It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The news we get in the UK [Video]

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Right can we stop mentioning BBC, BBC is nothing to do with the video by the OP, the video is from Channel 4 news. I prefer Channel 4 news and documentary's usually over any other's in the UK. Yes the BBC does set agenda's and can be biased (Climate Change) but on the whole it does a pretty good job at reporting news, shows like "Question Time" and "Newsnight" are very good. The one thing that I don't like in any news anywhere in the world is when the "interviewer" or "host" gives their own opinion on a situation, I do notice you get this alot in the States.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   
Lets get some stuff completely clear here....Britain has THE MOST collusive media in the entire western world. BAR NONE.

The British ten d to think their media is more liberal because, like the americans, there are told this by the authorities.....however even the most casual observations will dispel this profound myth.

The british tv is entirely dominated by official propaganda more than any nation I have ever lived in - the people simply have that much faith in their class system that they could not even consider questioning the system that is - it is a grotesque form of self reaffrimation.

For those British posters who are always inevitably SHOCKED by the idea that their perfect world could be anything but remember I am from london, I study this, its my job and its totally true - sorry, I wish it werent.

The reality is that the UN issued this year, and last year, and the year before a consistant and statement regarding the appalling state of media freedom in the UK - there are laws preventing anything being published in print, TV, radio or any other form which can challenge the stability of the country, this includes the government and is used DAILY to edit ALL media in teh country - basically it all goes through a central authority for approval -

DONT believe it - simply look into the new channel that Britain is broadcasting into IRAN and think of the consequences if this were allowed to occuru in reverse, if TRUE freedom of expression occurred say, with IMAMS expressing their hatred of western values- remember this is the UN who states this -

Simply reading any Chomsky, Said, FOUCAULT or any other thinker of the past twenty eyars will quickly realise this.

I wish it werent so ---- I trully do -

To have it totally confirmed 0 try publishing a controversial book on the government, better yet - go out an buy one...there are none.

THe great thing is that the British are so UN aware of this that they spend their entire time telling everyone else to open up and "be press free" becuase they have no realisation of their own press suppression....ironic.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   
Wait, what? No news about Brittany Spears? Or celebs getting rowdy?! It's not news without it!

I'm glad there are some countries out there that still try to bring the facts to the table and aren't afraid to let things get a little heated. Good job U.K.

Unfortunately, Norweigan news follows the popular crowd.

Peace,
FK

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by masonwatcher

Now THAT is a real reporter at work.

I don't get to see that here in USA during the usual PR for Israel appearances.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 10:41 PM
link   
free in the uk... thats a hoot!!

wanna go hunting...wait nm..lol free in the uk!!

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by redseal

So freedom to you is butchering innocent animals for fun???

OK.....

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup

Originally posted by redseal

OK.....

But banning people from their 500 year old (or however) tradition on the whimsey of militant minorities is freedom?

WOW - perspective. I am so glad I left the far left for a more centrist position as it is posts like that which disturb me the most - yes I am a liberal.

[edit on 11-1-2009 by audas]

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 06:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by audas
But banning people from their 500 year old (or however) tradition on the whimsey of militant minorities is freedom?

What are you talking about?

Sorry if i missed it?

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 06:36 AM
link   

OK.....

And that statement bothers you?
So your idea of freedom is similar to the poster i was replying to?

Please be clear?

[edit on 11/1/09 by blupblup]

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 06:40 AM
link   

What are you talking about?

Sorry if i missed it?

Pretty simple, government banning of fox hunting is based on the moral outrage of a middle class. It is so profoundly middle class not just its mundane logic but also its origin and application.

But your initial point goes to questioning that hunting is freedom marketed in moralistic overtones such as butchery - but still you express this as a notion.

It is quite clear that government banning fox hunting is more of an oppression of our freedoms than otherwise - it is moral condescension of the most banal kind from the most banal intellect - that of the midddle class.

You have repeated the mistake. The protection of animals rights bby the surpression of mans rights is not freedom.

This is abundantly clear.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by audas

I really think we are getting off topic here.
IMHO, freedom does not equate to me being able to kill animals.... It's that simple.

There is no need for a load of people with too much time and money on their hands to ride around on horses and let packs of dogs rip an outnumbered and defenseless fox to pieces.

That is barbaric.

