Possible sitx due to happen in southern England.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Horus12

Thing is we used to cope with it fine here too until after 10 yrs or so without a good dumping and now the media exagerate beyond belief when a slight snow shower is on the way, that and a new generation of people who have forgotten what a good winter feels like & who cause everything to grind to a halt.

Its pathetic, i wish it would dump hard for a few weeks just to observe how much of a wake up call it would be to most.

[edit on 1/2/09 by cropmuncher]

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 07:24 AM
link   
And there are plenty of orange perma-tanned lunatics up north too!
It's just with the sheer population of degenerates we have here in the South in sprawling estates that the Blitz spirit becomes a little diluted.

In all seriousness, this sort of thing should only affect the already vulnerable: the ill, the elderly, the very young etc...

School kids should be really looking forward to Monday morning.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by cropmuncher
reply to post by Horus12

Thing is we used to cope with it fine here too until after 10 yrs or so without a good dumping and now the media exagerate beyond belief when a slight snow shower is on the way, that and a new generation of people who have forgotten what a good winter feels like & who cause everything to grind to a halt.

Its pathetic, i wish it would dump hard for a few weeks just to observe how much of a wake up call it would be to most.
[edit on 1/2/09 by cropmuncher]

Yes a good snowfall of around 2-3 foot, for a period of 2-3 weeks would be a very good test and eye opener.
But the problem with this would be the councils saying, we spent to much money clearing the roads of snow etc so here is your 8% increase in council tax. Any excuse.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Four inches of snow are forecast for the south east, home counties of England. This is for Monday/Tuesday turning to sleet /rain Wednesday.
I have just checked my portable gas heater , candles and batteries for torches.however the forecasters tend to over react since the storm of 1987, so I expect a light dusting :-)

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Reap

Yeah - thanks micheal fish.... or was it john kettly?
Anyhow, frustrating isnt it - when it doesnt come like they say it will, mind you its snowing here now.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I remember walking through two feet of snow as a kid.

The world didn't end.

Why are we all so suddenly scared of a little snow?

This will be made into more than it is. We'll see reports of people without power "for Hours!!!!" as if it's some sort of disaster.

It's not.

People are becoming more pathetic with each passing day.
The outrageous reactions people have to this is more scary than a bit of snow. IMO.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by cropmuncher

I remember it well...I think it was Michael Fish, bless him. and I can understand that the Met Office have to be careful, cos lives depend on it, but in this part of the world, we listen to the road report first and know we're in trouble when we hear "...and the A939 Cockbridge to Tomintoul road is closed due to snow...." and that we're probably going to have a few problems at lower levels.

And yes....a good dump of a big pile of snow for a couple of weeks would do us good, I think.

Cait

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual
I remember walking through two feet of snow as a kid.

The world didn't end.

Why are we all so suddenly scared of a little snow?

This will be made into more than it is. We'll see reports of people without power "for Hours!!!!" as if it's some sort of disaster.

It's not.

People are becoming more pathetic with each passing day.
The outrageous reactions people have to this is more scary than a bit of snow. IMO.

Primarily because back then most nations like the US and UK had smaller populations, local power stations, not that many people commuted etc. today our nations are absolutely reliant on fast movement of people to and from work, our shops are all on the edges of towns our power stations in remote locations.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   
OK for some one that has had to drive in a lot of snow here in the states. Slow down, get some chains or snow tires and slow down. Give yourself 4 times as much distance between cars and slow down. If you have 4 wheel drive, slow down, you can not stop any faster with 4 wheel drive than two wheel drive.

If you get a freak storm and get 2 to 4 feet of snow like the people north of us did this year. Clear the snow off of your roof or it may come crashing into your bed room. Roofs are designed for certain loads and you exceed that weight and it will come down in your bed room.

If you have a front wheel drive car minimize the weight in your boot. If you have a rear wheel drive car put two bags of kitty litter in the boot. The added weight helps with traction and if you get stuck a little bit the kitty litter can be put in front and behind the drive wheels to aid traction.

