like that but to no avail. My wife was devastated to see the damage when I got home, the police could do nothing more then take a report and "let me know if they find anything" I ended up taking the car to a local bodyshop and had them remove the paint and add another coat of clearcoat, let me tell you it cost quite a bit more then the $200 fine this girl got and they never caught the vandals, People don't realize the damage grafitti causes and the impact it has on lives.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join