It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School sport coach sacked after 100-0 win

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:37 PM
link   
P.S.- For those who doubt what the coach was doing, after the score became 100-0 they did not score for the last four minutes. Apparently he had no issue not forcing the ball up court and pressing to get to 100 points and then stopping.

Micah Grimes is a class act.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I have been both a coach and a player and I will tell you that when you step on the court is game on. If I'm winning by 10 I want to win by 20 and so on and so forth.

When I used to coach if I was winning by a wide margin I usually use some of the time left to practice strategies for other games and alike.

What should happen here is that the league this kids play in should institute some kind of mercy rule, if your team is winning by 40 at halftime is game over, something like that.

Neither the coach or the players that won that game have anything to feel bad about, and the other team I bet you they would never let anyone beat them like that again.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Seems to me that the real winners here are the ones who went through a 100 point loss, finished the game, held their heads up and walked away without being a bunch of whiny idiots or arrogant jerks.

Maybe four years of playing the game and never quitting taught them something that some of us will never learn.
I think the term is maturity.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 11:29 PM
link   
In my day, they used to say, "It's not whether you win or lose, but how you play the game."

Of course, that is an ideal of sportsmanship that recognizes that sports can teach some of the most valuable lessons for life.

Winning isn't everything.

How to be a gracious winner and a gracious loser.

How to play as a team.

Practice, practice, practice.

If at first you don't succeed, try, try again.

Play to win.

There is no substitute for victory.

The future is now.

And perhaps the most important, how to put the contradictions into perspective.

[edit on 2009/1/26 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 11:36 PM
link   
yeah I saw this story and its so stupid. The whole point of a sport is to win.

They won big time so the guy gets fired? Crazy.

100-0. In my opinion if anyone should be fired, it should be the coach responsible for a whopping 0 points scored.

The highschool I went to in Texas, we took sports seriously, we would win and try to win as big as possile. (My old football team finally won the state championship this year)

In my town, if our team won 100-0 the coach and team would be the heros of the week.

If the other team got their feelings hurt, tough.

What ever learning from your mistakes and moving on?

Ugh... Its just so dumb.

I cant believe the fired, a coach who is good enough to win a game 100-0.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 01:02 AM
link   
100-0. Thats incredible. I'm glad he got fired, and got this attention... maybe he'll be looked at by a minor league team or something and make a decent living off being a fantastic coach - because thats what he is.

This is a case that could only possibly be skewed by religion. I find it hilarious.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Sorry my friend but I have done my research and I still don't agree with them firing the coach.

I hope YOU don't coach anyone under 18 because I would be afraid to see what happens when your players hit the real world. You play to win, that is the point of competition. As long as they played fair and square and weren't laughing, etc at the other team, then I see no wrong doing.

Just because a team hasn't won in four years doesn't mean the other team should short themselves. I'm assuming your the type that believes everyone deserves a trophy, yes? What happens when they play college sports and they don't recieve their trophy for last place? Do they get depressed, do they write letters and complain?

These kids need to be prepared for the real world, things don't come handed to you on a silver platter, you have to work for them. The real world is a lot like sports, it's not going to let up on you when your down and out, you have to work as hard as you can to come out on top.

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 07:12 AM
link   
If you look into the story a little bit deeper, the team the won 100-0 and the coach that coached them lost a game 84-6 a few years prior.

Whats the difference between losing a game by a 100 or 78 points? It comes down to 100 is a nice round number that people can remember, so its going to stick with them. The league is a joke, there are blowouts all the time. Firing a coach because his team his finally is on the winning end of a blow out is retarded.

If anyone should be fired it should be the coach on the other team. Teach the girls how to shoot a lay up!

posted on Jan, 27 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Stupid, they should be ashamed for sacking a coach that can produce a team that can do that.

"I'm sorry for whooping your ass so bad. I'm sorry your team sucks big time"

Just stupid. I mean cmon, it's sports, does Michael Phelps have to apologize to the world for his gold medals?

HELL NO! he won them fair and square, now if this team played dirty or they put ringers in from the Chicago Bulls or something I could understand, but to beat a team fairly?

top topics

<< 1   >>

join