It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats going on at yellowstone?

page: 410
<< 407  408  409    411  412  413 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

I've run the wave through Sony Soundforge and stretched it to 2:51 (close as I could get to your 3:00 remark)...sounds like maybe a carrier wave with info? Could it be "bleeding" from microwave/sat X-mitter...wonder if they've upgraded/changed Equip over the summer (stronger X-mitter)...could explain randomness...all conjecture on my part...

multimedia-mirage.redirectme.net...

Actually I could stretch it again to a 14:14 wave to hear even more high freq info but...

I'll leave the link active for a couple of days...

[edit on 1/28/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963
Thank you for the post...that now sounds really quite extraordinary and almost creepy. There's certainly a fairly steady background noise, but the overlays are quite varied.

I won't even hazard a comment on if it's a carrier wave effect as I'd get myself in all sorts bother -- I just ain't that knowledgeable...

But I guess one of the problems is that we are probably not hearing what it rally sounds like, just a synthesis of it. At least, I assume that's what we're hearing.

Fascinating, though...

Mike

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   

You're stretching it wrong, it doesn't work that way with seismic sound files. Basically by increasing its duration time while mantaining the original pitch you created a new sound which has little to do with what was actually heard at 1x speed.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Shirakawa

I know LoL...that was my intention...I was trying to "listen" to the high pitched "carrier/data stream"...see if I could disconcern some pattern...sorry if I corrupted your intent...I can remove the link if you'd like...but like him...it weird'ed me out also...

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Moshpet
reply to post by spinkyboo

I'm not a fan of the rsoe site, as it seems largely sensationalist.

Not that it can't be a good tool, but to me it seems media-driven.

M.

I think the sensationalist feeling is partly due to the inaccurate translation efforts - at least this is how the descriptions appear to me. The site isn't always right on - of course - as it appears is true for many a reporting site - but I know that there have been times - when this site kept up with pertinent information - when others have failed to do the same.

[edit on 28-1-2009 by spinkyboo]

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   
The program file zip is on the download site I created (see a couple of pages back). This ONLY runs with SQL Server or SQL Server Express (2005 or 2008)

Hold on for a few minutes. I just realised the connection won't work on a differnt computer. Give me 15 mins and I will put a new one up there.

[edit on 28/1/09 by PuterMan]

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   

The only problem with your attempt is that by doing it this way the sound editing software interpolates the original wave file to "fill" empty spaces, and this might create sound artifacts not present in the actual seismic data.

reply to post by PuterMan

Agh, I noticed that!

[edit on 2009/1/28 by Shirakawa]

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Shirakawa

OK...no problemo...was just tryin' to answer mikes' what would it sound like...but by slowing it down with a slight reverb you can hear some 3-D nuanaces (even if artifacts) that make it more interesting...was just havin' fun with my toys...

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   
OK, the corrected program is on the 4shared site now.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   
OK, the corrected program is on the 4shared site now.

Sorry about the double post. Not my doing.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Not working for me.
"Server was not found or was not accessible".
The file size and creation date are the same as the other one by the way.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I have put the file US_LKWY_BHZ_20090127-061645_0009.wav on my site www.4shared.com...

This is only at 800 samples/second. Hope it helps.

Sorry should have said this is the pipecleaner noise.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   
This is in the new issue of Popular Mechanics:

Desktop Earthquake Detectors

Many laptops have tiny accelerometers that warn a computer that it is being dropped so it can protect its hard drive from impact. Researchers at two California universities realized that these sensors could be used to form a cheap network to detect earthquakes quickly enough to provide useful warnings.
Operators of the Quake-Catcher Network(qcn.stanford.edu)are recruiting laptop owners to download software that converts their computers to sensors. Like a screensaver, the software operates only when the computer is idle.
The systems largest success occured last July, when computers detected a magnitude 5.4 quake that caused moderate damage near Los Angeles

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Hello everyone! I've been watching this thread from the beginning in December. When I first heard the news of swarms in yellowstone, the hair stood right up on the back of my neck. I took geology at Uof I along time ago and still hear the warnings of my professor to never live in California and always keep an eye on Yellowstone! In the summer I'm a weather nerd, and now I have something to watch in the off season.

Now to my question, what happened to the thumbnails? I found that they are the best way to monitor the area when I have only a little time.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by TREMORS4

Good question...they haven't been updated since last nite...Thought Provoker? runs it I believe...might be doing some upgrades, having a problem with thumbnailer software or Berkley lagging on data?

www.isthisthingon.org...

quake.utah.edu...

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by TREMORS4

I also wanted to comment on those pipecleaners. They look alot like the interference I would see on EKG machines in physicians offices.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Looks a little noisey at LKWY today starting after 09:45...storm front moved through over nite looks like...hhhmmm

quake.utah.edu...

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Ok, so this gent www.skywise711.com... had claimed that he turned harmonic tremors from Helens into .wav files for our pleasure listening that happen to sound a bit like the .wav files that you brilliant people created; But.. the referenced gent above now states that the signals he converted are NOT harmonic tremors and are under investigation.. So, what the heck is this signal!?
There are a lot of articles on electric and magnetic signals bouncing off of pre-eruptive volcanos - does anyone have an example of one?

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by akjen

IMHO 50x speed is far too fast and it is not necessary to have the speed so fast as I have now proved with my program. I have now got the 'pipecleaner' noise down to 600Hz (which is the original signal x15)

You can find the file here:
www.4shared.com...

The file is called US_LKWY_BHZ_20090127-061645_600-SampleRate.wav

I am going to see if I can get this even closer to the speed it was originally recorded at.

Edit: I have now put a file up there at 400 Hz. You can still just hear the rumbles, but the 'pipecleaner' sounds even more like a motor/pump.

Now put one up there at 200 Hz. To take it any lower I will have to alter the program. This really does sound like a pump I think. (The laste 200Hx file is 5 x the actual speed)

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   

It is coming down in Freq nicely...I commend you on your tireless effort to get down to the nitty gritty concerning this anomoly...now you better patent it and sell it to USGS & U of U before someone else Lo-Jaks' ya...

new topics

top topics

<< 407  408  409    411  412  413 >>

join