It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it time to ditch the bible?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   
That is very interesting.
I have not read the originating post or any post thereafter...only a response to the Question.

What would the outcome of such a thing look like in the Future?
Would we have 'Bibles' in glass cases, showing how uncivilized we once were?

Will Religion itself be absolved over time as we evolve as a species and our understanding increases?

Will our common-day Religion(s) as we know it be replaced with another Religion, percieved and accepted globally?

As we come to know that most of what we know is incorrect...I thought it may have gone back maybe to 1900...then 1800...now we know it goes back 2,000+...

We are living in History...WE are the Generation that discovers the Truth.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thistled
reply to post by badmedia

God is in all of us?

Paedophiles, rapists, junkies, pimps, burglars, knife wielding gangs, corrupt politicians, Jim and Tammy Bakker, Paul Pot, Mugabe, Hitler.
Spose you will tell me "the dark one" is to blame for these errors in evolution. Aghhh, that's it. Evolution.
We are here because we live on a rock that is the right distance from the Sun, and life evolved from a piece of rubbish on the seabed. Voila!

I was baptised Roman Catholic - I am now an athiest.

Spose the dark one has claimed another 'victim' then.

See, and this is the problem. This is what needs to be "ditched". You just threw a bunch of assumptions on me based on YOUR beliefs, YOUR understanding and so on.

You assume that because I stick up for the bible, I must be this ignorant person who believes everything you use to believe. I don't.

You have a collectivism mindset. That people can all be defined by certain groups. Evident in the way you treat me.

And this is something we are all guilty of, but if you wanna talk about what needs to be ditched, it's this.

You don't know me at all, and you make assumptions towards me based on the popular mainstream beliefs. Guess what, Roman Catholic is the church of Satan, and Paul perverted the message of Jesus.

I knew from the start you just came and made this thread because you were atheist. Just like the Christians you point fingers at, you feel the need to "convert" everyone else to your beliefs. And you use it as a way of putting yourself superior to others falsely. Just another blind person who wants to ditch anything beyond his own small bit of understanding.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by MatrixProphet
I have a problem with this also. I am not a New Ager. But I do think that there is an energy that permeates anything that is alive. Science would not denounce this. Is God in all of us? No. But his essence is. That which is life itself.

If you have consciousness, then you have the spirit of god within you. I don't know if everyone actually is conscious, but I assume as much.

But there is certainly a difference in being of the spirit, and seeing and acting accordingly. It seems like the people mentioned have no clue, and only thing of themselves, not others.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Nah, just wanted to put it to ATS and see what the discussion throws up.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by badmedia

I knew from the start you just came and made this thread because you were atheist.

You were bound to, you follow Jesus.

[edit on 1/2/2009 by Thistled]

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Thistled

Yes, please keep on throwing those sterotypes on me. Show us all just how low level your thought process is.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Tesla401

I like this Tesla. We are the generation.

I think religion is kinda on the way out. Attendance is down across the UK, and I'm 'guessing' on the way down in other countries. Maybe that is what will happen in about 2000 years from now - our childrens childrens children etc will look at the bibles and qur'an etc in glass display cases.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by jpm06002
without the bible there is no hope

This is a very rude comment. Many people have never been exposed to the bible, or they believe in another faith. Everyone is allowed to believe in whatever they want to. I'm happy you believe in something.

also it would be nice if you quoted the passages where it says such things since those quotes are essentially your whole argument.

Is this an argument? I think the proposal put forth is a valid one. Personally for myself, the bible is outdated by a couple of thousand years. I'm not willing to argue on it, as it is just the way I feel.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Enthralled Fan

You get a star from me!

Take note peeps, not an argument.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   

You get a star from me!

Take note peeps, not an argument.

Is this where I am supposed to reply along the lines of "of course you would, you are atheist"?

I mean hey, why actually debate the person's point when you can just blindly dismiss them based on stereotypes as a means of avoiding looking at your own ignorant beliefs.

[edit on 1-2-2009 by badmedia]

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   

You can reply with whatever you like I'm sure. Each to their own.

I can't help but notice your tone. I don't like it. I would say the word you should be using is argument and not debate, as you sound very uptight and dare I say, aggressive. I hope I am wrong.

I will say again, each to their own, some follow buddah, allah, jesus, I don't follow any, that does not make me ignorant.

I do not try to convert people to atheism, I am asking a simple question, hence the title of the topic.

