It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you collect and why?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

As I looked again, the grown pattern of the little really blue parts on the top (look like bumps) is atypical for turquoise. It could be an inclusion of something else.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I also collect lucky rocks, but only while traveling, at work I collect FOD for future use, and other than that I tend to collect anything technical. E.g. giant (miniature) robots, helicopters, electronic parts for tinkering...

EDIT: Oh, and I forgot to add that I also collect free music. (creative commons)

[edit on 2009110 by Carlthulhu]

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   
Guitars, and guitar memorbial. Love to come home from work, and depending on the mood I'm in, I grab one of those suckers and just play. It relaxes me. Got about six now, (plus one dulcimer) and always looking to add to the collection.
Rock on.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   
I collect old car models,small ones and the big ones.hmm just cause i love cars.

I've always loved cars,specially those old ones from 50'-70'
my fav car year gotta be 60',and i search for a impala 67'

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Springheel Jack

As you can see, alot of people collect rocks! Thats cool! I do have rocks that I have picked up and brought home just because I thought they were pretty or unique!

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Greenize

Yes its really surprising! I like rocks and I havent any idea why. Thanks Greenize for the interesting thread.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I collect Trees. All different types from all over the world, i have pretty big greenhouse in my backyard for the kind that won't grow properly in my Canadian climate.

I've always loved trees, they're beautiful, ever lasting. Trees witness everything, but sit and watch silently.

I've had a deep connection with trees since i was a child.

Sounds weird i know.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Avid collector of vintage and rare models such as the Visible V8 engine and its companion the Visible Automobile Chassis. Die-cast 1/18 scale cars and race cars, tons of Star Trek stuff, about 700 LP's and 800 45's, two Realistic Lab 400 turntables and 4 Realistic mixers, analog tape machines such as 8-track units, open reel to reel units, cassette decks, vintage stereo recievers that weigh a ton, old 50's and 60's television flyback transformers (make excellent mini Tesla coils) PC video games galore and rare hard to find 12" laserdisc movies and players.

Bunch more but too much to list here.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Interesting thread.

I collect vases/decorative pots and usually bug a friend who may be going overseas to pick me up a few in whatever country they are visiting.
I have a big collection from all around the world.

The most interesting one I have is just a cheap one a friend found in a bizarre in Tehran.
It's incredibly ornate. So much effort went into it to create it and was quite inexpensive. Who ever made it had a fine love of art and craftmanship.

I collect them because I also love cut flowers. And having a beautiful vase only adds to the visual feast. For the life of a bunch of cut flowers, I usually transfer them each day into a different vase for variety.

I also collect lions. Stuffed and statue.
I've collected them since I was kid. I guess because for a long time, Lions have been my power animal.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I collect books on science, philosophy, history, and religion, fossils and rocks, and the glass balls that used to float nets for ocean fishermen in Japan.

Why the books? I only have so much space on my hard drive, (my brain) and so I feel the need to keep references so that if a bit of information I used to know has been deleted I can retrieve it from the hard copy.

Why the rocks and fossils? Well, they tie into my love of history and science, but I am not sure why specifically them and not other historical scientific things. They dont break easily, and I am not graceful sometimes, they are easily found on walks, and I like the way they feel when I look at them and touch them, and some of them are just beautiful. I like naturally very round stones, even if they arent otherwise special, just because they are odd.

Why the glass floats? Again, I am not sure. They are rare, (I only collect ones I find, I dont buy them) and I guess I feel when I find them that they are a gift from the sea to me. And, they are lovely.

Re-reading this, I also seem to have an affection for round things. Not sure why, perhaps the perfection of a sphere satisfies me in some way I cant quantify.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   
i collect guns.
not only are they a very useful tool but also a good investment
my 2 cents

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I collect My Little Pony toys (and I draw makeup on them with a marker). I assume there's some sort of psychological connection to them from childhood... but they're also just cute.

I don't think it's a deep meaning though... not for me anyway. I'm sure there are people who feel connections to things and, so, they collect them, maybe a spiritual connection. For me, I don't think that's the case... wa wa.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I collect small glass bottles. If they are colored or unusually shaped, all the better. I like to fill them with different herbal tinctures, sometimes just colored liquid, because I like the way that this looks. The best one I have is a brass and glass hour-glass shaped bottle. I put a dead Luna moth in it. I have another one that is shaped like a light bulb, and the top screws off. Into this I put a cardinal feather.

Beyond the practical element I don't know why I do this, other than that I may have been an alchemist or apothacary in a past life

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Experiences,

The one common to us all,

Its called Memory.

You have no choice, and the why is one of the biggest questions in life.
Why do I choose to collect that memory, but forget that one?

Just my 2c

Elf.

[edit on 10-1-2009 by MischeviousElf]

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Oh yes, I collect very strange stuffed animals. (lots of whales, scorpion, coyote, bat, lobster, seals, walruses, rattlesnake, etc)

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Photos, Guns, Guitars, Knowledge

You just had to ask didn't you...
It seems I collect way too much!

Dogs

Coins and Medals

Rocks and Petrified Alien Heads... I mean Minerals

Why, you ask?

I'm nuts, that's why!

I bet I've got 10,000 rocks and minerals!

Maybe I should collect something that's a bit easier to store...like Air!

Yea, thats it.

I'll start lookin' tomorrow

Peace

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Oh I collect a few things:

Coffee Mugs - This is a hobby dad and I both share, we both have a HUGE addiction to collecting them.

Records - I've just started collecting records. When grandpa passed away he left me his turn table....and Polish Polka Music. But among that box of stuff he left, I found "Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band" by far the best gem in there. I have a few other really good ones: Cher (Halfbreed), Tina Turner (Private Dancer) and some other great ones on Vinyl. So now, whenever I see them, I buy them.

Books - I'm a fan of books. When I moved on campus at University I moved with 6 boxes of stuff... 3 of them were books. I have tones of hardcover books that I just bought because I liked the bindings on them, or the color.

Notebooks - I have an addiction to notebooks. I've got a TON of them. I have boxes and boxes of the classic composition books (the black and white ones), and tones of notebooks I've been collecting since I was 12. Most of them I don't write in (except the comp. books), I just collect.

Pens - I like Pens. I collect lots of different types of pens, but I only write with one kind. Whenever I see them I buy a couple boxes and just stash them away because they're my favorite.

- Carrot

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by CA_Orot

Coffee mugs, well, i did not count that one since I actually sse them, but I like to collect those stonewear kind, with the flowers or whatnot on them.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   
In HS I'd collect clothes tags. I had about 3 shoe boxes full of them. But then I just up and threw em all away one day. Don't really know why, I just felt like it I guess. *shrugs*

edit to add as to why I'd collect em. I started collecting them as a testament to my immaculate as well as expensive wardrobe. I'd take pride in showing off the latest new outfits and shoes. To this day I still dress nice..but I don't show off as much as I used to back then.

[edit on 10-1-2009 by The Scarecrow]

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 11:24 PM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

Some of them I use, and some of them I don't. I have a couple that I bought downtown that I have still in the box, just waiting to go in the china cabinet.

I really like that we have a mix-matched set of mugs at Dad's, its kinda cool opening up the cupboard to find 15 different mugs with nothing in common.

Here at the University I have a bunch of different Black and Red Mugs, that I really like and use often.

- Carrot

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join