It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible sitx due to happen in southern England.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 05:22 AM
link   
A possible sitx that may leave some people in trouble.

Here is the link

Now if we have some modest snow over here in the UK everything seems to go to pot.
I wonder if we have a few feet of snow, how many people will be caught out ???

I wonder how many people will moan about their cold homes while wondering around in there t-shirts.....

Well I suppose this is a watch this space thread, If anyone out there gets any more news of this, why not link it in this thread.

Now is the time to find out the hot water bottles and extra warm clothes and extra blankets.

Regards.

colec

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 05:36 AM
link   
The media have been bitching about this all week now. The smallest dusting sends them and the sheep into a tizzy.

I hope it does hit. Anything to keep the idiots off the capital's roads tomorrow.

Off to the pub with a pair of sturdy boots, buff, gloves and ski jacket just in case...

...just in case the Mackems do the double over us this season, then it might be a case of,

"I am just going out. I might be some time."

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 05:50 AM
link   
Thats not a sitx,thats a snowstorm.
I am from Canada and right now theres a few feet of snow from all the accumulation.
5 inches is laughable here.
Hardly a sitx situation.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 05:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Nirgal

I agree with the MSM ( main stream media ) making a big fuss about nothing but it would be interesting if it does hit.

I was out today at a local market and in the wind it was below freezing but it was interesting to see how many people were out in the cold with summer jackets on and with out hats or gloves. Some people are just looking to be punished time and time again.

I wonder why so many people feel the need not look after themselves.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 06:05 AM
link   
I love the snow. Can't beat getting snowed in.
After crashing my vehicle in the ice the other week and having to wait 5 hours for a tow truck I now advise everyone to kep some warm clothes in their car.

One thing I will say though is this. If it does snow then many old people in UK will struggle, this part is not media hype I see it with my own eyes everyday. Old people in the UK are not looked after and many die when it gets cold... ok maybe not many but enough for an Icelandic radio station to set up an appeal to send the OAPs in the UK clothes for over winter.
news.bbc.co.uk...
If it does snow and gets a bit bad (let's be honest compared to other countries our snow storms in the UK are pretty mild and as long as we wrap up warm we can go out in them) then please take a minute to think of the old guys down your street... give them a knock and make sure they have what they need.

I'm not preaching, in fact I'm not a very charitable person due to my idleness but lately in my job I've seen some pretty unnesessary things.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun
Thats not a sitx,thats a snowstorm.
I am from Canada and right now theres a few feet of snow from all the accumulation.
5 inches is laughable here.
Hardly a sitx situation.

Are yes but you live in Canada, this is the norm for you.
Over here in the UK the populas will complain about the weather if we have and inch of snow let alone a snow storm.

Over in Canada your infrastructure will still go on in a snow storm, our buses, trains and general infrastructure goes to pot.
Only because people do not prepare.
If it happens and we have a few inches snow, have a look at the UK news and all the problems that comes with it. Have a good laugh at us.

regards.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Nirgal

It snows constantly up the road from the UK in Norway and they seem to manage fine.

Howay the Toon.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 06:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Horus12

Howay indeed.

It does occur to me that I shall be leaving the relative safety of the capital first thing tomorrow for the land of the concrete cows.

With this in mind I shall be packing more than usual in my van. I'm not sure I could handle the ribbing from you lot if one was caught with his proverbial pants down.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 06:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Horus12

Yes what you have said is very true.
It amazes me how country's like Finland, Norway, Sweden etc. Just get on with life as normal and how this country thing seem to go down the pan.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by colec156

I won't laugh at the troubles you might be getting.
I just thought 5 inches of snow was a little comical for a sitx situation but you are right I didn't take into account how normal it is here and how you guys might not have the equipment to clean streets etc.
Good luck.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

Yes I admit it would see a little funny. The situation is not major at the moment but this may change by tonight, tomorrow morning.
I feel ready for the cold snap but I will keep this thread updated as we go.

This thread is more than open to anyone to update there own situation.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 06:45 AM
link   
I for one am looking forward to getting snowed in, lol

We are keeping an eye on the weather here in Central England however no snow yet. Sky is looking a distinctive grey though...

The SIT-X situation got me thinking as to how it dosent take a lot to cause problems here in the UK.

1) We have a few inches of snow- causes major disruption

2) We have a few days of sunshine - causes major disruption (hosepipe bans, mass casualties from heatstroke, etc)

I makes you realise how reliant we are on our delicate, moderate climate

[edit on 1/2/2009 by chroot]

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nirgal
reply to post by Horus12

Howay indeed.

It does occur to me that I shall be leaving the relative safety of the capital first thing tomorrow for the land of the concrete cows.

