It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Living Giant Sloth?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   
I was going through some of the older threads and found this one
Giant Sloth still alive?

In it they had posted a video that was in Spanish regarding some evidence found that points to a living Giant Sloth

I'll re post the video here

Then as I was reading the post and later watching the video I remembered seeing on another web page some pictures somebody took of a possible Bigfoot.

Linky here
and
Here

I remember them because this did not seem like a typical "Bigfoot" picture.
This creature was fat around the waist, had shrugged shoulders and had long claws.

Here is what a giant sloth would have looked like.

And this is what they spotted

I remember back then thinking that this was a real bad Bigfoot fraud but after seeing this video and doing some reading and learned that the Giant Sloth as far as we know it supposedly died out fairly recently

Source

Ground sloths are a diverse group of extinct sloths, mammals in the edentate superorder Xenarthra. They may have died out as recently as 1550 AD in Hispaniola and Cuba,[1] but had long since been extinct on the mainland of North and South America. The term "ground sloth" is used as a reference for all extinct sloths because of the large size of the earliest forms discovered, as opposed to the extant "tree sloths." However, this is an historical convention and does not imply that all extinct sloths were strictly terrestrial in nature.[2]

More info on what they could be
Here
and
Here

So what do you think? Could this thing still be around?

Please let me know
SLAY

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 07:50 PM
link   
its too proportional to a human, look at pics 4 & 5.

I spy with my little eye, something beginning with E....

Giveup ??

An Elbow, a pointy human one at that. Looks nothing like the plushy full body haired replica the man is standing next to in the above picture.

Costume shops must be busy these days

Edit: and where is that waggly tail ?

[edit on 6/1/2009 by scubagravy]

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Again how many would be required for these to continue existence? There can't just be 1 or 2 there has to be quite a few and why are they hiding? Looks like a man could wear that so I think it's a hoax.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Good observation but what gets me going is why if your going to fake a Bigfoot why make it so unlike any Bigfoot types that we know of? and why have long claws when everybody knows Bigfoot has no claws

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 08:09 PM
link   
That is a good question I can't answer.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 08:12 PM
link   
By the way that is a pretty good show I just am unable to watch because I don't like the guys voice. I don't know what it is, but still, good show.

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by lupusyonderboy
By the way that is a pretty good show I just am unable to watch because I don't like the guys voice. I don't know what it is, but still, good show.

Me to

I turned the sound all the way down

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
Good observation but what gets me going is why if your going to fake a Bigfoot why make it so unlike any Bigfoot types that we know of? and why have long claws when everybody knows Bigfoot has no claws

Not only that it has a small tail, what's up with that? I am second guessing my jump to conclusion...who know's could be the last one?

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by lupusyonderboy

I know and Sloths are nasty haired animals hardly any grooming so that would explain the nasty looking mottled hair!

posted on Jan, 6 2009 @ 08:34 PM
link   
I wonder, I'd like to believe it's the real deal. I'll say this I wouldn't be taking any pictures because I'd be to busy running in the other direction. Hoax or not I applaud those brave enough to take these pics for me to pass judgement on unfairly.
P.S. I quite taking my anti-depressants so I'm off my rocker a bit I apologize if my posts are senseless..

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 12:29 AM
link   
looks like a bear to me in the first 2 pictures.

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 12:46 AM
link   
Not a bad comparison actually.

Don't know about sloths walking on their back legs though.

Did the giant one do that?

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by fooffstarr
Not a bad comparison actually.

Don't know about sloths walking on their back legs though.

Did the giant one do that?

Yeah they did and they were huge I was lucky enough to see a real skeleton in the Smithsonian in Washington DC a few years back and that was huge

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 09:53 AM
link   
The first two pictures look like a bear and the last two look like like a stuffed figure you'd find in a museum.

EDIT: General grammar and spelling mistakes

[edit on 06/21/2008 by diamount]

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Yes they were able to walk on their hind legs. But I don't think that was their regular mode of transportation. In what I've read, the hind leg thing was for reaching up into trees. But their walking on the hind legs was supposed to be similar to a bear. Able to do it, but not very affective compared to on all fours.

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Here is a follow up story on possible living giant sloths this time in
South America
Linky

As far as walking on two feet good point and if it is a modern version of a giant sloth maybe it lost its tail?

Compare these to the possible Giant Sloth mistaken for a "Bigfoot" in the OP

And another thing if these things are out there I wonder as they are walking around on all fours how many times have people glanced at them deep in the woods and just thought to themselves
"Oh theres a bear" And dont give it a second thought?

[edit on 7-1-2009 by SLAYER69]

[edit on 7-1-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Hmmmm the second linky from the OP, the one where the photos are from, i spy Thomas Biscardi's name, tell me if im wrong but isnt he Mr Fake Georgia Bigfoot?

Be cool if it did exist though. It's One big son of a gun aswell! Bigger than any bigfoot!

posted on Jan, 7 2009 @ 08:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Liamoville

Be cool if it did exist though. It's One big son of a gun aswell! Bigger than any bigfoot!

Yeah I think that if they are still around they would be huge and no telling how many have been mistaken for bears

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Sloths mainly walked on all fours, standing only while foraging for vegetation. I call BS.

posted on Jan, 16 2009 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Look at the 3rd one down. It's just standing there in the open. Bears don't stand unless they are showing dominance or aggression, or if they're climbing up trees. If this sloth is as big as this photo makes it out to be, it wouldn't be walking around in the open so exposed to predators.

[edit on 16-1-2009 by andre18]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join