[edit on 1/2/2009 by Thistled]

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Ditch this stupid book. I mean C'mon people everytime in humkan history that a government loses control of its people they create a new GOD. Jeeze if you were to spend the time and research GODS you would be suprised how many GODS we have created throughout human history. The bible itself has 4 GODS in it. The 1st GOD was Moses GOD and a tyrant and unforgiving GOD it was. The the governemtn lost control of its people 3k years ago and created a second GOD. A merciful and forgiving GOD and contrary to the 1st. Then 1 thousand year later they lost control again and crested a 3rd GOD, one they made a son of GOD to be a GOD. Actually its the same story that the egyptians used loang ago. The 4th GOD was created later by the catholics and this GOD is the supposed holy spirit. All in all there r 4 GODS that you all worship and then to top it off you worship pagans or saints and you worship statutues. Its hilarious actually when I see people doing this.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Is this where I am supposed to reply along the lines of "of course you would, you are atheist"?

Whatever. Nope, I'm not an atheist. I was raised as a Catholic, if you must know.

I mean hey, why actually debate the person's point when you can just blindly dismiss them based on stereotypes as a means of avoiding looking at your own ignorant beliefs.

Thanks for calling me ignorant. I do believe that faith, no matter what a person believes, is a personal thing.

Your comment above about my ignorance, just goes to show how right you think you are, and how intolerant you are about other peoples personal beliefs. Whether you like it or not, what works for you might not work for other people, hence many different denominations within one religious order.

Personally, I could care less if you think I alone am ignorant, but what you have done here, is put a label on anyone who thinks differently than you!

edit to fix quotes

[edit on 1-2-2009 by Enthralled Fan]

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   

I agree, that is also how i see it.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Enthralled Fan
Thanks for calling me ignorant. I do believe that faith, no matter what a person believes, is a personal thing.

Your comment above about my ignorance, just goes to show how right you think you are, and how intolerant you are about other peoples personal beliefs. Whether you like it or not, what works for you might not work for other people, hence many different denominations within one religious order.

Personally, I could care less if you think I alone am ignorant, but what you have done here, is put a label on anyone who thinks differently than you!

I wasn't even talking to you, I was making an example of the way he stereotyped and dismissed me earlier in the thread based on my defense of the bible.

Aside from which, I'm not even talking about peoples specific beliefs. Read more of my posts, I can't stand organized religion or the church. Look at my foes list on my profile, you'll find the most literal and devout Christians on these forums.

It's not about what people believe, it's about the low level thought process that brings about these beliefs. It's all really just people trying to convince the majority because nobody respects the individual. I think Atheists and Christians are exactly alike. I tick them both off. Christians accepted it all because they were told, Atheism is just the other side of the coin that rejects it all because of the people who believe it. Rarely does either side show anything that resembles intelligent thought in their opinions.

So it has nothing to do with personal beliefs. It's about low levels of thinking.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   

You can reply with whatever you like I'm sure. Each to their own.

I can't help but notice your tone. I don't like it. I would say the word you should be using is argument and not debate, as you sound very uptight and dare I say, aggressive. I hope I am wrong.

I will say again, each to their own, some follow buddah, allah, jesus, I don't follow any, that does not make me ignorant.

I do not try to convert people to atheism, I am asking a simple question, hence the title of the topic.

I already addressed what you did in your original post. You found the worse parts of a book and used it as a way of dismissing it all. Saying it's "time to ditch the bible" and those were the things you quoted as why.

From that response, you went on to assume and throw every Christian dogma onto me, as being representative of my opinion. When they were nothing more than assumptions, and if you take even a few seconds to read some of my other posts, you'll find that you don't have the first clue as to my beliefs.

Just like you used "Evolution" like it was some kind of insult to me, like it's some big huge deal.

All in all, I'm sick of people such as yourself coming around thinking you are soooo much smarter by default for not having religon, while showing the same level of ignorance as those you accuse. I'm not ignorant, and I will prove your stupid little stereotypes wrong each and every time I can. If you want to put the bible down, then fine do so. But at least do it with merit, not by obvious manipulations that are status quo. I'm pretty brutal when it comes to Paul and the church. The things you highlighted aren't even relevant to society.

I'm glad you don't like my tone. -Snip-

[edit on 1-2-2009 by badmedia]

Mod Edit: To Remove Personal Insult. Please Review The Following Links.

Civility And Decorum Are Required on AboveTopSecret.com]

Terms and Conditions

[edit on 2-2-2009 by MemoryShock]

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   

I wasn't even talking to you, I was making an example of the way he stereotyped and dismissed me earlier in the thread based on my defense of the bible.

