It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama to Close Guantanamo and Foreign Prisons, Limit CIA Methods

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 08:01 AM
link   

www.foxnews.com

President Obama is expected to sign "several" executive orders on Thursday directing the Central Intelligence Agency to close its network of "black sites," or secret foreign prisons, and order the closing of the Guantanamo Bay detention camp within a year.

The executive orders, aimed at rolling back much of former President Bush's architecture for the war on terror, involve "altering CIA detention and interrogation rules, limiting interrogation standards in all U.S. facilities worldwide to thos
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Obama to order Guantanamo Bay prison closed
US accused of holding terror suspects on prison ships

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Before anyone says this was posted. This adds something different as it he is going to close down shop on the other secret prisons around the world that the CIA operate.

I am all for doing some clandestine work, but, some of these secret prisons are just going too far imo.

I hope next, we can start looking at Wall Street.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 08:04 AM
link   
:shk: What a mess he's making. I'm sure our enemies - both foreign and domestic - are in great joy this morning. Communism isn't dead and radical islamic terrorism is growing ... yet he hits the black sites.

I'm sure there are those in the 'the world is all rainbows and unicorns' crowd that will love this. Keep this information in mind next time America gets nailed by terrorists.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
I'm sure our enemies - both foreign and domestic - are in great joy this morning.

I would only change 'enemies' to 'friends' in that phrase.

I believe the people who are upset by this are the Islamic extremists and terrorist groups who have undoubtedly lost another recruiting incentive. They no longer will be able to say "see? America tortures and doesn't respect Habeas corpus".

I'm sure there are those in the 'the world is all rainbows and unicorns' crowd that will love this.

That world is also called the "the world where American and International law is upheld".

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   
This is all here say so until I see some bills actually been signed by him after been approved by the moron congress we have then I will believe it.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Oh it's all feel good stuff now but wait till some islamic fruitcake bombs something over here, then Obama is gonna have mud all over his face and be forced to come down harder than anything Bush could have dreamed for. He is setting himself up for disaster if you believe this stuff. If an attack occurs under his slack security his whole presidency will be screwed so I am willing to bet Obama's torture rooms will be ten levels of secrecy deeper than anything GW Bush implemented.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Great news!

And if some muslim does something, he will have a fair trial just like any human being, instead of what the guy above wants.

[edit on 22-1-2009 by mortje]

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Torcher is inligal hey, funny. Four years ago No one gave a sh!t if we were torchering anyone because the treat of a bombing was real. but now that everyone feels nice and safe we don't need information anymore. Torcher has been part of war sence day one. Now that we have cell phones and cars its wrong. Yes, it is a dirty part of war and life but we need to do what we need to do. you think we can sit with one of these guys and reward them with candy for info. going home wont even work. We can let them sit in one of our prisons but whats 10 years of a health club compaired to life in the mountains or deserts? WE have always torchered in the name of safety but we all get in an uprore now adays. Its rediculise. its people who think we're overthere playin cowboys and indeans. Not think of what the real world is. The real world gose a lot further then our little socail bubble we call seciedy.

[edit on 22-1-2009 by eightpoundworld]

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by SectionEight
Oh it's all feel good stuff now but wait till some islamic fruitcake bombs something over here, then Obama is gonna have mud all over his face and be forced to come down harder than anything Bush could have dreamed for.

Ideals are to be upheld always, not only when it's convenient.

If an attack occurs under his slack security his whole presidency will be screwed so I am willing to bet Obama's torture rooms will be ten levels of secrecy deeper than anything GW Bush implemented.

What does security have to do with secret prisons and torture?

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by jhill76

www.foxnews.com

President Obama is expected to sign "several" executive orders on Thursday directing the Central Intelligence Agency to close its network of "black sites," or secret foreign prisons, and order the closing of the Guantanamo Bay detention camp within a year.

The executive orders, aimed at rolling back much of former President Bush's architecture for the war on terror, involve "altering CIA detention and interrogation rules, limiting interrogation standards in all U.S. facilities worldwide to thos

So what are we going to use? Feathers and velvet handcuffs? Come on, BHO. I hoped that your Joint Chiefs debriefing would jolt you back into reality. I realize that this, along with the order to remove executive privilege in presidential affairs, is simply for the appeasement of "transparency" buffs, but how long until you are finished with this flurry of feel-good executive orders and are prepared to hike our taxes?

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by jhill76

great News

nice to see the New president taking the first steps on upholding what the US was suppose to be founded on.

and not that he has also Taken ammo from extremists

[edit on 22-1-2009 by bodrul]

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   
So far so good, but I'm not too optimistic yet. Let's judge in one year, rather than after one or two days only. At least he gives me some hope that I can once admire the US again like I did when I was young.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by silentthought38

Why does shutting down these criminal institutions mean we will be using feathers and silk handcuffs (or whatever you said)? Our security doesn't go down any because we shut down the criminal actions of the egotistical CIA.

What this means is that the HUMAN BEINGS that have been held against their will with ZERO PROOF or evidence brought forth will now have a FAIR trial. So they won't simply DISAPPEAR like they have been doing. They won't be tortured (being that we seemed to have signed something a few decades back saying that it is unfair and inhumane, can't put my finger on where but I know we did sign something.... DUH).

It's the people that think that we need to torture and hold untried people against their will in order for us to be safe that are completely wrong here.

Is it justified to you for us to torture and possibly kill dozens of people just so long as we happen to actually catch 1 criminal? You see, there's a very fine line here and we cannot afford to cross it.

I'm pleasantly surprised and (as Marg put it) will wait and see if it actually comes to pass.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by silentthought38
but how long until you are finished with this flurry of feel-good executive orders and are prepared to hike our taxes?

Yeah! C'mon! It's been nearly 2 days! Let's get with it!

Seriously, though. It feels wonderful to know that America is moving back toward the standards that have made this country respectable and honorable.

G'obama!

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 10:16 AM
link   
This is great for public relations!

Obama, hes such a good guy he is closing Guantanamo Bay, because of its horrible reputation and shipping all the prisoners to different prisons with no reputation.

That makes everything so much better, GOOOOOO OBAMA.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Not that I am at all against shutting down prisons in other countries that DON'T follow our laws making the torture possible. But as history has shown messing with the CIA and their way of doing things isn't such a good idea.

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Ok, now that Gitmo is going to be closed, where are all these prisoners going to go? What will be done with them? Their own countries don't want them in most cases. American prisons? That would be something - the Islamics think things are rough in gitmo, wait till they see the insides of some American max prisons-

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 11:56 AM
link   
the USA has around the world

gitmo

a torture camp , a concentration camp where internment was the norm.

if , as a country you want to lead the world in rights and allways take the moral high road - openly practising torture isn`t the way to do, ask the WW2 veterans who protested bush , its a trade skill to interrogate someone , strapping them to a waterboard amoungst other heinous crimes will only get the person tortured to tell you anyting to get it to stop.

small steps taken by President Obama and one day we can look back and see just how far things have truely come

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Excellent thread, S@F for Op.

It is a bright possible future if he is able to maintain this momentum as he only has 4 years to undue the past 8. However, I suppose the first steps will be those that he can by executive order make, the uphill battle against congress has yet to come.

Perhaps the reason he refused to place his hand over his heart during the national anthem that fateful day was because he did not resonate with the current 'owners' administration policies of the country...

I feel a positve energy coming from Capitol Hill for the first time in 8 years!

posted on Jan, 22 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I'm against torture it can't possibly give any reliable intelligence anyway but it would be a huge mistake to just let these people free if they weren't terrorists before you can bet they are now.

Stop torture definitely but closing the place down that might come back to haunt him.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join