It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USDA: No Environmental Impact Study Needed to Deregulate Genetically Modified Corn

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   

USDA: No Environmental Impact Study Needed to Deregulate Genetically Modified Corn

Twilight Earth

The USDA may deregulate the world’s first genetically engineered industrial crop without a full Environmental Impact Study, relying instead on an incomplete Environmental Assessment from the creator, Syngenta.

Opponents say releasing ‘Event 3272′ into the environment poses unacceptable risks to humans due to an exotic enzyme that could trigger allergic reactions.

Syngenta’s ‘Event 3272′ contains a form of alpha amylase, an enzyme derived from microorganisms that live near deep sea hydrothermal vents. The enzyme is produced at extremely high levels in the corn kernels and has no history of safe use for humans.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 1/15/2009 by Keyhole]

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   
What is wrong with the USDA?

They are just going to take the word of the company that created this genetically modified corn that it's safe, even though the companies testing was incomplete?

I'm assuming this corn was "created" to be made into ethanol. The problem is, is that we have ALREADY surpassed goals that were set for corn ethanol production in 2012.

This corn is unsafe to eat, as it has an enzyme that can trigger an allergic reaction when eaten.

So, just WHY does the USDA feel this corn, ‘Event 3272′, should be allowed?

The USDA has even stated that some of this corn WOULD end up in our food supply and it could "negatively impact food quality" along with causing allergic reactions.

Sounds to me like there IS no really good reason that this corn, Event 3272, needs to be grown at all!

Unless you "created" this corn and need to make some money.

twilightearth

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 1/15/2009 by Keyhole]

(fixed link code)

[edit on Wed Jan 21 2009 by Jbird]

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   
Wow, I would have never guessed something like this was going on. And practically every food today has some kind of corn product in it. I'm interested to hear what people have to say about this, for now I am watching what I eat.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   
And US citizen just started feeling the changes with the medicin feeded cows now, and that started 20-25 years ago. What do you think the consequences gonna be of this one..

Best regards.

Loke.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   
This ties in very closely with my thread here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

I received an email and posted most of it in my thread. There is a link there where you can post your views to be sent to TPTB.

This fully disgusts me.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Here's another article about this type of genetically modified corn.

USDA Seeks Public Comment on Deregulating Corn Genetically Modified to Facilitate Ethanol Production

Microbially produced alpha-amylases are commonly used commercially in the starch-processing step during corn dry-grind and wet milling processing for ethanol production. Syngenta’s concept for its engineered corn, designated as transformation Event 3272, is that the grain will serve as the source of amylase enzyme in the dry-grind ethanol process, replacing the addition of microbially produced enzyme.

The Event 3272 grain expressing the alpha-amylase enzyme will be mixed with conventional corn at the processing plant. The modified seeds don’t increase the yield, they just make the grain easier to process. In describing the work in 2002, Syngenta estimated that the high-amylase seeds could cut production costs by 10%.

Of course we all new it was about money, but to start growing this modified corn and risking it cross pollinating with corn that is grown for consumption is just nuts, especially for a savings 10% in the production of ethanol!

GM Contamination At 21 km and Farther No Co-Existence Possible

Researchers find GM pollen cross-pollinated non-GM plants at 21 km and predict much worse. Dr. Mae-Wan Ho
******SKIP******
During extensive greenhouse and laboratory testing, glyphosate-tolerant progeny of non-GM test plants were found up to 21 km from the GM fields.

This was consistent with the model of wind direction and speed, which showed movement of pollen up to 15 km from the GM fields by the first hour; and maximum travel distances increased to 40 and 50 km after two and three hours respectively.

Of course, I guess they could always fix the corn seed supply through genetic modification again, but why bother taking the risk, that this corn, Event 3272, might end up being eaten by consumers with the possibility of it causing allergic reactions to a large number of people.

posted on Jan, 21 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Here's another little ti bit of information that's a little unsettling!

One more reason this GE corn, at the very least, needs more testing before it is planted all over the place!

No Need for Condoms – GE Corn Can Do the Job

New research from Austria shows that a commercial strain of Monsanto-made GE corn causes mice to have fewer and weaker babies. What is this doing to human fertility?

Regulators around the world said Monsanto’s GE corn was as safe as non-GE strains.

It has been approved in many countries and regions including the US, the EU, Argentina, Japan, Philippines and South Africa.
******SKIP******
The GE corn research

Austrian scientists fed mice over a course of 20 weeks a mixture of 33 percent Monsanto GE corn (NK 603 x MON 810) and non-GE corn.

These mice gave birth to less babies and lighter babies in their third and fourth litters. Mice fed on non-GE corn had babies as normal.

These differences are statistically significant.
******SKIP******
Monsanto’s GE corn hurts mouse reproduction. So what is it doing to human reproduction?

Considering the severity of the potential threat, Greenpeace is demanding a recall of genetically-engineered food and crops from the global market.

Is somebody trying to regulate the future human population, or just something that these companies that make this GE corn missed in their research?

Kind of hard to believe that they didn't feed this GE modified corn to animals over a period of time and missed something like that!

Imagine what this will do to the wildlife populations too, that feed on the corn.

[edit on 1/21/2009 by Keyhole]

new topics

top topics

join