If you are trying to drive in deep snow watch your engine temp. I had to drive out of a place and was pushing snow with my bumper and the snow gets packet into the radiator and the car will over heat. I had to stop twice in four miles to clear the snow from my radiator.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Northern Raider

I'm only talking 20 years ago.

We regularly had snow deep and prolonged enough to have sledge races, build igloos...

I'm not so sure travel has changed that much in this time. My dad commuted 40 miles for work then. Most power stations are still in the same places, in fact more is underground now than it ever was before surely? New towns don't have overhead cables, and they've been springing up all over the UK in the past 50 years.

I'm more inclined to think it's people being unreasonably dramatic, and the media needing to focus on something in the UK.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Well the snow is falling in Essex but further down the coast the sky is clear at the moment.

The temperature is dropping though.

Whats it like where you are at the moment.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Your weather report from East London:

Snow. A fair amount. Slightly horizontal in places, settling where no vehicles are moving.

Could be fun by morning. Jumpers for goalposts, kids getting the day off school.

Fun aside, I'm sure some will think the end is upon them. So far it's okay out there. The fact that I nearly melted en route to the pub at 13:00 was subsumed by the fact that the journey home was all possible manners of toasty.

My coat, gloves and buff rock! ... so far.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Nirgal

Thanks for the update from London. Nirgal.
We had a few flakes down here but nothing major yet.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
As a 'soft sotherner' myself can i say -this is not a sitx.

I just walked barefoot down my garden, my feet got cold in the snow OMG. I don't think i'll reach for my bugout bag just yet
I can still walk to tesco, no need to panic yet!

If we get two feet of snow then maybe we'll have to get the army to deliver food aid to old people, i don't think even it we had 2feet of snow right up till march it would matter.

Oh and we've had snow in jan most years, when i was born back in '82 there was an inch of snow and about this time last year too, my advice is to wrap up warm and don't drive too fast.

edit to add: Essex weather report, we have a little snow maybe 2vm, we could well see snowball fights in the play grounds!

[edit on 1-2-2009 by NatureBoy]

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
No. This "snow" is not a SitX. What will potentially be a SitX is tomorrow at some point, if not on the M1 northbound then on the southbound slightly later. I can almost guarantee some monkey will plaster their vehicle against another thus causing a ridiculous tailback.

In the summer it wouldn't be an issue. Tomorrow, who knows. I'm no paranoid dillusionist; I just don't want to be caught out by some other's idiocy.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

HAHA very much true my friend. I'm on the East Coast and were doing about a 20cm a week on average in the last month or so.

I understand britains aren't really prepared or dressed for that much snow, and that your city is not really built to remove such snow.

But still, just bundle up, you'll all be fine, the snow isn't going to crash your society. And even if it does do some damage, you guys will get spring rains LONG before we do.

~Keeper

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I hate to sound like a stupid American, but I am, so..........

What is the definition of a "sitx?" I have never heard the term, and my experience of snow is limited to a majority of my life being spent in Hawaii with the remainder in sunny New Mexico.

Thanks in advance.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander
I hate to sound like a stupid American, but I am, so..........

What is the definition of a "sitx?" I have never heard the term, and my experience of snow is limited to a majority of my life being spent in Hawaii with the remainder in sunny New Mexico.

Thanks in advance.

A SITX is like a SHTF or a TEOTWAWKI, Usually a SITUATION UNKNOWN ie an unforcast event like a terror attack,blizzard, storm, natural disaster, financial collapse,crop failure, fuel crisise, bloody great quake, tsunami or volcanic eruption, Zombie outbreak, American invasion of yet another country not connected with 911 etc etc.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Stinking great Blizzard here in SW Co Durham, strong winds blowing icy snow rather than fluffy snow everywhere, there is a gritter stuck at the bottom of the bank between two local villages, visability probably 30 yards or there abouts, minus two before wind chill taken into account.

posted on Feb, 1 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Northern Raider
American invasion of yet another country not connected with 911 etc etc.

Thanks for the definition, and I am pleased it provided you with an opportunity to have a go at us.

Kills two birds with one stone.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join