It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

War Vet, 50, Stunned By New Deployment

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   

War Vet, 50, Stunned By New Deployment

www.wsmv.com

MURFREESBORO, Tenn. -- A veteran who has been out of the military for 15 years and recently received his AARP card was stunned when he received notice he will be deployed to Iraq.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Sheesh...The M.I.C. must be getting pretty desperate for bodies.

The guy has been out of the military for 15 years, is middle-aged, and doesn't even know the current system for what he was trained to operate many years ago.

Pretty crazy. But I guess when you sign on that dotted line, your behind belongs to Uncle Sam. Hopefully he makes it out of there okay.

"I can understand, say, 'Here, we have this assignment for you stateside. Go do your training,'" said Paul Bandel. "But, 'Hey, here's a gun, go back to the desert.'"

www.wsmv.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Was he an officer? Officer's have some paperwork that they need to complete before getting out to make sure crap like this doesn't happen.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Thank God for the RE-4!!!!

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 11:56 PM
link   
They must've been keeping a tight lid on how unwilling people are to sign up. I mean we knew opinions of the troops changed after spending some time in Iraq, but who knew it was this bad?

I cant help wondering if this is the result of some bizarre logistical error, they surely cant be so desperate for boots on the ground as to recruit a 50 year old. Perhaps he is some mechanical or electrical expert in his field?

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 01:47 AM
link   
while in a rehab detox,,, everyone was housed together,,,, even those on suicide watch,,, and the skitzafrenic and all ,,, just one big dysfunctional family in 2 huge rooms

it was crazy being in there,,,,,,'

anyway

while there i met a guy in the army,,, he was a recruiter,,,,,, he actually went crazy,,, and got himself locked up in detox ctr,,,,on suicide watch,,, to get out of doing recruiting,,,,,,,apparently the pressure put on them was enormous and very stressful,,,,, and he wanted out,,,, he says he sort of acted nuts to get out of it,,,,,but i think it was half and half,,, it really did drive him nuts

and do you know what the quota was per month?????

take a guess in your head right now!!!!!

i figured like twenty to thirty a month

nope,,,,,, two,,,, two freaking recruits a month,,,,,, and they could barely do it and he admitted to trickery and saying anything to get someone to sign up to save his own hide from higher ups

this man ruined his future enlisted status,, retirement etc,,, to get out of recruiting 2 people a month

of course it worked,,,, he was transfered to another dept when he was gonna be released,,,,, he was stuck there extra long waiting for the army to make a decision...

and ,,, as with everyone,,, after getting stuck in there from some hard partying,,, after sobering up,,, you can't wait to get out,,, and wonder how the helll did i get in here in the first place????? he was p-ssed!!!

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Sorry, but I don't believe this story unless he's a national guard guy. When you get out, there is a time limit for reservists, like six years or so. Regulars can't come back at all, in any service. I graduated from a military academy, and believe me I would love to get back in. There's no way they'll let me.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Jim Scott

Agreed. I'm trying to find some more information on this, but the only thing available is this story from TN. I tried to get back in on 9/12 but was told that at 48 I wasn't needed. I'm having a lot of trouble believing the whole story here. JH

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Yes and the next worrying thing for Americans is that once they have run out of old age pensioners who will they send next, do I smell the draft coming?

Its inevitable given new troop deployments to Afganistan and the lie that the war in Iraq is over which it is not so that will tie up much needed manpower. Plus given the US's penchant for stinking its nose where its not wanted I should think the draft is a real possibilty. And the fact that the only booming business in the US at the moment if the defence budget.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

You do know getting an RE-4 code on your DD214 means you (or whoever got one) were a complete douchbag and not even the military would use you as cannon fodder...lol. I wouldn't be to proud of it!

Actually let me EDIT to ADD...that goes for the ARMY! Not sure how RE-4 works for the other branches. There are some slight differences in seperations from each branch.

[edit on 1/4/2009 by rcwj75]

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
I was in the army and when you leave active duty you are placed in the inactive reserves for a maximum 10 years. Within that 10 years they can call you back at any time. After that I don't think they can make you go anywhere.

At least I hope not because that would suck.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by rcwj75

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

You do know getting an RE-4 code on your DD214 means you (or whoever got one) were a complete douchbag and not even the military would use you as cannon fodder...lol. I wouldn't be to proud of it!

Actually let me EDIT to ADD...that goes for the ARMY! Not sure how RE-4 works for the other branches. There are some slight differences in seperations from each branch.

[edit on 1/4/2009 by rcwj75]

Actually in the Navy it simply means that a shrink figured you were more of a liability then you are worth. I was a 4.0 sailor until my last command. I needed out, got out, and made sure it was RE-4... of course that was 11 years ago.

I remember the day I made that decision. I was the star performer in our unit. Anytime an admiral or a senator needed a tour of the cyber ops center, they called me.

Then one day, my gf who was pregnant needed to see the OB/GYN and we only had one car. I asked Chief if he minded me taking off 30 minutes early and I explained why. He said simply "She's not your wife, so she's not my responsibility"... as true as his minimalist perspective might have been, that was my boy in there, and I realized immediately where both Chiefs loyalties and my loyalties were, so I set about achieving a goal.

It was the best move I ever made.

Thank god too, because it means, they don't want you back... they wouldn't take me back for anything

When I see this guy who is 50 being brought back, I thank my lucky stars for the RE-4.

[edit on 4-1-2009 by HunkaHunka]

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by DimensionalDetective

Sheesh...The M.I.C. must be getting pretty desperate for bodies.

The guy has been out of the military for 15 years, is middle-aged, and doesn't even know the current system for what he was trained to operate many years ago.

I say let the old guy at them.
He might teach those young whipper snappers a thing or two!

Some of those old timers were tough as nails.

Anybody want to mess with this one?

[edit on 4-1-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   
the goverment doe what ever it wants you guys know that. yes they didn't any 48 year olds on sep12 2001 because they had plenty of dumb 18 year olds lining up for the meat grinder. now not so much we had our human resources head pulled back in after being out for almost 20 years but he was a lawyer and an officer thats why he got called back

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   
This is being blown way out of proportion.... this was probably nothing more than a clerical error and will be corrected as soon as things are sorted out by MEPS and JAG. Although I have to agree he might be able to teach our boys a few things.

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 06:58 AM
link   
I hope he doesn't forgot his slippers and Toffee.

[edit on 5uMonday09/27/08 by paul76]

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 07:14 AM
link   
having a 50 year old vet back in the rear, slapping the smiles off of the green nutsacks, and telling like it is, wouldn't be a bad idea.

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by rcwj75

RE-4 is also given to service members who are wounded or have service connected disabilites that make them unfit for duty. It does not necessairly mean one is a dirtbag. An Honorable discharge with an RE-4 is still an Honorable discharge. Re-4 just means you won't be called back to active duty.

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimmyx
having a 50 year old vet back in the rear, slapping the smiles off of the green nutsacks, and telling like it is, wouldn't be a bad idea.

Based on the "babies" cryin on this thread, I have to hope someone can bring Patton back. Rather has a 50 plus with training with me than a 19 year old gangbanger just serving his time in the military............

posted on Jan, 5 2009 @ 07:27 AM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

There has got to be more to this story, as other posters have mentioned there is a time limit for being called back to active duty once you ETS.
(yep, my sorry butt got called back in)

And if he has been out for 15 years, and did not retire from the military,also the missle system he used back then is no longer in service..
either it is a Clerical error, a hoax, or something else to this story is being left out...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join