With this in mind I shall be packing more than usual in my van. I'm not sure I could handle the ribbing from you lot if one was caught with his proverbial pants down.

A wise decision.

It amazes me how things can go belly up very quickly with a small amount of snow - remembering back to the fiasco on the M11 short few years ago with traffic stopped on the motorway for hours and people having to be rescued.

We had some snow back in October and driving home from work around 8PM was a little dicey in places with near blizzard conditions and slippery roads. This did not stop many idiots tailgating the cars in front and at one point, when I slowed to around 25mph in a 30 zone due to slippery conditions and a snow covered road, the idiot tailgating me decided to boot it past me and nearly lost it, as he fishtailed back into his own lane in the face of oncoming traffic.
I too will be packing a change of clothes (2 days worth + snacks and bottle of water and cold weather gear) when I head off to work tomorrow. Got everything I need at the office - plenty of food, tv in the office, internet connection and a bed to sleep on in the first aid room, as well as showers in the gym.
I'd rather stay put and safe than try to get home in bad conditions and amongst idiotic drivers who seem to think all their flashy safety devices in the car will allow them to drive as they usually do in the summer.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by chroot

I makes you realise how reliant we are on our delicate, moderate climate

[edit on 1/2/2009 by chroot]

It really does open up your eyes to the situations that may find ourselves and how little we are prepared but after a little thought how prepared we can be.

I think that alot of the population have become sheep in they way we act and think.
There seems to be no thought about a what if situation.
Most people seem to be reactive rather than proactive about any type of situation.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by colec156
reply to post by Horus12

Yes what you have said is very true.
It amazes me how country's like Finland, Norway, Sweden etc. Just get on with life as normal and how this country thing seem to go down the pan.

Gets below freezing and the country grinds to halt, we are quite useless aren't we?!

I am of course speaking in general, present company excepted of course.

Still, it amazes me how this country ever achieved anything looking at the state of it now.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Lets clarify one small point here chaps and chapesses, its the South of England that grinds to a sudden halt if there is a light dusting of snow, or a strong breeze, or a few fallen leaves left unswept. 1/2 an inch of snow has the southerners running to the wine bars, shutting schools, cancelling trains , up in the North, Wales and Scotland we just get on with it

[edit on 1-2-2009 by Northern Raider]

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Britguy

Originally posted by Nirgal
reply to post by Horus12

I too will be packing a change of clothes (2 days worth + snacks and bottle of water and cold weather gear) when I head off to work tomorrow. Got everything I need at the office - plenty of food, tv in the office, internet connection and a bed to sleep on in the first aid room, as well as showers in the gym.
I'd rather stay put and safe than try to get home in bad conditions and amongst idiotic drivers who seem to think all their flashy safety devices in the car will allow them to drive as they usually do in the summer.

I only live a mile from work and it's very walkable in all conditions with the right clothing.
But I have a bag for the car I take if I have to make a journey.
This include warm clothing, some food snacks and bottled water.
I always keep a first aid kit in the car anyways and a blanket.

I am glad that this thread is getting alot of sensible chat and ideas going for what may happen.

Thanks guys.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 07:03 AM
link   
It's definitely chilly here in Scotland...the wind has changed direction completely overnight, and although I'm almost 40 miles inland, I can smell the sea. It's quite amazing!

It probably won't be as bad as forecasters fear, but I still hope that everyone is prepared and stocked up for a few days at least. We've had some monster snowfalls here in the Highlands in the last few years, and it takes quite a lot to stop life completely, but it does still happen. The key to comfort is always preparation. Fill the fridge, dig out the extra blankets, and get used to wearing 4 layers of clothes at all times. And a hat.

Then....enjoy!

Stay warm...

Cait

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 07:07 AM
link   
I can just see the sourtherners getting all hysterical because their Gucci designer survival kit, man bags, manscara, manliner is getting slightly damp. There Suzuki Jeeps with their foam bull bars are getting slush all over their metalic pink paint. Oh it will be a TEOTWAWKI situation in myriads of wine bars across the south .

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Northern Raider
Lets clarify one small point here chaps and chapesses, its the South of England that grinds to a sudden halt if there is a light dusting of snow, or a strong breeze, or a few fallen leaves left unswept. 1/2 an inch of snow has the southerners running to the wine bars, shutting schools, cancelling trains , up in the North, Wales and Scotland we just get on with it

[edit on 1-2-2009 by Northern Raider]

Ok NR lets get it straight.
There are many soft southerner's who make me ashamed of being southern.
Though I also know there any many southerners who will just get on with life.

Besides, I'm more for the local pub and a pint of ringwood best than any trendy wine bar.

I too will sit back and watch with a small content smile on my face, if / when the snow falls.

[edit on 1-2-2009 by colec156]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join