It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Possible sitx due to happen in southern England.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander

Originally posted by Northern Raider
American invasion of yet another country not connected with 911 etc etc.

Thanks for the definition, and I am pleased it provided you with an opportunity to have a go at us.

Kills two birds with one stone.

Harsh, but fair.

Er, harsh, but fair.

CX

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Whilst i agree that this isn't quite the Sit X many would usualy think of, having lived down here in the south for most of my life, i know full well how much this kind of weather can balls peoples lives up, even for a short while.

It still comes down to preparedness. The sad thing is though, every time it happens here, most are not prepared for it!

I live on a very small estate, and most of my neighbours are elderly. This is the kind of severe weather (for us at least) that can do major damage to water and gas pipes, and even just the cold can affect them badly.

Last time we had prolonged power cuts and it was this cold, i was handing out glowsticks and larger, more stable candles (coz they had these piddly thin things that would have fallen over in a second) and wind-up torches to those that hadn't tought of it. I was taking them down boiling water for drinks because they had no electric.

Ok, not a major survival situation, but some people can't go more than a day without heating. I like to think that during the easier "survival" scenarios such as this, we can use it as an oppurtunity to help others and show them that it pays to prepare for crap times.

I can understand though how our friends across the pond are probably peeing thier pants at this right now lol!

Stay safe, and keep smiling.

CX.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   
CX well that was weird. I am listening to an interview with Deepak Chokpra about coincidences, and posted or wrote my thread below as you obviously posted yours lol... well same advice Keep paying it forward friend.

...............................................................................................................

Well a good dusting in Southern Wales so far,

I doubt if this will settle as such because the winds are so strong, might get some drifts.

I am glad we are having seasons again, though the fact it is 1 month too late is not to good.

Just to say to all Phone your Parents, and any elderly you know, check on neighbours if ill or old,

Make sure they are okay over the next couple of days, and have the heating on, not worried about the news and money and freeze to death, -4 needs the heating full stop!

Make em a cuppa and take some hot soup eh.

Careful on the roads all.

Elf.

[edit on 1-2-2009 by MischeviousElf]

CX

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by MischeviousElf

Lol great minds think alike eh?

My kids actualy enjoy this weather believe it or not, at the weekend it was freezing here, but we were all kitted up and had a great day in the woods.

We had shelter, hot food and drink, and enough with us that we could have stayed out for a couple of days if we had wanted.

CX.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
When I use to live in London, the Trains (BR) used to be cancelled for the fact that there were leaves on the lines.
So unless there are woolly mammoths wandering around I would'nt worry to much about sit-X

[edit on 1-2-2009 by greenfruit]

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

You know what, I think someone finally got it. This rubbish isn't about running for the hills. It's about reinforcing those links with you neighbours. It's about helping those around you. Even if you can't stand their attitudes, just help a little. Let them know that in the deepest darkest times someone is prepared to lend assistance.

If they want to be jerks then yes, that's your cue. Here I would imagine offering my help would result in the largest portion of U.K. Bangladeshis being on hand... or not. Just don't cut your nose off to spite your face. Yes. WTSHTF you won't see me for dust. Remember though, your neighbours could become your greatest allies.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

Hey I remember making real Igloos when younger when real snow happened, real seasons and sleeping out in it, with a rug and sleeping blankets in the garden, was warm and fun that night.

Hey have fun with the kids, most young ones dont play in snow like they used to... and parents keep them wrapped up indoors... not normal or helathy...

Oh BTW teach them not to eat/drink or touch the "yellow Snow"

Elf.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Yeah, we had some snow flurries this afternoon more due later this week.

To be honest its overdue, its been very mild lately and though i'd prefer our typical milder English weather we are use to snow and cold this time of year so bring it!!

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual

A couple of years ago, work sent me home after it had been snowing for about an hour. My usual 20 minute journey home turned into a 3 hour one, as every business in the surrounding area sent their staff home too. The floor was lightly dusted with snow and by the time I got home (less than 10 miles away), there wasn't a snowflake in sight.

