It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School sport coach sacked after 100-0 win

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   

School sport coach sacked after 100-0 win

www.news.com.au

A HIGH school basketball coach was sacked after he refused to apologise for his team's 100-0 thrashing of a crosstown rival.

The Covenant School in Dallas, Texas, beat the Dallas Academy by the stunning margin in a match played on January 13.

Last week, the school posted a message on its website apologising for the win. "It is shameful and an embarrassment that this happened. This clearly does not reflect a Christlike and honourable approach to competition," the message read.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   
So the team wins and the coach gets sacked?

So the two teams are both tangled up with christ, therefore one has to turn the other cheek?

I can't believe how ridiculous some people can be. It's another example of society forced into being apologetic.

This kind of news article shows how patently stupid some humans can be.

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   
No it just pretty much shows how stupid people are that have a religous background..... Its sport for christs sake *scuse the pun*...... you are meant to win and be competitive

and the fact that this story is from America dosn't suprise me at all......

the sooner we have EBE / UFO disclosure etc the sooner we can get rid of religion and start afresh

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Well will you look at that? Good ol' fashioned Christian morals that is. Can't let anybody win anything these days without making a fuss over it.

Those girls played a wicked game of basket ball, i mean what did they want them to do, go easy? No it's a competitive sport for reason, now i could understand them stopping the game after a 0-50 or something, but if they didn't that's they're coaches issue. He shouln't be fired cause he taught them how to play great ball.

Simply ridiculous.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Yeah, you're right. It's another example of reigion and everyday common-sense not mixing well.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   
This is no surprise, liberalism is running rampant in schools today. I know some will scream "It is a Christian School"....It doesn't matter...the principal and administrators most likely were indocrinated through liberal universities.

This would be the ideal high school sporting event in today liberal high schools. Let's get together, shoot some hoops, turn off the scoreboard, and at the end we'll just call it a tie, drink some kool-aid, then sing kumbya!

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   
go to the message boards for the article, there re people stating that that was unsportsmanlike conduct, cause they won, and they won hard. Big deal, you lose that bad, you haven't won a game in 4 years, it's your coaches fault. Recruit some kids if you real really really want to copete. No, let's just make them forfeit(which they are stating they might do) so the big losers get a win for the first time since any of them hit puberty.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Clearly you guys never read the original article. The team was up 59-0 at halftime and kept playing full court press and shooting three point shots. It's one thing to win big with class and another to win without class. Playing like that is playing without class.

The coach got fired because after the administration apologized he chose to go against them in public.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Barney18

And... because they are already winning means they should go easy???
Come on... that's silly!!

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Not one point...can't even draw a foul...

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I wouldn't be suprised if the team that lost gets trophies for continuing to play and not walk off the court.

Thats one of the major things wrongs with this country (America), there can never be a loser. Kids grow up nowdays thinking that they don't have to try at all. They are so used to losing their soccer game and still getting a pizza party, they think real life is like that and it isn't!

They grow up and wonder why they didn't get a certain job or a raise when they haven't earned it. So they start filing lawsuits and whatnot because there were no losers when they were kids.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup

And... because they are already winning means they should go easy???
Come on... that's silly!!

When you are winning by an insurmountable margin you don't go easy but you don't do things like full court press. It's pretty simple how to act with class and how not too.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by leisuredrummer
I wouldn't be suprised if the team that lost gets trophies for continuing to play and not walk off the court.

Thats one of the major things wrongs with this country (America), there can never be a loser. Kids grow up nowdays thinking that they don't have to try at all. They are so used to losing their soccer game and still getting a pizza party, they think real life is like that and it isn't!

They grow up and wonder why they didn't get a certain job or a raise when they haven't earned it. So they start filing lawsuits and whatnot because there were no losers when they were kids.

Perhaps you should do some research about the team ... [ill-mannered comment removed]

Mod Note: General ATS Discussion Etiquette – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 26-1-2009 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   

It has nothing to do with class??

Classy is whooping a team by 100+ points to nil!!

Why should you have to "play nice" or make them feel better?

