It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Star Driven Auto Applause

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
edit

[edit on 1/26/2009 by Badge01]

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

I still don't see why it's needed.

As far as I can tell, you are the only one who is upset about this. Everyone else seems to think the current system works fine.

[edit on 26-1-2009 by nyk537]

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
I don't pay attention to the points. I am here because I like what the site as to offer as compared to other sites. However, I do understand that some people do care about the points and want to congratulate the op for putting forth an excellent idea.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
NOW YOU PEOPLE SEE WHY THIS IS NEEDED?

I rest my case.

No.

The points system was initiated long ago as a unique method that would allow members to accumulate "credit" based on their site contributions. The ultimate goal was to provide items in the ATS Store of value (provided by advertisers) that could be exchanged for points. In reality, we've only had a few items under such an exchange, and we've even recent discussed ideas on how to remove the points system.

Applause is, was, and always will be intended as a recognition vehicle that provides our staff the opportunity to show members we appreciate their contributions. It may seem uneven at times, but that's simply the product of many things, including preferences and real-life demands of our varied staff members.

Stars are, were, and always will be an arbitrary visual indication of member appreciate for individual posts. The reasons for starring a post are as numerous as our members, but most often, posts with more than ten stars really are exemplary contributions to the discussion.

There's no need to blur the lines as to what is applause and what are stars, much less add new value to points.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
However, I do understand that some people do care about the points and want to congratulate the op for putting forth an excellent idea.

Well I appreciate it, but around here, flags speak louder than words.

And this has nothing to do with points, my friend. I got plenty of those, and so do many others. A few are running around with over a million. Speaking of friends, I just lost one. I don't take too kindly to people, especially mods, not seeing the merits of an idea through their own emotional bias. Those people should not be mods.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup

I don't think that people get the applause they deserve.
They seem to not be dished out so frequently anymore...

I think you're wrong, sorry.

Applause does go out but it goes out to quality and not quantity.

If I was to start an average thread with average responses but enough people, over time starred me as the OP, I would not expect applause.

I never EXPECT applause, but when I get it I know I have done something that's made a difference and staff have noticed.

A better system would be to let members give eachother, say 5 or 10 points as a member to member way of saying "well done" accept these as my gift. Something more than a star.

Giving a star is easy...."click", but to give over points ourselves shows a little more thanks and commitment.

Points are regular.

Stars are recognition.

Applause is a pat on the back from those who run and look after this site, a way of letting us know we've made ATS a little better from the point of view of those who actively care.

I mean no disrespect to anyone, especially the OP, but ask yourself...if I want applause what must I contribute?

peace...nerb

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

Originally posted by nerbot
I think you're wrong, sorry.

wow...ok.
your opinion and you're entitled to it

Applause does go out but it goes out to quality and not quantity.

I am fully aware of the way it works thank you.

I never EXPECT applause, but when I get it I know I have done something that's made a difference and staff have noticed.

Me neither and i wasn't referring to myself either.....

Applause is a pat on the back from those who run and look after this site, a way of letting us know we've made ATS a little better from the point of view of those who actively care.
I mean no disrespect to anyone, especially the OP, but ask yourself...if I want applause what must I contribute?
peace...nerb

I don't.... so i don't need to think about it... but thanks for the concern

[edit on 26/1/09 by blupblup]

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord

... we've even recent discussed ideas on how to remove the points system.

What?

Seriously, please don't do that, I find it a very useful, but not exclusive, tool to gage member participation. As is often repeated ATS is a member driven site, we designate fsme, tinwiki contributors, flag threads, applaud, we have fighters, writers, scholars, all in the effort to identify the different natures and levels of any particular member's contributions. The point system and color bar are just two more useful variables to consider imho.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Like S-Dog, I highly suggest not disabling the point system. I was an admin on a site about half the size of ATS back in the late 90's, early 00's. We implemented a point system based on posts. Member participation subsequently went through the roof. Then after about a year, the husband and wife site owners disabled the feature and site participation slowed down greatly.

I bet anything the point system has a greater psychological effect on member participation than one would realize. It might seem silly, yes, but it happens.

Then think of all the members who have toiled away on Tinwiki or other projects, as an example. It's really the only 'payment' they receive. Not to mention what S-Dog pointed out and not to be a point snob either, but it does help gauge member participation to a point.

My two cents. I wouldn't mind the breaking news forum being adjusted as it seem there is a lot of 'point whoring' occurring there being that posts are worth 50 points each for the OP but that's just my personal opinion. But as a whole, it would be 'bad for business,' I believe, going by experience.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
Speaking of friends, I just lost one. I don't take too kindly to people, especially mods, not seeing the merits of an idea through their own emotional bias. Those people should not be mods.

Please don't lose friends over this thread. It's just not worth it. Yes, I love applause and they can make my day on here- but it's not worth a friend. I also think it's terribly unfair to say they are disagreeing with you due to an 'emotional bias' and they should 'not be mods.'

Just because they disagree with the idea doesn't mean it's emotional bias or that they are not staff-worthy. It just means they disagree.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Well, in closing it is clear this idea will never have staff support, so it is over. But what really surprised me is that it didn't have more member support. I though for sure it would, seeing as it would make things a bit more fair all the way around and take more load off the mods. It appears only one other member agreed. So I have failed. Miserably. REALLY BAD IDEA.

So
and move on.

[edit on Mon Jan 26th 2009 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

lol. don't worry dude ... i had a suggestion shot down recently and it was a lot dummer than this one!

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
No... stars are separate from points.

I fear that it could be a corruptible idea...
like gangs or friends just starring each other for the sake of it...

i dunno...

Yeah I agree, it would be an open invitation to corruption of the point system.

People would just start starring things just because they see a post from a friend, regardless of whether they agree or not.

Thats the same reason we dont have a thumbs down kind of system. People would gang up on others and just thumb down every thing said by a certain member.

Too much of a possibility for corruption.

That said, they most stars I have ever recieved for a single post was 42 (if I recall right)

I dont know if ive ever seen anyone get 50 or more stars.

So I think realistically the number of starts required would need to be lowered a bit anyway.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join