It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Living Giant Sloth?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by andre18

Good point, Thats why I posted it here to get peoples opinions
thanks

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Those photos are a guy in a suit... not a giant sloth, the same guy in the case was caught claiming to have the bigfoot body on ice and it was proven to be a suit...pretty sure it was the same case, but I saw the other photos and they were black or dark brown but the same fat man was in the suit, what are the chances 2 different obese sasquaches exist in the same area... the same fatman in 2 different suits is more likely either that or he dyed the suit...

sloth is slow... how could a giant sloth even get away, ever see one at the zoo? it takes them all day to scratch their own ass...

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I see fingers anyway. Don't sloths have huge ass claws?

Boooo

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Hey I never said it was real but if you can give us a link to that info on being a fraud I'd love to see it.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   
It's not improbable to believe that there are certain species that survived. Want proof? How about the Coelacanth?

Coelacanth

Until 1938 the coelacanth was believed to have been extinct for over 65 million years. Individual fish may live to be 60 years old. Large dark brown to blue-grey fish that can grow to about 2 m/6 ft in length, and weigh up to 73 kg/160 lb. It has bony, overlapping scales, and muscular lobe (limblike) fins sometimes used like oars when swimming and for balance while resting on the sea floor. They feed on other fish, and give birth to live young rather than shedding eggs as most fish do. Coelacanth fossils exist dating back over 400 million years and coelacanth were believed to be extinct until one was caught in 1938 off the coast of South Africa. For this reason they are sometimes referred to as ‘living fossils’. Populations have since been discovered off the Comoros Islands in the Indian Ocean, the island of Sulawesi in Indonesia, and Sodwana Bay on the northeast coast of South Africa.

With this in mind, it's not completely ludicrous to believe that there could be species still surviving out there without being discovered.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Seruak

Very good point I'm looking for a video that shows a real world investigation in south America for a living giant sloth I'll post it here stay tuned

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 01:15 AM
link   
It's stinky, hairy and mean - but is Amazon Big Foot real?

"It is quite clear to me that the legend of the mapinguary is based on human contact with the last of the ground sloths," said David Oren, former director of research at the Goeldi institute in Belém, at the mouth of the Amazon River. "We know that extinct species can survive as legends for hundreds of years. But whether such an animal still exists or not is another question, one we can't answer."

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 01:25 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 01:26 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Ok here's the photo your talking about:

www.cryptomundo.com...

Still looks fake to me....

I got mixed up with this story, maybe it's not the same suit, but this is just an example of how any paranormal topic can be full of corruption

www.telegraph.co.uk...

The hoaxer was Tom Biscardi, of this dead body case, not the other case, he and the other 2 hoaxers were in on this for money, one was a cop who has since lost his job and Biscardi was kicked out of the bigfoot organization seach crew whatever...

2 different stories, I get mixed up when it comes to bigfoot stories, they all seem to mesh together for me probably because I don't buy it....

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Razimus

2 different stories, I get mixed up when it comes to bigfoot stories, they all seem to mesh together for me probably because I don't buy it....

Yeah OK cool fake "Bigfoot" right!

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Legendary Giant Sloth Sought by Scientists In Amazon Rain Forest

AN American biologist and a team of scientists, technicians and Indian guides are preparing to penetrate the trackless rain forest of western Brazil in pursuit of a South American counterpart of the fabled Himalayan yeti. The object of this quest, headed by Dr. David C. Oren, an American ornithologist employed by the Brazilian Government, is an animal Dr. Oren believes to be a human-size ground sloth, belonging to a family thought by paleontologists to be long extinct. Accounts by Indians of the Amazon region describe the elusive animal as terrifying and dangerous, physically powerful and equipped with some kind of chemical defense capable of paralyzing opponents. Dr. Oren, a staff scientist at the Goeldi Natural History Museum in Belem, Brazil, said by telephone that he had conducted more than 100 interviews in the last nine years with Indians and rubber tappers who told of having had contacts with the

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Good thread. I've never even thought about ground sloths in my life. Had a look at the pictures and read up on them. Also learnt about newly discovered critters in Tanzania. Flagged as a thanks

Looking at the pics of the 'beast', I don't think anyone could be convinced. They look wrong and unnatural. I couldn't work out if it's a guy in a sloth outfit or a stuffed representation of a sloth. Surely there can't be much for demand for a sloth outfit? That's right. Couldn't find any for rental although there is definitely (as pointed out) what looks like an elbow. It seems to be stuck in that position. The glimpses behind the bushes seem to be in the same position, hard to be certain. The left eye is blank too. I looked at this ground sloth skeleton and doubt these things could have any chance whatsoever of living quietly in the rain forest of Brazil. In the wikipedia ground sloth entry it describes an ancient species that was 5 tons in weight

I had a look for examples of sloth taxidermy that could have been used. I found this! Why would anyone do this?
The main sloth online is the one that shouts, "Hey you guys!" I guess any connection to Bisacardi casts doubt. He's a gullible numpty that believes anything that people say.