I have family who own farms, one in Devon and one in Kent... and YES i know that foxes are a problem, A pest even.... but that does not excuse the awful and barbaric way that these people chose to deal with them.
There are much more honest and simple ways to solve the problem...

Do you think we should still have cock-fighting..?
Badger baiting and hare-coursing??

What is ok by you and what isn't?

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Anyone who thinks uk is free is living in lala land. You have some people on a news report speaking some truths and you think you are free, lol.

Governments must laugh at your ignorance.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 07:22 AM
link   
The BBC is not a neutral source, it is either directly controlled by government or passive to government opinion. I assume the latter.

How do I know this?

A couple of years ago I saw, with my own eyes, a news conference held by the medical team who discovered the body of Dr David Kelly. They announced that as far as they were concerned, Dr. Kelly DID NOT end his own life.
This was a bombshell and should have led to an investigation and further discussion.

It was never mentioned, either by the BBC or government, ever again.
They just pretended that it hadn't happened, and that they hadn't covered it.

To me this shows that BBC take orders from government on issues that it doesn't want to be discussed in our media.

CH4 on the other hand, have consistently shown more emotion and responsibility in covering this slaughter by Israel. I don't relish the job of any reporter following what is happening there, I certainly wouldn't be able to talk on air to an Israel official without wanting to beat ten barrels of crap out of them.
My emotions would get the better of me and I'd have to either end the discussion and my duties there and then, or I'd fly off on a tirade of abuse.

In all honesty, I prefer to see a broadcaster with emotions. I'd expect a degree of impartiality in most cases, but in this kind of situation, an angry response is what is needed from all sections of every society. Including national media.
There are some things that go beyond diplomacy and reason, and Israel killing people and breaking international law is certainly one of those occasions.

As for the content:
I'm so sick and tired of seeing the Israeli spokespeople blatantly lying, covering up, deflecting, and resorting to accusations at every opportunity. They know exactly what the IDF are doing, if they didn't they wouldn't be a very good military would they?
Israel is committing war crimes, and we have to make sure that our governments hold them accountable for it when this slaughter ends.

Israel seems to completely disregard international law. And they refuse to accept that this is what they are doing. They are taking no responsibility for the actions of their soldiers, if they are not acting under orders.

I don't think there is any excuse now for any person to defend Israel. And you know what? We told you so!
Hamas propaganda? BS!
When the Red Cross, the UN, and Amnesty International all state that Israel is committing war crimes against a civilian population you have no right to defend Israel.

If you defend the actions of Israel, you are either ridiculously hateful or dumb beyond belief.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by audas

Why is it a persons "right" to hunt and kill an animal for their pleasure?

I didn't see any memo from any god stating that this was acceptable behavior for an "intelligent race". So who else gives permission and states that it is "your right"?

My argument against Fox Hunting was simply that Humans are so amazingly arrogant to assume that all life is here for us to use and abuse.

THAT is why so many millions of people across this country chose to end the killing of animals for the mindless and sick pleasure of a minority. It has nothing to do with class. It has everything to do with responsibility and progress as a nation.

When I think of Spain, almost immediately I think of people enjoying watching the suffering of Bulls as they kill them slowly with spears.
It was shameful to have a similar cruelty connected to my nation.

We all know what is right and what is wrong. Regardless of your comments on the "rights" of a few being denied by the opinions of the many, this was an instance where something could be done to end something that we all know was wrong.

And look, shock horror, it hasn't ended an industry, it hasn't put hundreds of people out of work, it hasn't actually destroyed a way of life and we're not all drowning in foxes. All of these were the irrational arguments proposed by the men in red coats as an excuse to maintain the cruelty.

The abuse of our environment and the abuse of every other life form within our environment can never be justified, especially when it is merely for the sick pleasure of a few Humans who have no claim on any of it.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 07:55 AM
link   
let's see...rockets and missles fired into israel... no big deal and no news...retaliation by israel...ISRAELIS KILLING WOMEN AND CHILDREN!!!!!

please...amazing that the west bank palestinians are not part of the israeli attack...gee...maybe...that's because...THEY ARE NOT FIRING MISSLES AND ROCKETS INTO ISRAEL!!!

get a grip people

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx
let's see...rockets and missles fired into israel... no big deal and no news...retaliation by israel...ISRAELIS KILLING WOMEN AND CHILDREN!!!!!

please...amazing that the west bank palestinians are not part of the israeli attack...gee...maybe...that's because...THEY ARE NOT FIRING MISSLES AND ROCKETS INTO ISRAEL!!!

get a grip people

And that is an excuse for breaking international law, killing innocent people, leaving starving children beside the bodies of their dead families, blocking medical staff access to them, refusing to tend to the injured, attacking UN convoys, herding civilians into "safe locations" and then bombing those locations, bombing UN sites, breaking the three hour cease when people are in the streets...
I could go on.

