I just read up on the patriot act, perhaps you know something that i dont about it. What kind of danger does the patriot act put your average law
abiding citizen in?
Don't mean to insult you, but I think you should have done a bit more reading. Here's what's wrong with the Patriot Act:
1. The government can conduct a 'sneak and peek' search of your home without a warrant, and doesn't have to notify you until later. Just a little
bit disturbing when you have so much corruption in Washington.
2. The government can go look at your library record, look at what book stores you've visited, what books you've read, doctor's offices, banks,
etc... And if the location they searched informs you about the search, they could face prosecution.
3. The FBI, ATF, and Secret Service can install bugs in any of your communications devices (phones, computer monitoring, pager, etc...) even when you
are not suspected of a crime.
4. Federal Agents can detain and arrest anyone suspected of (sweeping term) "terrorist activities" and detain them indefinitely without charging
them with a crime or providing access to an attorney.
5. Federal Agents can fully investigate anyone who engages in protest activities, or is an activist for a certain cause.
6. Federal Agents can listen to conversations between prisoners and their attorneys, voiding the right to legal counsel.
7. Anyone 'suspected' of terrorist activities can be tried by a military tribunal where there is no jury, no right to counsel, no right to see
evidence against you, and no right to appeal.
8. The CIA, the United State's foreign spy agency, is permitted to use its advanced spy equipment domestically on American Citizens without
Also See Full Text: Patriot Act: Full Text
It is the most horrible, Anti-American piece of garbage ever dragged through the slimy halls of congress and dumped on the citizenry. It has
essentially eviscerated civil liberties.
Although, I don't think you'll have a problem if you're a tight-lipped follower who would rather obey than question. Because if you protest or
criticize the government, you can legally be entered into a database and tracked, all legally because of the Patriot Act.
Heck they can even throw your name on the massive 'terrorist watch list.' As many journalists who tell the truth and criticize the government can
tell you, it's pretty hard to fly anywhere when you get on this list.
The current number of people on the list is over 1 million, including many children (source:
Also, please don't even bring into discussion the 'threat meter,' aka the 'propaganda ladder,' it's complete hogwash and is just used to incite