What still makes me laugh to this day was my local radio station setting up a "friends and family helpline", for people to ring and make pleas for those they hadn't heard from in the last couple of hours or were particularly concerned about - seemingly oblivious to the fact that the "snowstorm" was more of a snow "whisper"

After a couple of pleas (e.g. "Phillip this is your mother. Are you ok? You haven't rung in the last hour"), the district fire officer advised us that the electricity supply might be disrupted by the "tumultuous" snow storm. He finished his monologue with "remember folks, candles can cause fires"

What ever happened to the Great in Great Britain? IMO most people sadly wouldn't stand a chance if anything of real significance happened.

[edit on 1/2/09 by lizziejayne]

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I live in South West England and I hope it does snow, and I doubt it will be a sitx, It will be business as usuall just a little colder.

CX

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Well i bought another couple boxes of teabags today.

Bring on the snow.....surviving Sit X.....Brit style!!!

CX.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Well, the Met Office maps are changing almost completely every two hours, and now they have flash warning out for southern counties, marked in red on the map here.

www.metoffice.gov.uk...

It's really unusual that they go to flash warnings, and many other areas are now on higher alert than even an hour ago.

Stay warm and safe everyone. Buy more teabags and keep the cat in!

Cait

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by caitlinfae

Hey thanks for the Link & heads up Catlinfae,

For the areas where the "Flash" warnings have just been issued people should realise this actually could be quite serious hope not

Chance of happening:
Very high
>80%
Extreme weather is imminent or occurring.

Major damage to infrastructure and the environment is likely. Casualties are possible

Follow orders and any advice given by authorities under all circumstances and be prepared for extraordinary measures

Seems quite worrying for those areas with the flash warning just issued.

Elf

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Ah, yup, Elf...I should have included that information. I was trying to be all grown up and sensible, and not run around like a girl screaming "Don't panic!! don't panic!!

But you're absoluely right, this could potentially be really serious, and people need to keep watching.

love

Cait x

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by lizziejayne

I don't think it's quite that dramatic here right now. There was a slight flurry of snow earlier, but here in Buckinghamshire there's nothing to report apart from an inch of snow, hardly enough to end the world. Or even slow it down for that matter.

It's not snowing at the moment.

I hope it stays actually, I might go for a walk tomorrow morning. Would be nice to walk through the park with snow on the ground.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   
No snow down here on the Isle of Wight (@ 0115 hrs) yet and probably not likely. Its surprising how 5 miles of seawater can make a difference to us getting severe weather or not. We have clear skies at the moment.

[edit on 1/2/09 by Wotan]

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by caitlinfae

lol

Yep don't want to alarm people you are right Catlinfae,

However just about to wind down for the night and go and visit the world of the subconscious...

just to add for all before I do

All London Buses Withdrawn From services for Monday,

"Extreme" weather event expected overnight met office saying "worst in over 7 Yrs "

Just on BBC world service 1 am news.

Good night all not work in London Tomorrow lol if by bus, stay warm and safe.

Please do help your neighbours, or the elderly or in need if it is safe to do so, and weather bad where you are.

Kind Regards,

Elf.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   
OOOOH! I take it all back what I said a couple of posts above. Its now 0125 hrs and there is a thin layer of fine snow on the ground and the sky is pinkish clouds.

CX

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Thats right Elf, the bus situation is on the BBC news site now.

news.bbc.co.uk...

"Transport for London said all London buses had been withdrawn from service due "to adverse weather and dangerous driving conditions", however Scotland Yard said there were no major problems reported."

Thats going to be a sight in itself. I don't think i've ever seen London with no buses running.

CX.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun
Thats not a sitx,thats a snowstorm.
I am from Canada and right now theres a few feet of snow from all the accumulation.
5 inches is laughable here.
Hardly a sitx situation.

How right you are, that is not a sitx.

Forgive me if you live in the south of England, but 1 inch of snow seems to grind the south to a halt. Why is that? If an inch falls in London, for some unknown reason it makes headline news, and the capital almost grinds to a halt.
Man, in Scotland we will see 2ft of snow, and we still go about our business. To the north of Scotland, snowfall is usually heavier, and they still go about their business.

Spose that is why Canada and Scotland get on real good.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join