It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nasa to Announce life on Mars today!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 08:13 PM
link   
This is from the Sun newspaper in England,which is a tabloid and not a real paper!]
but this is interesting,
check the link to view!

www.thesun.co.uk...

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by mongoking

Experts speculate that the methane is being emitted as a waste product by organisms called methanogens living in water beneath underground ice.

Finding Methane is an awesome step but it's a far cry from declaring they found life.
I think the title of this thread and that article are a bit on the sensationalized side.

[edit on 14-1-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Even if the life found is microbial, it is still life on another planet outside of our own. Life is life, it doesnt have to be intelligent, or large, or have 2 arms and 2 legs to be classified as life.

All the current signs from the exsisting data suggest that microbial life very well may exsist. It just needs to be confirmed. Something tells me however, that they already have that confirmation and are just playing the "stale, pale slow as a snail" game.

Cheers!!!!

[edit on 14-1-2009 by RFBurns]

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   

As far as Methane on Mars if I'm not mistaken methane has been detected in the atmosphere of Mars before. The 1976 Viking mission detected the release of methane from what was thought were Macrobes from the cake mix set out to be eaten. Some scientists thought originally the Viking mission had a false reading or even a flawed experiment not giving true readings.

I believe it is just a matter of time before scientists release what they think are microbes or macrobes existing on the surface or beneath the soil of Mars.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Well there is now a breaking news thread so this must be on the up and up I hope this is it!
About time.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Already posted, come join!!!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 24 2009 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Oh I'm so hopeful that Nasa finds a few microbes hiding just beneath the soil.
Mars man 2004 Opportunity rover Spring panorama.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Lets say life on Mars is roughly as old as life on Earth. Wouldn't fossils look like this?
Where is the logic to going thee and witholding the info from the public who funds the missions? Life was found on Mars 1976. Live animals were found 1976. Fossils on Mars were found 1976. I designed Mars rovers 11 years later 1987 because I could never accept that we are alone in the solar system.I just couldn't accept it.I couldn't just lay down and TAKE getting the shiv,and denied the truth.I wasn't going to die not knowing that life is really everywhere,and life on Earth doesn't exist in a vaccuum.So,now METHANE is finally opening up the news,3 decades later. Are the rest of you asleep?

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Where there is methane there is somebody eating brussels sprouts. Somebody eating brussels sprouts is clearly a sign of life.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by JlehaneIII
Lets say life on Mars is roughly as old as life on Earth. Wouldn't fossils look like this?
Probably not.

Not only those rocks do not look like fossils, those areas do not look like areas where fossils could be found.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   
reply to post by moniker

Mmm... I see where the logic is here. What ye'r sayin' is that
where there's Brussel sprouts, there could be other veggies,
possibly Swedes (which would tie-in with the Nordic sightings.

I'm outa my goard with excitement, I hope NASA don't squash it!

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
awesome!! Lets bump this old thread so it looks like a new announcement eh?! LOl you guys are FUNNY

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 12:12 AM
link   
I don't really love circling fossils that few others can see,understand or deal with.I'd rather get close-ups of eyes stalking the Mars Spirit rover.This is a MIRROR IMAGE so it was one eye/face that I mirror imaged,yet the smaller face at top looks less spooky.These animals came to the slow moving rover.the rear Hazard cam is about 2 feet off the ground,and the mirror overhang is curved(one of the ways to get around masking is to throw them a curve). You have to go around the clowns with an out of the box concept like "bending the image".Who cares if I'm unkind to the morons if I get results?

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 02:42 AM
link   
reply to post by JlehaneIII

The problem is that the results you get are not really results, they are only results to your own eyes and to a small percentage of the people that see them.

If that is a problem of the ones that do not see it or a problem of the ones that see it is what you should find out, instead of repeating these images.

And considering that those that see the "faces" on the Mars images see "faces" in images taken on Earth, I think, at least for now, that the problem lies in the ones that see the "faces".

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 03:01 AM
link   

The Sun is a tabloid and tends to over sensationalize every bit of news that they report, but we are not talking about another National Enquirer here or even a Sunday Sport. I think that this is a real story even if the headline does seem to suggest that life is the only possible explanation, even though farther down the page we can see that they haven't ruled out the possibility of some kind of geological reason.

The fact that NASA are even entertaining the possibility of life on Mars is a huge step forward. Even in the 90s when they announced the discovery of microbial fossils in an ancient asteroid the implication were that there may have been microbial life in Mar's ancient past.

It is true that they have a safety line with this new announcement with the geological explanation, but for NASA to announce that present extraterrestrial life is a likely explanation is huge.

I wonder whether we are seeing a sea change with the new administration, perhaps these are the first tentative steps toward full disclosure.

posted on Jan, 26 2009 @ 07:37 AM
link   
For those that did not noticed it, this thread was resurrected by JlehaneIII.

NASA has made its press conference and all of this can be followed in another thread (this thread), as atsbeliever pointed on his post.

new topics

top topics

join