It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

For those wishing to store food

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
You may find this of some use for certain items that you purchase.

Cheat Sheet for Sketchy Food Expiration 'Codes'

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 02:30 PM
link   
Also, if you are storing tins long-term write on the tin what is contained within. If the paper label falls off there is nothing worse than opening your fruit cocktail and finding hot-dogs (or vice-versa).

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
In the past I called a few companies to find out about the date codes. The sheet may be correct for the ones presented, but, I was told that some are manufacturing codes and then they determine the date from that. Also, all the codes were supposed to change to an easy readable format which could mean that some of those with the old system are old cans.

The typical shelf life for can products is 3 years.

Also, if the can becomes dented the shelf life decreases and never eat from a can that has rust on it.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Siren
The typical shelf life for can products is 3 years.

Also, if the can becomes dented the shelf life decreases and never eat from a can that has rust on it.

Not doubting you, but I know that a lot of military members here on ATS can tell you about eating C rations that were a lot older than three years. I know I chowed down on some in the 1980s that were dated from Vietnam.

Rust is good to check, but it's good to make sure that the can hasn't sprung a leak, or that it's swelled any.

posted on Jan, 3 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Personally, I don’t do store bought canned food. Long term dehydrated and freeze dried are all that I have bought for my larder. The bulk of my stored food I’ve done myself in 5 gallon buckets using oxygen absorbers, etc. I expect all of my stuff to be good for at least a couple of decades. I’ll be very happy if I have to start eating it for rotation purposes before then.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Anyone in U.K. know of distributors that will ship to, or within our fair isle?

Individual MREs are a little too expensive and companies such as eFoods won't ship. Suggestions please?

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nirgal
Anyone in U.K. know of distributors that will ship to, or within our fair isle?

Individual MREs are a little too expensive and companies such as eFoods won't ship. Suggestions please?

Cant help direct but can point you in the right direction, I'm told theres a company in Wales that supplies the stockpiles of kit for the Mormon church in the UK, they apparently do bulk sales. So you need to speak to your local mormon community.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by jerico65

Not doubting you, but I know that a lot of military members here on ATS can tell you about eating C rations that were a lot older than three years. I know I chowed down on some in the 1980s that were dated from Vietnam.

My statement was in direct response to the list presented, which are store bought items and not speciality items.

I stock some store bought items, and some Mountain House items which is in a different category.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Your best bet is to store non-perishable items, such as dry goods and water. Then all you need is a fire, which shouldnt be too difficult to do.

Tho canned goods will last awhile, they wont last anywhere near as long as dry goods can. Plus canned goods take up alot of room and weight, where as dry goods can be compacted and are lightweight.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I have some of that too! I planned my pantry for short term, long term and indefinite. I would not want to open a Mountain House can for an event that is of a short duration.

Recently, I had to consume some of my short term storage due to the high cost of food. I was glad I stored it.

Hope this makes it clear.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Here’s just one source among many I found with a quick search.

www.queenswoodfoods.co.uk...

Buy in bulk and can it yourself in five gallon plastic buckets.

www.fcs.uga.edu...

Do lots of research before you start, these are just starter links.

posted on Jan, 4 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by RFBurns
Your best bet is to store non-perishable items, such as dry goods and water. Then all you need is a fire, which shouldnt be too difficult to do.

Tho canned goods will last awhile, they wont last anywhere near as long as dry goods can. Plus canned goods take up alot of room and weight, where as dry goods can be compacted and are lightweight.

Well, that's a whole new ballgame.

Dry goods and water. Have a way to store the water? Know about how much you need per person, per day? I think they said a minimum of one gallon per person, per day. If you're in a dry area, it should be three gallons.

And what about keeping it pure? You might have a spring, creek, river right next to your house. Plenty of water there, and pretty clean. That is, until a body comes floating by. Then what?

Fire can be difficult. What are you going to burn? How are you going to store the fuel for the fire? Do you know how much wood you'll need to boil a pan of water to cook rice, beans, etc?

new topics

top topics

join