I don't think we've discovered any large mammal species in a long time. That alone indicates that there might not be any to discover.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kandinsky
Good thread. I've never even thought about ground sloths in my life. Had a look at the pictures and read up on them. Also learnt about newly discovered critters in Tanzania. Flagged as a thanks

Looking at the pics of the 'beast', I don't think anyone could be convinced. They look wrong and unnatural. I couldn't work out if it's a guy in a sloth outfit or a stuffed representation of a sloth. Surely there can't be much for demand for a sloth outfit? That's right. Couldn't find any for rental although there is definitely (as pointed out) what looks like an elbow. It seems to be stuck in that position. The glimpses behind the bushes seem to be in the same position, hard to be certain.

True I think I'm the only one putting the two together as a possible sloth match.
The one in the picture is supposed to be some sort of Bigfoot not a sloth.

A Bigfoot with long claws like a sloth. Again if somebody is going to fake a Bigfoot why make it so unlike a typical Bigfoot? Also if I’m not mistaken giant sloths had elbows.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by scubagravy
its too proportional to a human, look at pics 4 & 5.

I spy with my little eye, something beginning with E....

Giveup ??

An Elbow, a pointy human one at that. Looks nothing like the plushy full body haired replica the man is standing next to in the above picture.

Costume shops must be busy these days

Edit: and where is that waggly tail ?
[edit on 6/1/2009 by scubagravy]

Agreed!

The elbow looks just like a human elbow inside a loose costume. I wouldn't bite this one, seems fake.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by thomas_

Yeah I'm pretty sure they had elbows and even forearms

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

For sure they had, but look at the skeleton and add muscles and other tissues to that plus the fur and it probably won't be as near that pointy or thin.

Also near the right side of the back of pelvis there seems to be a seam in the fur.

Sorry it could well be real, but for me looks like a guy dressed with one of those dead animals carpets in his back. Still not convinced.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Reminds me of all the footage of bigfoot, aliens, ghosts, loch ness monster. Until I shake it's hand I will have a hard time believing it.

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 12:17 AM
link   
thats cool guys I never said it was real just makes you think is all
Thanks for posting.

posted on Jan, 25 2009 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Hmm first, recent forum reader, first time poster... with that out of the way.

This is actually rather interesting to me since it brings up a recent memory of a series of photos (3 or 4) I saw on a website which I cant remember for the life of me now, was about 6 months ago or so... it might have actually been on Cryptomundo when i think about it, i'll have to give em a check after this to make sure.

They where rather unusual, not the best of detail and comments left about the images by the sites visitors pretty much gave the impression that others either thought it was a bear or was definitely NOT a Bigfoot, but not a Bear either.

The photos where black and white either due to the time period they where taken in or for other reasons. They showed up close (given the scale of objects in the photos say 10 foot), an odd creature. Bear like, very dark in color, on four legs with a giant ant eaters form of posture with a longish neck and head that was pretty close matching to what you'd think a Giant Sloth would look like (or at least very similar to the OP's first example photo of the guy in blue near the statue) just not as large. It was also if I remember rather shaggy or almost very shaggy (wish I remembered where I saw them
). It was standing (on all 4's) in a grove of rather thinly spaced trees (no idea what type of tree but they were rather thin). Given its size in relation to the angle of the photographers eye level it was pretty large.

If only I could remember where I saw those photos, anyone else know the Photos im talking about?

Was just neat reading a forum post here at ATS and suddenly having my memory jogged of them and thinking "Oh thats what it could have been!" since Giant Sloth never really crossed my mind the first time i saw the photos.

As for the OP's links to the photos on Cryptomundo... definitely a guy in old bear skins with a frame on his shoulders holding up the upper half of the get up, might have been more hard to laugh at, if they had taken the time to hide or obscured the seam/overlap along the back leg/hip of the costume in the last 2 photos.

Ive loved cryptozoology since I was 4, just hate it when idiots run the sciences credibility down with constant ridiculous hoaxs like that one.

Anyway I only hope some one else knows the photos im talking about or even the site their on which would be great. As for Giant sloths or some sort of similar ancestor of em still being around, id say theres a pretty good chance.

cheers

[edit on 25-1-2009 by BigfootNZ]

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join