It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

court: Sex between teachers, 18-year-olds OK

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by yenko13

Don't you think you're blowing this out of proportion? This is silly. It's two consenting adults, meaning that no one is being forced here. The teacher isn't demanding anyone have sex with them in the situation given.

All the girls coming back pregnant? I'm sorry, but if my daughter is 18 and makes the decision to have sex with ANYONE, that's fine with me. It's not my body. It's hers, and by the time she's 18 she should be fully capable of making the decision on her own. She doesn't need mommy overriding every move she makes any more.

I think you're taking the act of consensual sex and throwing it way overboard. It doesn't promote favoritism, parents teach their children all the time. I was home schooled for two years and I know kids that were home schooled their whole lives. I also know a lot of companies where spouses are working in the same office. So you've really got no argument there.

It's insane that a court should even have to make a decision about two consenting ADULTS(the key word here is adults). I'm so glad that a court finally made a decision I can agree with.

sty

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by TasteTheMagick

WELL, this is the problem i just mentioned - while it seems like freedom, i can say that a teacher can abuse his position in order to gain sex.Teacher is on a superior position that disadvantage free choice for the student. It is not real choice as the teacher can get "nasty" if refused to have sex. Do you get it? I know real cases from Eastern Europe , where teacher conditioned girls passing the year to having a "session" with him! Is this training for the future generations? Going over the fact that you hardly learn anything out there (on the undergraduate level schools) , this would push things even worse..

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by sty

WELL, if this is what the teacher is doing, that is a separate crime in and of itself. I believe it's already been mentioned here as being blackmail or bribery and (in some stricter opinions) borderline rape. In this case, there are separate laws for those situations that apply to EVERYONE and not just teachers/students.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   
A lot of people in this thread seem to be assuming that the student in question actually has a class with said teacher. There are lots of teachers in high schools and only a hand full of them students will have a class with.

and for those of you whining about the ethics of the situation, perhaps you should read the article.

The state's code of professional conduct for teachers still prohibits any sexual advance toward or contact with pupils, whatever their age, and teachers can be fired for it. Sexual contact with students younger than 16 is considered child rape or molestation; the age of consent in Washington is 16.

Teacher having sex with students 18 LEGAL
Teacher having sex with students who attend their classes and therefore are in a position of power over them UNETHICAL

end of story.

[edit on 1/14/2009 by eNumbra]

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by AGENT_T

Stuff ethics when you have a maths teacher who is really cute and wears those pink,fluffy cardigans that Olivia Newton John wore in Grease.

(16 is legit in UK too)

Hehe.

Ethics are relative, I had a gorgeous health teacher my 3rd year of High school.

It's still unethical on the teacher's part.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by eNumbra

Unethical maybe, but I guess that depends on who's ethics we're talking about: This thread asks the question of just what makes up "ethics" or, more specifically, "morality" and how it changes per person.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   

To the question of sexual favors for good grades and or the possible favoritism of a teacher having sex with a student in his/her class; that is unethical by a majority of standards.

Those outlined in your thread are far more subjective.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Sexual favors in return for good grades isn't a question of ethics, it's blackmail/bribery. The ethics question comes from the teacher/student sexual relationship at all. Obviously, I've got no problem with it. Some say it's unethical.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   
No matter how you twist and turn it , this is bad policy , Why cant they see it for what it is and change it to no teacher student sex period,

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by TasteTheMagick
Sexual favors in return for good grades isn't a question of ethics, it's blackmail/bribery.

And it's ethics that decide that blackmail and bribery are unacceptable. Some people believe it's alright to do what they want to get what they want... those are still ethics.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   

It's not about the rights of consenting adults. There is a strict relationship between student and teacher that simply cannot be breached, or else the integrity of the institution that is education will have been destroyed as well.

I'd agree...however this is the arena of the school to establish policy...not for the state to infringe on the constitutional rights of adult citizens. The penalties for this breach should remain professional penalties, not criminal ones. It's not that different from employers that make rules against fraternization....but the state has NO place in enacting legislation governing it...

