It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

80's cartoons - did they have/leave an impact on YOU??

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by ironjello
one thing I found odd about cartoons in the 80s since i was born in 1976 is the amount of racism involved in the wb cartoons. just one example is Buggs Bunny using "cotton pickin" all the time. One wb cartoon that I do think about a lot is the cartoon documentaries like under the see where dog fish barked and hammer head sharks pounded nails with their heads.... Oh and then their is G.I. Joe... loved it. What about M.A.S.K anyone remember that cartoon...

Now wait one cotton picking minute here! That's racist? Could you explain how?

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   
most of these cartoons actually have illuminatist/zionist themes, transformers movie is full of it so was the cartoon, and theres a 911ish episode of turtles where they use the towers to open a stargate, they have been conditioning your minds since you were children. baaah!

WAKE UP!!!!!!!

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 10:19 PM
link   
What a coincidence - I've been totally immersed in 80's cartoons, music, video games, and commercials for the past week. I don't know why but I've been living through a very nostalgic time-loop recently.

Here's one of my favourite clips entitled Heroes Unite: The Ultimate 80's Tribute...

I think part of the reason I've been nostalgic recently is that I've got a kid on the way, and I've been thinking about my own childhood. I honestly miss Saturday mornings (I would actually get up early on Saturday and plan out my cartoon viewing from channel to channel).

Considering what's on Saturday morning's now, I've decided to compile everything I used to watch as a kid and make it available for my child whenever they're old enough to enjoy Ghostbusters, TMNT, He-Man, Transformers, etc.

Also, I have a YouTube channel devoted to 80's Aussie commercials (as I live in Australia now) if you want to check it out:

CheeseCafe's Aussie 80's

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Early 80's there was a 5-person team cartoon called Battle of the Planets.

Basically it was a sanitized version of the Japanese series called Gatchaman which was produced in the 70's.

Unlike Gatchaman, in BOTP, no one died and they had to stop airing the series at about the 85th (out of 105) episode 'cause there was no way they could slice up the rest of it without destroying the entire plot line.

Anyone remember 7-Zark-7? The obnoxious robot that let you know that everyone was 'okay'.

I was 12 when I first saw it back then, and now, at 38, I am collecting the entire Gatchaman series as they get produced.

It's had a HUGE impact on my preference for Japanese animation. I never could go back to He-Man, She-Ra, Ullyses, etc.. But Star Blazers/Robotech were good.

[edit on 2008/12/29 by juniperberry]

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Oh yeah "les mystérieuses cités d'or , Ulysse 31, M.a.s.k (i was a fan of the m.a.s.k toys) what else...Albator, Goldorak, Galaxy Express 999 and a gang of others. "Cartoons and légos" it just rocked.

I don't think the cartoons, for the most part, were filled with "subliminal messages" but the Ads in between the parts of each episode definitely.You know: "Buy this , buy that, it's new, you need it " lol..consumerism
These ads were tryin' to dumb me down, i don't think it has changed unfortunately.

I feel old now are you happy?

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by themaster1

I dunno about subliminal messages in the cartoons but I know that they are there in the films, illicitly. Big laughs there.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by MCoG1980
reply to post by ironjello

remember M.A.S.K (another classic), cant say i watched GI Joe although i saw enough of its mercandise - the kids tv shows were filled with toy/action figure adverts in between.

mask is so awesome,,, i'm getting the box set soon,,, although i checked you tube vids of it,,,,it wasn't as great as i remember,, but still rocks

got the complete set of shirt tales for xmas---bogey's cool

also liked smurfs and snorks,,, reading online ,,,,as a kid i never realized all the supposed womanizing and stuff in the smurfs

loved he-maN TOO----although i seemed to watch cartoons without to much underlying rhyme or reason

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I think Transformers has a hidden meaning. Its our real history but reversed .........

As early man we witnesses a war of robots/ships that could change shape ( shape-shifters ) . They looked like cars , planes , tanks etc... they even took the shape of humans and other animals for exploring uneven ground.

Ever since then our genetic memory has unconsciously led us on a path of invention to emulate what we witnessed. Our thirst for technology was created during a single event.

Hollywood here I come.......

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 11:09 PM
link   
I loved the smurfs, and I absolutely loved the shrooms they lived in. I cannot really say how THAT impacted me but lets say a life long love of mushrooms developed. I think Smurfs had a hidden meanings, and so does this google search! Google results for Smurf Hidden Meaning

I watched this cartoon called Peabody, it came on between Bullwinkle episodes. That taught me to research things, that was a smart dog!

I was a teen in the eighties, and my favorite show was PeeWee's playhouse. It was so brilliantly presented in colors and such, and was witty and hilarious. I love Pee Wee still!

I was introduced to Fritz the Cat, a vulgar dirty cartoon as a teen in the eighties. It impacted me, because I was so shocked! I learned that they made dirty cartoons, and they can be hilarious!!

