It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama tax plan runs into opposition in the Senate

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Well, this is shaping up to be an interesting ride. Obama's proposed tax cuts are coming under opposition by his own party members; by people who endorsed the guy during the campaign.

Jan 8th, 2009 | WASHINGTON -- President-elect Barack Obama's proposed tax cuts ran into opposition Thursday from senators in his own party who said they wouldn't do much to stimulate the economy or create jobs.

Senators from both parties agreed that Congress should do something to stimulate the economy. But Democratic senators emerging from a private meeting of the Senate Finance Committee criticized business and individual tax cuts in Obama's stimulus plan.

They were especially critical of a proposed $3,000 tax credit for companies that hire or retrain workers.

www.salon.com...

and

Democrats criticize Obama's Tax Plan
news.yahoo.com...

[edit on 8-1-2009 by sos37]

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Welcome to the big league Obama.

They played you all the way to do things their way.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   
You know, a lot of ATSers who were Pro-Bama during the election commented about how outdated the Republican leadership in Congress was.

Well, I submit to you your own party members for examination. Old-school Democrats who will always hold true to their ways, no matter who is elected and no matter who says what. Obama may actually believe in a middle ground, but his own party believes in the core values - which is you RAISE taxes at all costs, not lower them! I'm betting if Obama's proposed tax plan called for a corporate increase in taxes the Senate Finance Committee wouldn't be opposing the deal at all.

Good job, Reid, Kerry and the rest of you old schoolers. You criticized the Republicans for being a tired-old party, yet you continue to be a boil on the a$$ of your own.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
Welcome to the big league Obama.

They played you all the way to do things their way.

You know what's REALLY funny? This very opposition was predicted on Nov. 6 by the Wall Street Journal.

Now that Barack Obama has vanquished John McCain, he faces a much greater foe: Democrats on Capitol Hill. They've humbled the last two Democratic Presidents -- and with their enhanced majorities next year, they'll be out to do it again.

online.wsj.com...

It makes you wonder when the hell the Democrats will wake up and realize that they have the same cancer on their own party that plagued the Republicans, yet they keep re-electing the same sorry excuse for representatives and Senators.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
I said many times throughout the election that Pelosi and Reid had their own agenda on how things will be done. All they cared about was getting a Democrat in the White House to rubber stamp it. Obama biggest friends may turn out to be the Republicans.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

Now that would be awesome.

Obama turn coat to a Reagan republican.

In case people didn't know Reagan was a Democrat until he realized that the democrats were just power hungry and didn't stand for anything they say they represented.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
I, for one, think I'm going to love the next four years if this is just the preview of things to come. After years of "Bushisms" and all the jokes that the no-talent hack Jon Stewart told about the Republican party, it'll be quite refreshing to watch the Democratic party, who promised change, peace and harmony during the DNC, bicker and fight amongst themselves when the chips are down. They're proving that no matter who is in office, politicians are still politicians and the only really stupid people are the American voters who keep electing them over and over again.

* Blagovich under investigation for corruption; party moves to impeach
* Democrats block Roland Burris from taking the Senate Seat, then make way for him the next day
* Richardson, a member of Obama's chosen Cabinet, drops out because he's under investigation
* Obama pisses off Feinstein over Panetta
* Senate ridicules Obama's tax plan

And it's not even January 20th yet!!!! BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHH!!!!!!! OH THE HUMANITY!!!!!!!!

Let's see Stewart, Colbert, Olbermann and SNL maintain their ratings when they refuse to make fun of the reigning party.

OMG, This is going to be a HOOT!

[edit on 8-1-2009 by sos37]

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

You may be right, jam.
Reid and Pelosi are in for a shocker, though, if they think Obama is going to rubber-stamp their agenda. I have never liked Pelosi, but lately, Reid has taken a spot on my list as well.

Obama knew he'd have a big job getting the Democrats to go along with him. It will be interesting to see what happens. Interesting times ahead...

