It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Star Driven Auto Applause

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:40 AM
link   
I don't think this has been posted before, but around here anything is possible.

What if when a member reached a certain amount of peer-awarded stars on a post, the system would automatically generate and award an applause to the poster?

Same 500 points or whatever. Question is how many stars should this take if it could be done? Could it even be done? Anyone think this is a good idea?

If this was possible, my vote would be for 50 stars or so.

Every once in a while when I see a really good post, I might check that member's profile to see how they are "doing" in a general sense. Well, over time, years actually, I have noticed what I really feel to be a lack of applause on some posters that just really doesn't make sense to me. And a few times I have felt so strongly about this, I have submitted a comp/sugg urging staff to reconsider.

But staff have continually stated that they cannot moderate or even read all the posts here, because there are just simply too many, up to 6,000 per day or more!

So I propose this, not as a solution to any "problem" necessarily, but as a new feature the board might consider to increase credit where credit is due- as defined by what other ATS members think in addition to what staff think- or even have the time to contemplate.

If this happened there should probably be a filter that would not allow this to happen on a one liner post. Maybe there should be a minimum character limit imposed, so that the post would need to contain some real content and effort and trip the filter appropriately.

U2U: You have been awarded a SDAA from your peers by stars on this (url) post, in this(url) thread! Thank you for your contributions and keep up the good work! Please do not respond to this U2U.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:43 AM
link   
don't stars stack up to points anyways? i thought they did. if not they should. sorry, this is perhaps random.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   
reply to post by pieman

If points are being awarded with stars, I was not aware of this.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:49 AM
link   
No... stars are separate from points.

I fear that it could be a corruptible idea...
like gangs or friends just starring each other for the sake of it...

i dunno...

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   
It's not a bad idea, and I'd go out on a limb to say it's something that has probably been thrown about upstairs before.

More than likely the issue would be getting everything set up to preform this function automatically. I know there have been issues recently with space for the site, so I don't know how many new features like this could be implemented.

I have no issues with the system as it currently stands, as I don't believe points or pubic recognition is necessary or valuable here, although many others do. If you make a good contribution to the boards, you know that you have, and the members following the thread probably do as well; so why do you need more recognition?

As I said though, it's not a bad idea.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

I believe that is expressly prohibited in the T&C is it not? Gangs, groups, recruiting and activism?

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Yeah i know.... but I'm sure it goes on.
I don't mean u2u'ing each other and recruiting, but perhaps just "helping" each other out..

I'm not sure.
I like the idea, I'm not saying i don't.... i just fear it could be corrupted.
that is my only reservation.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   
I can almost gaurantee that would be the problem the Amigos would have as well, aside from any technical issues which I alluded to.

There's no doubt something like that would take place, and it would be impossible to moderate effectively.

I think it's too big of a hurdle to overcome honestly.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   
dunno, probably, does it matter a whole lot if that does happen? people are always more inclined to star someone they like, overall it would pan out.

besides, i imagine the whole applause thing is pretty much run on the same basis, a moderator is always going to applaud the people they know and like more, if only because they are more likely to read posts by people they like.

i'm not a big fan of the whole applause and star culture anyway, seems a bit silly to me. i think it's a big part of the whole divisive issue on ATS at the moment.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Ok, well even if that did happen on a fluke, the end result would still only be the issuance of an applause, which as pointed out above, means little or nothing to many. So even if it did happen in that case, I can't see how it would really affect anything.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537
I have no issues with the system as it currently stands, as I don't believe points or pubic recognition is necessary or valuable here, although many others do. If you make a good contribution to the boards, you know that you have, and the members following the thread probably do as well; so why do you need more recognition?

I also totally agree with that.
I'm not a big fan of the points system at all.
People just make "charged" or "hoax" threads because they know they will get many responses, therefore many points.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 09:00 AM
link   

I suppose you're right... but some people are "point whores" and would just abuse the system.
many, perhaps most don't care about the points/recognition, but that would not stop the abuse of the system by those who do.

It's a toughie for sure.

Hmmmmm

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Agreed.

I'm not suggesting we do away with the point and applause system, because I do like it. I just don't understand how some members come to be so obsessed with it.

ATS isn't a popularity contest, or a race to see who can get the most points. ATS is a place for intelligent discussion, and the staff simply want to have a way to "reward" those they feel are making it a better place.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 09:08 AM
link   

ATS isn't a popularity contest, or a race to see who can get the most points. ATS is a place for intelligent discussion, and the staff simply want to have a way to "reward" those they feel are making it a better place.

Yeah, but as pointed out, they are concentrating much more on just moderating the board. That is such a huge task in itself. I feel as a result some members are not getting a fair shake. And Craig Ranke CIT is one such member in my opinion. Over 2100 posts and only 10 applauses with the quality of the material that he has contributed here?
THAT is not fair in my opinion.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Agreed.

I'm not suggesting we do away with the point and applause system, because I do like it. I just don't understand how some members come to be so obsessed with it.

Exactly.. i think the obsession somewhat detracts from what ATS is about...
Quality discussion on topics that are usually overlooked by MSM, and civil and heated debates.
A lot use the stars to judge threads/posts by and this is unfortunate IMO.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 09:12 AM
link   

I also agree with that.
I don't think that people get the applause they deserve.
They seem to not be dished out so frequently anymore...

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
Over 2100 posts and only 10 applauses with the quality of the material that he has contributed here?
THAT is not fair in my opinion.

Again though, I go back to my position that a "reward" is not a necessity here, more than that, it isn't even what ATS is about.

They could just as easily have no such system at all, just like everyone else. However, ATS prides itself on being different, being better. When they instituted a points system and applause system, I don't think they imagined it would turn into the obsession it has with some members.

Perhaps the member you mentioned doesn't need or even want applause or points, and is perfectly happy knowing they have made valuable contributions to ATS.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   

I believe this idea would have the effect of spreading out the applauses more evenly across the board. And who's obsessed with it? :shk: Why do people have to go there? It's just an idea. Relax already.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 09:18 AM
link   
Just my 2 cents:

If you see a good post that you think deserves an applause from the staff, why not send a U2U to one of the Mods in that forum? I have done it many times, and the Mods have followed up on my suggestion and awarded the poster the 500 points.

As it has been pointed out before in this thread, the Mods can't be everywhere. Many quality posts go almost unnoticed, so sometimes the staff must be made aware of them. Hence the U2U...

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by ziggystar60
If you see a good post that you think deserves an applause from the staff, why not send a U2U to one of the Mods in that forum?

Exactly!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join