Sport is a competition.... if they want to make it pro or carry on after school, They'll have to realize that sooner or later.

Seriously....

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   

What research should we do about the losing team? And don't come off pouting off about "Disabilities" like people in other forums have. Dyslexia is no excuse for not knowing how to playthe sport you are trying to play. Bring your A game or go home.

That's how it works inthe real world. Or maybe we want to get everyone to stop doing their best.

"Sory Ma'am, can't put the fire out in your housebecause the other fire stations haven't been able to in four years and suc at their jobs, your cats have to die now."

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup

It has nothing to do with class??

Classy is whooping a team by 100+ points to nil!!

Why should you have to "play nice" or make them feel better?

Sport is a competition.... if they want to make it pro or carry on after school, They'll have to realize that sooner or later.

Seriously....

Yeah, you are right, it's classy to see how badly you can humiliate another team, how long your starters can keep running up the score, how long your fans and players can cheer to break 100 points, to not give your subs the chance to play quality minutes and improve their game.

I pray to God that you do not coach for a living...or at all.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Finn1916

What research should we do about the losing team? And don't come off pouting off about "Disabilities" like people in other forums have. Dyslexia is no excuse for not knowing how to playthe sport you are trying to play. Bring your A game or go home.

That's how it works inthe real world. Or maybe we want to get everyone to stop doing their best.

"Sory Ma'am, can't put the fire out in your housebecause the other fire stations haven't been able to in four years and suc at their jobs, your cats have to die now."

Research as to how they haven't won in four years but still come out and play hard. How they play hard and didn't complain when the jackass coach for the other team decided to get his personal jollies against them. That kind of research. Of course you're too busy making assumptions and ... [ill-mannered comment removed]

Mod Note: General ATS Discussion Etiquette – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 26-1-2009 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Barney18
Yeah, you are right, it's classy to see how badly you can humiliate another team,

Are you familiar with sport at all?

Many competitions last a season. Teams are ranked and placed on a ladder. Often, teams with equal wins/losses need to be separated. The usual manner to separate these teams is to use percentages of goals (points) scored for and against.

In light of a season long competition, it is better for a team to not only win, but to win by as much as they can to improve their percentage and their rank on the ladder. It is poor form for a coach to NOT encourage a team to win by as much as possible.

In this case, I don't know if it was a one-of game or part of a competition. I don't really care. The simple fact is that it's ok to not only win, but to show how much you can win by.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   
For as long as I can remember, it has been a tenet of good sportsmanship not to run up the score on an opponent for the sheer thrill of it.

There are precious few facts regarding this issue, but clearly there is more going on than just a basketball game.

It's hard to imagine a team so out gunned that they would give up 100 points without one single score. I don't know what a coach could have done, except to keep playing. You can't just freeze the ball for the duration of the game.

I think it would all be a more clear with more facts.

I would think that the conduct of the winning team would also be a factor.

I know this, though.

This incident is a poor excuse to start wailing on religion and those who use it as such exhibit poor values and judgement.

[edit on 2009/1/26 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by tezzajw

Originally posted by Barney18
Yeah, you are right, it's classy to see how badly you can humiliate another team,

Are you familiar with sport at all?

Many competitions last a season. Teams are ranked and placed on a ladder. Often, teams with equal wins/losses need to be separated. The usual manner to separate these teams is to use percentages of goals (points) scored for and against.

In light of a season long competition, it is better for a team to not only win, but to win by as much as they can to improve their percentage and their rank on the ladder. It is poor form for a coach to NOT encourage a team to win by as much as possible.

In this case, I don't know if it was a one-of game or part of a competition. I don't really care. The simple fact is that it's ok to not only win, but to show how much you can win by.

1) High school leagues do not use point or goal differentials.

2) A good coach does not encourage his or her team to win by as much as possible when it means humiliating the opponent after the game is out of reach. A good coach acts with class and uses the blowout to get his subs experience and work. He or she also uses it as a teaching experience.

Please stay away from coaching anyone under the age of 18, since, like the now fired coach, it's clear you won't be teaching them anything good.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join