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   
I wonder if anyone has taken time to think that "maybe" the fact that Obama is touting policies, or at least "a" policy that his party is not exactly in favor of is, perhaps, evidence that he is attempting to get away from the typical bipartisanship that occurs in Washington....

...but, no, no, no....before he comes out with this, he's a bloody, godless, communist ready to turn America into the next, ready to collapse, Soviet Union....now, suddenly, bang...a policy they like, tax breaks, and "maybe" he's a turncoat Reagan Republican....

Here is an idea.....maybe, just maybe, Obama is an educated, diplomatic, compromising moderate...you know, someone with a bit of sense...a bit of rationality...a bit of understanding of the political system and how it works....and how it works is when its members, the people who make up the cogs of the system, work together...instead of against one another.

If he understands that, compromise and diplomacy, it makes him the farthest thing from a Reagan Republican..it'll make him a good statesman.

But anyway, that can't be the case...we need to get back to the usual unproductive division and swinging from one "extreme" to "the other." No place for slow, deliberate rationality and compromise in politics....its all clear cut...left or right...no place for a middle-ground.

posted on Jan, 8 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by madhatr137
I wonder if anyone has taken time to think that "maybe" the fact that Obama is touting policies, or at least "a" policy that his party is not exactly in favor of is, perhaps, evidence that he is attempting to get away from the typical bipartisanship that occurs in Washington....

Here is an idea.....maybe, just maybe, Obama is an educated, diplomatic, compromising moderate...you know, someone with a bit of sense...a bit of rationality...a bit of understanding of the political system and how it works....and how it works is when its members, the people who make up the cogs of the system, work together...instead of against one another.

Nah! That can't be it!

In all seriousness, he SAID some of his policies weren't going to please Democrats. When he was stumping, he told the people they were going to disagree with him at times.

But, as you said, it doesn't make good "politicks". Good post, madhatr137.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

You may be right, jam. Reid and Pelosi are in for a shocker, though, if they think Obama is going to rubber-stamp their agenda. I have never liked Pelosi, but lately, Reid has taken a spot on my list as well.

I can't believe this, but we seem to be in agreement on all three people now. I was very concerned about Obama, and despised Pelosi and Reid. You, of course, were very supportive of Obama, despised Pelosi, and Reid is now going down in your estimation. I now am pleasantly surprised by Obama, he seems to be ready to govern from the center, so here we are, with pretty much the same views. Wow. that's worth a star BH.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 08:17 PM
link   
I don't like pelosi either and remember that the congress we have are the same recycle trash and morons that we have every 6 year terms and the only difference is that they fluctuate from one party and the other in majority.

They are corrupted by big corporate lobbyist they are sinking this nation to the ground and none of them care about the American people and the suffering that they are having due to their bad policies in favor of the pimps that pay them under the table.

Obama now has to fight them and their pimps the lobbyist to get anything done.

He already was talking about his first vito if congress didn't release the reminding TARP money to him.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by ProfEmeritus

And one for you, professor

I expect Obama to run into a lot of opposition in the Senate... from both sides. And I like that idea.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I agree. As I said about a month ago, although I didn't vote for him, he is (or will be in 4 days) my president also, so I hope he has success. I'm beginning to see a pattern that he's trying to bring the country together. I think it might be easier than bringing Congress together.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProfEmeritus
I think it might be easier than bringing Congress together.

I think you're right! I can't believe what cry babies they are! And they're so staunch in their partisanship that they wouldn't agree with an idea from "the other side" even if they thought it was a great idea!

I totally respect someone that can say - you know, I didn't vote for this guy and I'm not sure how he's going to do, but I can recognize his efforts and successes at bringing the country together and doing his best to govern ALL the people, not just those in his party.

Because if people can't see that, they've got "party glasses" on and are too stubborn to pull them off and see clearly, IMO.

new topics

top topics

join