It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

reccesion or depression

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   
what is the differnce between reccesion and depression?
The T.V. news channels call it reccesion and I hear depression. what is the difference?

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 01:45 PM
link   
doesnt anyone know?

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by crazyjames65

A recession is when your neighbor is out of work. A depression is one you are out of work. (That was taken from Ronald Reagan.)

Actually, a depression is a deeper and longer version of a recession. A recession rarely lasts a year, while the Great Depression lasted about 14 years. We are definitely in a recession, but it is still hard to say if we are in a depression yet.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   
There really isnt any difference, its just a label difference, one doesnt sound as bad as the other, tho both point to the same conclusion...the economy is trashed.

Putting lipstick on the pig doesnt change the fact that it is still a pig.

Cheers!!!!

[edit on 22-1-2009 by RFBurns]

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by crazyjames65

This might help...

economics.about.com...

I feel that this is a recession not a depression however if things keep sliding into the red it may become a depression.

Kind of a depressing thread I think

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
And, every depression starts with a recession. So it's always exciting what happens next

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   
When you have people driving all the country and lining up hundreds of people for 10 jobs, you are in a depression.

When your extended large family is all living under one roof, and it is a common thing, you are in a depression.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I heard somewhere that back during the great depression they didn't even have the word recession. So according to terminology in the early 1900s, we are in a depression.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by amatrine

It must be a depression in the UK then

Fifty jobseekers chasing every vacancy in some parts of the country

According to Tory research, in 81 constituencies, there are more than ten jobseekers for every vacancy.

Hackney North & Stoke Newington in north London was the seat with the highest ratio of jobseekers to job vacancies. There were 3,161 people claiming Jobseekers Allowance in the constituency, and only 65 vacancies.

In Kingston upon Hull North there were 3,710 Jobseekers compared to 82 vacancies.

and

Three generations under one roof: The family that saves together

As the credit crunch bites, the extended family is making a comeback. Graham Norwood meets three generations enjoying life under one roof

top topics

join