It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Star Driven Auto Applause

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
reply to post by blupblup

And who's obsessed with it? :shk: Why do people have to go there? It's just an idea. Relax already.

Eh?

How am i not relaxed.. i thought we were discussing this...?

Now I'm puzzled??

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by ziggystar60
If you see a good post that you think deserves an applause from the staff, why not send a U2U to one of the Mods in that forum? I have done it many times, and the Mods have followed up on my suggestion and awarded the poster the 500 points.

Yeah well don't you see what I am suggesting would take that additional load off the staff and reduce those u2u's to a minimum? My God, if every time we saw a post like that we sent u2u's or comp/suggs, jesus. They'd be overwhelmed. It would increase their workload, that's why I don't, or very rarely ever do that. What mod wants their mailbox filled with these kinds of u2u's to increase their workload, forcing them to go and read posts, and taking away time they need to just keep the discussions civil. You are not making sense.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

It makes perfect sense.

That's what the U2U system is for in my opinion. It's not specifically for complaints, that's why the Alert button is there.

Sending one of the mod's assigned to a specific board a note letting them know you think a member is making good contributions is not a big deal. I also don't think you'd hear any complaints from the staff about that either.

It's what they are here for.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Hey it's an idea. Nothing wrong with putting forward something for discussion. In the meantime, the best thing to do would be to submit an ALERT! (those don't have to be for something negative) or Complaint/Suggestion from the Member Center. Those go to a forum reviewable by all staff. A u2u can sometimes delay action due to something a staff member has going on here or RL (yes we have a RL too). We're always glad to get some feedback and the positive ones about another member are really nice to see.

So if you see a post you think is applause worthy, by all means a notification to the staff is appropriate.

By the way, if you use the Complaint/Suggestion function, please include a link to the post. That would make it a lot simpler.

[edit on 1/26/2009 by yeahright]

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Well, none of the Mods seemed to think that my U2Us were to much to handle... Actually I have recieved many U2Us with "thank you" messages from different Mods after making suggestions about applauses.

So I guess the two of us just have to agree to disagree about this particular subject.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

Thanks for clearing that up

And a real life???

what's that??

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

I did exactly that a couple days ago for craig. And you know what happened? NOTHING. And that's exactly what prompted me to write the OP. Ahh, ok so you are the man then. You wanna see u2u's?
Ok.

Some people around here just can't stand it when someone has a good idea to improve the board. Well

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I am always more than happy to receive a U2U or a Staff Alert suggesting a poster get an applause.

As YR said, please include a link to the post and one or two lines on why you think the post deserves an applause if possible.

I don't think the idea of an auto-applause would be a good one. We need to keep humans in the loop.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Nobody said it wasn't a good idea.

There are already things in place that can alert staff to worthy posts though, and I think a new automated function would be unnecessary.

That doesn't mean it isn't a good idea though.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   
It is my opinion that applauses are just a nice thing the staff dose when they find something they really appreciate....it's a personal thing, not something that others should attempt to guide. It's not something meant to be incorporated into some auto board code and it really wouldn't mean as much if it did.

[edit on 1/26/2009 by kinglizard]

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   

My fault. I guess I wasn't clear. A u2u isn't necessarily the best way to go. An Alert or Complaint/Suggestion would probably be best since you never know what someone may have going on that might cause a delay in the u2u response. Everything that comes in via Alert or Complaint/Suggestion is reviewed in a timely fashion. Not every Alert or Complaint/Suggestion will result in the action a member is requesting.

Another thing you might consider is a u2u directly to the member you're putting up for Applause. Sometimes receiving that kind of recognition from a fellow member is just as rewarding.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright
Another thing you might consider is a u2u directly to the member you're putting up for Applause. Sometimes receiving that kind of recognition from a fellow member is just as rewarding.

I tend to do that when i see a good post.
And people are usually really chuffed to get the message.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by kinglizard

You know what king, I am really tempted right here to open up my floodgates. But I won't, just out of respect. It has not been a fair system since day 1 for the very reasons I mentioned, at it is at the mercy of who just happens to get read by mods. You guys are just too busy. The lack of moderation in some threads is obvious. The mods can't keep up, and admittedly so.

edit: and furthermore, it would mean a whole lot more to get the joint applause from all the peers under this system, as opposed to what I perceive to be pretty biased system, with the power held closely only by mods. I by no means am suggesting to remove that power whatsoever. I am merely suggesting that some of that be in the hands of all, not just the mods. This system would do that. Sorry if it steps on your territory, but I feel it is needed.

[edit on Mon Jan 26th 2009 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Actually, what we need is something to SPEND THE POINTS ON.

I'm a girl and I like to SHOP.

Gimme some cool things to spend the points on!

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   

I wonder if people are focusing on the wrong thing. To me, ATS is less about acquiring points and more about Member-driven content.

Post something that is well-researched and cited, make people think, raise the level of dialog and the points will come.

After all once you get above, say 10-20K points, there really isn't use for more, is there?

Yes, it does raise the level of respect to see a person has a lot of applauses, but they're given more on the basis of a Mod's particular interest and not exactly based on anything else.

Interesting topic and as I said, if you think a post/poster deserves an applause, U2U me any time and/or post a Staff Alert and we'll all be happy to review it. In fact using a Staff Alert you may get more than one applause.

I might add, the Mods, themselves, will bring up a post they think deserves an applause and we all go S&F and applaud those we deem worthy.

[edit on 1/26/2009 by Badge01]

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Badge01
Yes, it does raise the level of respect to see a person has a lot of applauses, but they're given more on the basis of a Mod's particular interest and not exactly based on anything else.

Bingo. And that's why it is not representative across the board, and this system would help offset that to make it more balanced and fair. Read that again folks, there you have it from a mods' own admission.

And I tell ya, I really wonder what those bar colors would look like if this system were in place. For those that don't understand what I mean, your bar color right now is reflective of your applause to post ratio (for members, mods are different.) At least that's the best any of us can come up with, because nowhere has it ever been officially divulged, even after repeatedly prodding SO about it. I think. Not sure on that. Green is the base color. As it stands now if you are just a member and your color is orange, you are a genius- according to mods- not the members.

[edit on Mon Jan 26th 2009 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   

You've misinterpreted my comments and it's not appreciated.

Just because a Mod applauds something based on interest DOES NOT mean we don't focus primarily on merit.

The applause system is doing it's job and does not need to be automated.

In addition, pushing this agenda by putting your own wrong spin on a comment is not helping your case.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   

The applause system is doing it's job and does not need to be automated.

If it really were badge, I would have not made this thread. And I am not saying to automate it entirely. I am merely saying that with this system the applauses would be more balanced, as input from the members would play a part.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 10:39 AM
link   

In addition, pushing this agenda by putting your own wrong spin on a comment is not helping your case.

Oh, so now that means I can just forget about ever getting another one from you, at least for a while. Yeah great.

NOW YOU PEOPLE SEE WHY THIS IS NEEDED?

I rest my case.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I guess I have to question the suggestion or premise that "stars" necessarily represent something as substantial as "quality" or "insight".
Sometimes they do, but, as in herd mentality, it could just be a popularity thing. Lots of people get caught up in things because others are into it before realizing that maybe it "wasn't all that" in the end.
As in life, some people have a personality or aura that attracts attention - and on here that sort is likely to get more stars than others regardless of how insightful or informative their posts are.
I appreciate your concern about fairness, or lack thereof, but its all very subjective in the end -- whether its a star or applause. You are never going to achieve complete objectivity.
Do your part and point out the good posts and you've done something to make it better. Good enough IMHO.
cheers

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join