How on Earth can you defend any of that? Or are you going to come back again with "but, the rockets!"

At least try and display a defense, try to discredit the Red Cross, the UN, Amnesty International.
These are all facts from independent organizations, not Hamas.

I'm so sick of hearing Israel supporters ignoring the facts and pushing their "Hamas rockets" argument.
Stop pretending that these things aren't happening, face the facts.

You are supporting the atrocities of Israel. You are defending the murder of innocent civilians, you are defending bodies being run over by Israeli tanks. You are defending Israel in their murder of hundreds of people without restraint.

# your Hamas rockets.

You are stating that you support the breaking of International Law, that you think it is acceptable for Israel to murder people, including women and children.

No one thinks that Hamas launching rockets at Israel is ok.
But the actions of Israel are a million times more disgusting and horrendous.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx

get a grip people

The West Bank is in the process of being absorbed and the area is a swiss cheese of settlement. Siege and bombardment will also harm settlers so other methods are used.

However, Gaza is a concentration of Palestinians, surrounded by a wall and subject to a blockade for several months. This is easier to shell and bomb with no fear of harming Israelis therefore this process was adopted. The rockets are just a detail. If there were no rockets, the tunnels would have been used as an excuse because it was undermining the blockade.

A historical precedent of this kind of siege tactic was the nazi blockade of the Warsaw ghetto.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Lets get some stuff completely clear here....Britain has THE MOST collusive media in the entire western world. BAR NONE.

The British ten d to think their media is more liberal because, like the americans, there are told this by the authorities.....however even the most casual observations will dispel this profound myth.

The british tv is entirely dominated by official propaganda more than any nation I have ever lived in - the people simply have that much faith in their class system that they could not even consider questioning the system that is - it is a grotesque form of self reaffrimation.

For those British posters who are always inevitably SHOCKED by the idea that their perfect world could be anything but remember I am from london, I study this, its my job and its totally true - sorry, I wish it werent.

The reality is that the UN issued this year, and last year, and the year before a consistant and statement regarding the appalling state of media freedom in the UK - there are laws preventing anything being published in print, TV, radio or any other form which can challenge the stability of the country, this includes the government and is used DAILY to edit ALL media in teh country - basically it all goes through a central authority for approval -

DONT believe it - simply look into the new channel that Britain is broadcasting into IRAN and think of the consequences if this were allowed to occuru in reverse, if TRUE freedom of expression occurred say, with IMAMS expressing their hatred of western values- remember this is the UN who states this -

Simply reading any Chomsky, Said, FOUCAULT or any other thinker of the past twenty eyars will quickly realise this.

I wish it werent so ---- I trully do -

To have it totally confirmed 0 try publishing a controversial book on the government, better yet - go out an buy one...there are none.

THe great thing is that the British are so UN aware of this that they spend their entire time telling everyone else to open up and "be press free" becuase they have no realisation of their own press suppression....ironic.

Very well said ,a very important post

I think the term 'objectivity in media' is an absolute joke as all we have in reality is people just cherrypicking and (ab)using certain story angles
to push (and proselytize about) their own premeditated agendas.

News media corporations certainly have their own 'blueprint for truth',
the mindset 'people will beleive what we tell them to beleive' has completely supplanted impartial dispassionate coverage of events (if it ever existed in the first place).

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by audas

Quite a funny post, well written yes. But giving off a slight stench of a complex.

It is clear we suffer the same as virtually every other nation throughout the world, but having been to and seen many many other nations media your post is simply opportunistic dribble in my eyes.

I should have anticipated it in actual fact.

[edit on 11-1-2009 by MrAnonUK]

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033
Anyone who thinks uk is free is living in lala land. You have some people on a news report speaking some truths and you think you are free, lol.

Governments must laugh at your ignorance.

Nobody here has said the UK or any country is free.
Please read the thread before commenting or trying to stir up trouble.

You won't look as misinformed then

[edit on 11/1/09 by blupblup]

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join