Those are the eighties cartoons/kids shows I recall, and how they impacted me. I still love cartoons to this day.

[edit on 29-12-2008 by hotbakedtater]

[edit on 29-12-2008 by hotbakedtater]

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 11:27 PM
link   
Anyone ever see Courage the Cowardly Dog ?? That cartoon is
psychedelic.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Another great - Fraggle rock:

"Creating this allegorical world allowed the program to entertain and amuse while seriously exploring complex issues of prejudice, spirituality, personal identity, environment, and social conflict. "

extract taken from the link below:

muppet.wikia.com...

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Watched the M.A.S.K clip and it brought back memory's I had forgotten. The toys kicked butt. I had the Jackhammer which was a Ford Bronco II. My second vehicle I bought as an adult was a Ford Bronco II. Everything is explainable in my 11 dimensional universe.

Smurfs being blue living in shrooms is no coincidence.

I hate to think of the propaganda and junk I subjected myself to early on in life.

posted on Dec, 29 2008 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Evasius
I honestly miss Saturday mornings (I would actually get up early on Saturday and plan out my cartoon viewing from channel to channel).

Sadly enough, i did that too

[edit on 29-12-2008 by MCoG1980]

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Haha my first car after watching M.A.S.K. was a red Camaro.

Other than that it funneled in lots of creative imagination. I watched many of these cartoons.

Smurfs
He-Man
Battle Of The Planets
She-Ra
Jem
Transformers
Voltron
GI-Joe
M.A.S.K.
Thundercats
Go-Bots
Dungeons and Dragons
Scooby Doo (until they added Scrappy)

[edit on 30/12/2008 by toochaos4u]

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Smurfs
He-Man
She-Ra
Transformers
Voltron
GI-Joe
M.A.S.K.
Thundercats
Go-Bots
Dungeons and Dragons
Scooby Doo

I watched these...loved them. I also watched a couple of others that stand out:

Underdog
Pink Panther
Silverhawks
Leisure Suit Larry...

Garfield
Heathcliff
Hulk Hogan's Wrestling Stars
Peabody was awesome
Darkwing Duck
Ducktales
The Muppet Show

and a few more...there was a dude with a skintight suit with organs on it...Mr. Goodbody or something that I liked...

If you folks have not seen them, go to youtube.com and look up the GI Joe PSA's...hiiiiiiiilarious. You may even remember the originals, I do!

OP...I don't think the cartoons were supposed to have ulterior meanings and motives, remember that this was an age of coc aine, marijuana, and opiates...ALOT of "artists" used these to induce creativity

after EDIT: HEAVY METAL Rocks!!!

[edit on 30-12-2008 by daddymax]

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Loved them. The older i get the more i reminisce about the things we had in the past especially cartoons and music and outdoor playing. I want to go into tears everytime i think how fast i have grown and miss all that stuff.

I hardly like the music these days i think its got more to do with being absent minded and sexualising the new generation with music that dont even pull at your heart strings because the singers usually just look good. and thats all the talent they need.

I play old cartoons i find on yourtube and only listen to the 50's, 60's 70's and 80's music now.

One song i really like and never heard off before because its old is 'in the year 2525'.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 01:03 AM
link   
thanks for the reminder, i loved that show as a child.

My personal opinion, is that cartoons today are made to completely stupify and retard children. Cartoons of today, leave little to the imagination. Gen Xrs are too rebellious, Y and Z will be clones and zombies.

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 01:27 AM
link   
your right, the cartoons today are pretty stupid, especially when i think about cartoons that i used to watch as a child. anybody remember 'hey arnold'? or rugrats? and i just loved the theme song for duck tales. so catchy. ^_^

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 01:40 AM
link   
Inspector Gadget
Tom & Jerry
Top Cat

Now I did not like the Mario Bros. show...but I LOVED the Legend of Zelda thing they used to do...

What about Captain Nintendo? ODD!!!

The Littles
The Snorks
Talespin...oooo ooo oooooo

One of my favorites... Bravestar
you know eyes of a hawk, speed of a puma, strength of a bear, ears of a wolf...had a horse named 30/30...AWESOME!!!

[edit on 30-12-2008 by daddymax]

posted on Dec, 30 2008 @ 02:30 AM
link   
I can definitely say ninja turtle, captain's planets, GI joe, X-men (I know its a 90's) and transformer all had an impact on me - it really burned the of concept of heroism into my mind and give me a strong sense of justice, that still linger to this day - the duty to help others, to stop injustice in the world, and to save world in peril, to sacrifice myself for others.

Its unfortunate these shows coated the everything as black or white. It would be sometime before I realize the world is A LOT more complex than portrayed - such that the world is actually are coated in various shades of gray, and that good and evil are merely subjective concept that are define differently from person to person.

Anyways, parents don't be despaired by the junk on TV these day. One show I found rich and multilayer is this show called Avatar: The Last Airbender, with an actually story and structure, character development, cultural references.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join