It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are guns cowardly???

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2004 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I have a friend who has an obsession with close combat and it just makes me wonder if guns really are cowardly...
Ok does anyone know what U.S. Army or Marine Corps sniper training is like. That might awnser the question at hand.

posted on Apr, 10 2004 @ 03:25 PM
link   
They're not cowardly, just different. It takes a lot of training to be able to shoot where you want, and when you add in a sheet of lead coming at you from the other side, anyone who can still keep their cool and shoot well is no coward.

However, close combat also takes extensive training and conditioning of the body.

posted on Apr, 10 2004 @ 03:28 PM
link   
They're not exactly cowardly, they get the job done fast. Personally, i'd rather have it where we use knives and swords and all those types of weapons that came before guns.

posted on Apr, 10 2004 @ 03:28 PM
link   
In the hands of a thief, rapist, mugger, murderer, carjacker, etc...Yes they are cowardly. What makes them cowardly are the people that are holding them. I love my guns and would never give them up as I don't use them like the coward criminals.

posted on Apr, 10 2004 @ 03:32 PM
link   
It depends on the situation.

If there's a problem between to people, there is nothing more embarrassing than seeing someone pull a gun out on the other person. What a coward!!! Be a man, settle it with fists.

In these types of situations you are indeed a coward!

posted on Apr, 10 2004 @ 03:48 PM
link   
This is Chit-chat. BTS

posted on Apr, 10 2004 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Guns are cowardly when used to destroy whole nations as the many wars throughout recorded history. There 'is' no point to the misuse of destructive weapons upon human life, and should only be used in self defence or dire situations.

posted on Apr, 10 2004 @ 04:46 PM
link   
I like swords, just seems like styles of sword fighting is an art that is like no other....

posted on Apr, 10 2004 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Like stated above, guns are cowardly only in certain cituations, personally guns if used properly could mean all the difference between ending one's life and saving it.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Apr, 10 2004 @ 07:11 PM
link   
The gun has served villian and hero alike like stated before its who use this weapon that is more important than the weapon its self. If a person use a sword to kill a small unarmed child are they not a coward? Also the bow or crossbow might have been considered a cowardly weapon back in the day but they got the job done.

posted on Apr, 10 2004 @ 08:13 PM
link   

In the hands of a thief, rapist, mugger, murderer, carjacker, etc...Yes they are cowardly. What makes them cowardly are the people that are holding them. I love my guns and would never give them up as I don't use them like the coward criminals.

That pretty much sums it up. Guns themselves are not cowardly, they can be used by cowards for cowardly things, but guns are actually quite beautiful.

If you've ever seen a Ruger Vaquero you know what I'm talking about.

Swords are fine and I love my swords, but I'd never bring one to a gun fight.

As Bobby Hill said on King of the Hill. Just think of a gun as a part of your body that shoots bullets.

SPiderj

posted on Apr, 10 2004 @ 08:16 PM
link   
as said above, guns are cowardly according to the situation.

but, alls fair in love and war

posted on Apr, 11 2004 @ 02:36 AM
link   
Theres nothing cowardly about holding a gun up to someone who aslo has a gun and has just as equal a chance of shooting you first...

But holding a gun up to someone who is unarmed is cowardly...

Like any weapon, if they can defend themselve sufficiently it wouldnt be cowardly to threaten them with the weapon... its only cowardly if they are unable to defend

posted on Apr, 11 2004 @ 07:42 AM
link   
Just some food for thought....The ancient Japaneses held hon or above all else, and felt that guns were cowardly, because in wartime you wouldn't know who you had killed.

I personally believe that guns in wartime are no better or worse then swords etc. People are still killed and mutilated by them just the same as a sword or spear would do.

However, I do agree with most of the people here in saying that it is cowardly to threaten somone with a gun if they are unarmed or have a weaker weapon.

posted on Apr, 11 2004 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by TekNo88
They're not exactly cowardly, they get the job done fast. Personally, i'd rather have it where we use knives and swords and all those types of weapons that came before guns.

I'd rather we just smack each other with big butterball turkeys, but that's just me.

posted on Apr, 11 2004 @ 12:24 PM
link   
During the middle ages, cross-bows were considered to be cowardly. Since it takes very little time to train and kill a knight, who has been training his entire life.

Personally, I am not fond of guns or any kinds of weapons.

If you ask Japanese samurais, they would say guns are cowardly. If you ask English colonists, they say guns are a neccesity of life.

So the question to your answer depends on who you are asking.

posted on Apr, 11 2004 @ 12:40 PM
link   
The old west.
The Japanese revere the the American old west with honor and dignity. The same honor and dignity American nerds view Japanese swords and samurai stuff.

Also...Guns are Cowardly to anyone with a 80-99 diamond edge Dai-Katana.

posted on Apr, 11 2004 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Are there any rules in fighting? I guess its where your from, or what culture you respect. Gun fight have been apart of America for as almost as long as there has been an America. The wild west had draws all the time.

"If you ask Japanese samurais, they would say guns are cowardly. If you ask English colonists, they say guns are a neccesity of life" (surfup)

I think that it is not. Its all about survivel at this point.

[Edited on 11-4-2004 by SpittinCobra]

posted on Apr, 11 2004 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Its just like the gangsters here in Hong Kong using guns or any weapons its all to do with being a man personally i would like there to be no such thibng as a "weapon" in the world if we are gonna argue fists would suit me fine!

posted on Apr, 11 2004 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by drunk
personally i would like there to be no such thibng as a "weapon" in the world if we are gonna argue fists would suit me fine!

People use guns because with guns they can win with people who are too strong with fist fights. So as long as there is fighting, more advanced weapons, which attack the enemy first will evolve.

I see guns as an evovlement, not as cowardly. Although, I hate it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join