It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What do you collect and why?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I myself am a rock hound. Besides arrowheads, which I love the history aspect of, I also collect what are called lucky rocks. I can not say why, other than they intrique me and I like them.
What is it in us that makes us want to collect things? Just wondering. I think it will be interesting to learn what some of you are drawn to collect and the reason why.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Well I collect Nippon and occupied japan figurines, for some reason I love the beautiful pieces that I can find randomly when going hunting on antique places.

Just can not get enough.
I have them all around the house.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Rocks/minerals, seashells, tea, and seaglass!
Those are the best.

Why? I worked in a store that sold rocks and minerals and absolutely loved them, so I started collecting. Seashells? Because mom did. Tea? That was kind of an accident. And seaglass is just because I wanted to.

[edit on 1/10/2009 by ravenshadow13]

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
i collect dreams in a big horn
and i am quite tall

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I collect video games and comic books just the nerd in me i guess.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Greenize

Dogs?

Actually I don't really collect anything right now, but I have been so tempted to collect rocks. There are some incredible specimens here where I live in the Southwest. I enjoy them while I'm out walking around, picking them up and turning hem in my hands, but but this one, I just had to wash up and bring inside...

I used to collect wooden cats and have one in the living room nearly as tall as me. I love the attitude cats have. Their expressive tails and beautiful eyes. My "collection" is in boxes now, because they themselves turned into collectors! What did they collect? DUST!

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I like to collect lightning. I've found a way to attract the lightning into energy receptacles that I use to charge the batteries which run my house.

I can't wait for lightning season again, I'm running a little low!

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   

I collect records, I love finding a band that blows you away youve never heard of. Its one of my favorite experiences.

i also collect vintage air racing and auto racing art deco posters and ads. Just because I think they look cool.

I collect vintage jackets because I like the styles and they are made better.

I guess collecting old recording equipment counts, eventhough I use it for work. In a nut shell, sounds better and is built better.

Interesting topic S+F

[edit on 10-1-2009 by drock905]

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Three things: Comic Books, Old 45's and LP's, Books

I love to collect old records, part of that is probably because I mix, but even before that I had a huge stack of records that I used to just sit and listen to. I still have them. I get more whenever I can.

The comic books just kind of happened, I started picking them up at flea markets and garage sales for pocket change. My favorite ones are comics that no one's ever heard of or things that are so old they've become obscure.

Books I can't explain. I could read by the time I was 2.5 and ever since then I have had this strange craving to read MORE. I have books stacked up everywhere and I have an inability to get rid of them. Even if it's a book I hate, I can't bring myself to give it away.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I am sure my husband would say I collect dogs!
That is a very beautiful specimen! Do you know what it is?

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   
What? Souls
Why? Because I can

Muahahahaha

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   
Rocks / gems/ crystals,

And Teapots.

Collected rocks since I was 11 years old. Always liked them.

Teapots, no idea why, I just like them.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Maybe rough turquoise deposit on some other rock, if found in SW. I'd put my bets on it being chrysocolla, though. Common in Arizona.
I collect books, too. I keep them forever after I read them. I horde them away and never get rid of them.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I collect perfume bottles, because they are just so pretty, and I collect rocks. I have one rock that is my lucky black rock, it is just small enough to fit in the palm of my hand comfortably, smoothed by mountain spring water, warm to touch and it is also looks kind of glittery.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Ooooh... my favorite rock probably strawberry quartz or blue tiger's eye. Or a piece of malachite on aragonite that I have. Or my herkimers... ahh... I'm a loser.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Greenize
Do you know what it is?

I don't. But I would guess turquoise. Here is a pic from the Internets:

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Hey Greenize,
I saw your topic headline and thought I would drop in and tell you what I collect and why. As I was thinking of whether or not to tell you what I collect, I thought that probably hardly anyone else will have the same,um, desire or want to collect what I do. Well as soon as I read your post I was pleasantly surprised!
I collect rocks too. I dont polish them or set them on shelves, I just collect them whenever or wherever I happen to be and I notice one I like.

I thought it was just a quirk that I do it. I don't go out specifically to do it, it just happens. I don't really know why, maybe it's because my grandfather made jewelry out of rocks, pipestone was his favorite. So maybe it's genetic.

I also love archaeology and so perhaps it ties into things buried. Why rocks? Perhaps because they represent the vastness of age that goes into making one. I hold one I like and think "How long did this rock take to get here?" I get awed by just looking at some of them.

I sometimes think they have energy or are "special" and keep them. I like to wash them and see them clean and wet, the colors and swirls.

Some how rocks touch or connect with something in me. I am a sucker for crystals, rocks, gold, whatever comes out of the ground. I am my own weirdo.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Could be, also see:
spiritrockshop.com...

Could be either, since both are common in the area and the specimen has some inclusions.

Note- rocks have energy

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
As i child i used to collect fossils, rocks and mineral....

Then comics, figurines (fantasy and sci-fi), then at the age of 12 i got hooked on role playing games.... especially Dungeons and Dragons.

I now have a HUGE pile of Dnd materials.

I was also a HUGE film buff, with hundreds of videos (Betamax and VHS) and have now started rebuilding my film collection on DVD (although i expect Blueray is gonna screw me over)...

Also a sucker for comics, novelty t-shirts, beer and spirit bottles, badges, books.... I have lots of books (mainly alternative type spiritual, conspiracy, phenomena and nature material)...

I also have the FULL collection of a series of comics called Toxic which went bust.

Oh and how could i forget my music...

I think I have a HUGE range of diverse stuff, ranging from ambient and chill out, to rock and metal, to electro/electronica, dnb, industrial, goth, psychedelic, psytrance, tekno, jazz, blues, folk, ska, classical and instrumental....

[edit on 10-1-2009 by mr-lizard]

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Anything to do with dragons. Can’t tell you why I can just remember I have always captivated with dragons, their looks the legends behind them. Also tidbits of useless knowledge. Because you never know when it could be relevant.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join