Uhm, by all appearances it looked like you were addressing me.

Aside from which, I'm not even talking about peoples specific beliefs. Read more of my posts, I can't stand organized religion or the church. Look at my foes list on my profile, you'll find the most literal and devout Christians on these forums.

Ok, you seem to be a person who likes to label. Your use of hate is something I don't agree with. Hate is an evil word not to be taken lightly. I personally don't hate anything, although I might strongly dislike some things. Am I supposed to be impressed about your foe list?

It's not about what people believe, it's about the low level thought process that brings about these beliefs. It's all really just people trying to convince the majority because nobody respects the individual. I think Atheists and Christians are exactly alike. I tick them both off. Christians accepted it all because they were told, Atheism is just the other side of the coin that rejects it all because of the people who believe it. Rarely does either side show anything that resembles intelligent thought in their opinions.

So it has nothing to do with personal beliefs. It's about low levels of thinking.

That is your opinion of people in regards to religion. Having grown up in the faith that I was raised in, I consider myself lucky to have been able to break away from tradition, in what I now believe. Some people are not so fortunate. I would not consider them being of a low level of thinking, although they might be brainwashed.

You can catch more flies with honey, than vinegar, if you're trying to make a point.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   

I am not a 'low-level' thinker. Looks like another stupid PC way of suggesting I am scum merely because I dared to question.

I was baptised Roman Catholic (as a newborn) and I denounced my faith when I was 16 because of all the bad press in the national newspapers with regards to priests in the catholic church 'interfering' with choir boys.

So because I no longer have faith, I am guessing I am atheist, but that does not make me a bible basher (so to speak) and most certainly not ignorant.

Everyone has the right to have faith in who / whatever, I respect that.

The bible is old, out of date, and not applicable to the world of today. IMO.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by twistedworld
Ditch this stupid book. I mean C'mon people everytime in humkan history that a government loses control of its people they create a new GOD. Jeeze if you were to spend the time and research GODS you would be suprised how many GODS we have created throughout human history. The bible itself has 4 GODS in it. The 1st GOD was Moses GOD and a tyrant and unforgiving GOD it was. The the governemtn lost control of its people 3k years ago and created a second GOD. A merciful and forgiving GOD and contrary to the 1st. Then 1 thousand year later they lost control again and crested a 3rd GOD, one they made a son of GOD to be a GOD. Actually its the same story that the egyptians used loang ago. The 4th GOD was created later by the catholics and this GOD is the supposed holy spirit. All in all there r 4 GODS that you all worship and then to top it off you worship pagans or saints and you worship statutues. Its hilarious actually when I see people doing this.

Do you think that maybe the understanding these things provided were the actual point of them in the first place, and then leaders come along and embrace the symbolism and force people to worship the idols as a means of forgetting the understandings the idols provided?

I mean, if I had to go to church and sit around giving lip service to Jesus all the time, I'd refuse. To worship someone in the manner people think of worship today is to be a slave, and I'm not interested in being a slave. But go ahead and compare the church and religion against the words of Jesus. Guess what? NONE of it truly reflects him. It all goes against the very things Jesus said.

In fact, Jesus himself would dismiss these religions. And he even talks about it. But nope, nobody has any real understanding, and so they either accept or reject it all. If they accept it, they embrace the idol most times and don't see the understanding, and if they reject it, it's always done because of the obvious hypocrisy of the religion. In BOTH cases, neither times was it done based on the actual understandings of Jesus, and both are low levels of thinking.

If Jesus was walking around, he's be screaming to take down the central banks, he'd be calling the religious leaders hypocrites, he's be saying down with the NWO. He's actually on "our" side, but you'd never know it looking at the church and religious people on a whole. And the sad part is he even warns about it.

It has nothing to do with the idol, and the people who focus on the idol are blind. And the people who focus on the idol are not only Christians, but also people who reject Christianity like atheists do. And this is all "good" and status quo, because the last thing TPTB really want anyone to have is real understanding. In the meantime, the atheists play the evil for the Christians, the Christians/Religions play the evil for the atheists, and you all blame each other like a bunch of hypocrites without realizing you're really exactly alike and all stuck on the same low levels of thinking.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by twistedworld
Ditch this stupid book. ....... All in all there r 4 GODS that you all worship and then to top it off you worship pagans or saints and you worship statutues. Its hilarious actually when I see people doing this.

I am with you there, I never really thought of the '4 god theory' but i like it.

Thanks for the post. But watch out, you might be accused of being an atheist.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join