As far as public schools go, this should be a ruling by the school board, outlining specific penalties for specific offenses...but not lawmakers.

[edit on 14-1-2009 by Gazrok]

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I have to agree with the court, if the student is an adult then it shouldn't be a legal issue.
Now, I think schools should have the right to ban such relationships and fire teachers for having them, but I simply don't see how it can be a crime for two consenting adults to have a consensual relationship.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Sexual favors in return for good grades isn't a question of ethics, it's blackmail/bribery. The ethics question comes from the teacher/student sexual relationship at all. Obviously, I've got no problem with it. Some say it's unethical.

It's just as unethical (from an academic standpoint) as plagiarism, and should carry the same professional penalties, (and then some for the teacher) if such favors are found to have been granted. In other words, the student would be forced to furnish the work done for the course, and then that work would be reviewed by teachers to see if the grade was within reason for the work done. Then, work of other students in the same class would need to be examined, along with the grades, to determine if such favoritism existed.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by eNumbra

But my point was that the ethics part wasn't simply in the fact that the student and the teacher were having sex. I've got to agree with Gazrok on this one.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Revolution-2012

If I was that girl I'd just file a lawsuit agains the dirty bastard. That's more rewarding than anything ya?

As far as pax is saying that it's her tax dollars at work for her children to be hooking up, well one if they're 18 they're not legally yours so boot them out the door if you got a problem with how they're conducting themselves, and two your tax dollars go to soldiers in Iraq RAPEING innocent women and children because they are so derranged. Not only do your tax dollars support that, your tax dollars also support the people getting paid to foreclose your house.

Your tax dollars mean nothing. Except that the government of America, UK etc has their finger on you.

Perhaps I did not make myself clear. In the case where a minor has lied about her age and she is 17 and a senior. statutory rape buddy. And give me the benefit of sex with students. Can you? It is completely unethical.

If I'm paying a teacher to instruct my daughter, he better not being trying to screw her. Esp. If she is still in high school.

Now for your last comment please provide proof? "soldiers in Iraq RAPEING innocent women and children because they are so derranged."

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 06:13 AM
link   
reply to post by paxnatus

You seem to think that the court's rational decision to keep their noses out of consensual sex is going to make every teacher some crazed predator. Why do you seem to think that? It doesn't make any sense logically because the student would have to be 18 meaning that they are capable of making their own decisions.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by eNumbra

Originally posted by TasteTheMagick
Sexual favors in return for good grades isn't a question of ethics, it's blackmail/bribery.

And it's ethics that decide that blackmail and bribery are unacceptable. Some people believe it's alright to do what they want to get what they want... those are still ethics.

This law breeds this behavior , Bribery is unacceptable in any culture and this is a way to make who happy the 18 year old or the teacher, I cant figure it out yet

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by yenko13

Breeds what behavior? Bribery? Bribery has it's own ramifications. All this law does is keep authorities out of a situation they don't belong in, in the first place. It's not to make one group or the other "happy". It simply shows that someone had a brain large enough to realize that an act between two adults is not something that the law needs to stick it's nose in.

posted on Jan, 15 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Bribery is unacceptable in any culture and this is a way to make who happy the 18 year old or the teacher

I'd imagine both are happy...the teacher getting the sex and the 18 year old getting an undeserved, but passing grade.

However, all the law does is realize it's role in this, which is no role at all. Sex for grades is an issue of academic ethics violation, not a legal matter. For bribery to exist, one of the parties would have to do something illegal (which may or may not be the case, depending on the treatment of academic fraud, but generally not). Nothing is illegal here, between consenting adults. Academic ethics are being violated in such an arrangement, and that violation has it's own academic penalties, for both parties.

The loss of the teacher's livelihood, and the loss of a student's degree... certainly carries their own risks...but it isn't a legal matter, and the state realized it.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join