It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats going on at yellowstone?

page: 409
<< 406  407  408    410  411  412 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 10:01 AM
link   
Nice to see U of U is trying to update Quake info...when looking back it kind of looks like it never really stopped...

Looks like Seismo-Thumbs have been down since last Nite...

As if a Ice Storm wasn't enough in Oklahoma now a ~M3.4...musta felt left out after Kentuckys the other day!

[edit on 1/28/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by spinkyboo

I'm not a fan of the rsoe site, as it seems largely sensationalist.

Not that it can't be a good tool, but to me it seems media-driven.

M.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Demonstration of Eruption (Yellowstone, Hudson Bay)

www.youtube.com...

This You Tube video is my experiment to determine how a magma chamber would erupt if inundated by a lake.
I know where the fault that will rupture is located. I know how Yellowstone will erupt. And I know when.
Watch,and find out more,if you're curious. Ask a question and I'll provide the answer.

When?
The when of the eruption is tied to where of the eruption. The eruption will start along the original caldera. It will happen when The Huckleberry Ridge Tuff fracture intersects the fractures caused by the Sour Creek dome.

www.seis.utah.edu...

On the map on this site, you will see the orignal caldera (Huckleberry) marked in orange. The Sour Creek Dome is the northern most of the two uplifted zones marked by a dashed lines, it is just north of the lake. You will see where the first caldera and the doming intersect. An eruption occurs when fractures allows a breach in the system. The area also has fractures caused by the Elephant Back Ridge uplift in the 1970's. A fracture in the lake would allow water to enter into the aquafier and geyer system. The pressure from the lake will force water into plumbing and will widen passages and collapse others. Very quickly, parts of the roof of the magma chamber start to collapse, allowing pockets to capture gas. It then becomes a cascade as earthquakes destabilze other parts of the fracture and chamber. It will happen anytime within the near future. It will happen following a major earthquake.
Sincerley,
Robin Marks

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   
Okay now stop foolin around! This ain't funny no more. Oakley is purty close. How come there is nothing on usgs? Is there anywhere else to get info on these? Or do you think this one is false? I havent got a usgs email on this one either. I usually do and then later I get a delete message from them after they review it if it's false. Man thats a little unerving! I swore last night I felt something too before I went to bed! Just kind of like small undulating waves, I dunno, was weird...

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by dodadoom

I see a event at 12:23 on the 27th from Trail Mountain, Ut Webicorder.

quake.utah.edu...

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Robin Marks

I think I saw that vid some time back around page 200...

Admitted some of what you have stated is fairly solid, however the data from the scientists suggests your scale of effect is off by several magnitudes.

I'd have to go back a 40 (or less) pages to where someone posted a vid link to where the USGS had a bit about the steam eruptions in Yellowstone, which were caused by earthquakes making the waters in Lake Yellowstone recede. This let the pressure of the 'kettle' as it were and they had a 5km bang that rearranged the geography of the lake in a huge way. Not to mention it putting a copious amount of mud and steam altered rock all around the lake.

A volcanic 'effect' if you will, but not a Supervolcano, which is what I think your demonstration is more indicative of in my opinion.

Admittedly if there is a massive steam eruption in the lake I would see it as a likely precursor to other things, and would do some hasty shopping. Even then I'd be watching for other precursory signs as well.

M.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Robin Marks
It will happen anytime within the near future.

Hmm then I wonder why the USGS and YVO don't seem to agree. They might say "could happen," but they are not saying it WILL happen in the NEAR future. What other evidence is there to support that aside from a recent five year increase in vertical ground deformation, thousands of quakes over just the last fifty years, and two big quakes?
I dunno, beats me.

It will happen following a major earthquake.
Sincerley,
Robin Marks

And how close do you think that quake would have to be and what magnitude would be needed to set off your theory here? Because I mean we just had hundreds of quakes right below the lake itself, and that didn't do it. Although it may have further weakened the fractures. But no major event has happened during these last swarms.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

Ah, thanks. Ya that must be it. Theres also this one:
www.quake.utah.edu...
This may coincide with what I felt last night.
Was about the same time.
Just seems odd it doesn't register on usgs...

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by dodadoom

There ya go...and that isn't any mine activity that late at nite...under review?

Update:
quake.utah.edu...

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Moshpet

Lisa Morgan talks about the Mary Bay area of Yellowstone Lake and the Steam Eruptions that formed the bay.

www.nps.gov...

More from Lisa Morgan via Naked Science.

www.youtube.com...

Enjoy.

M.

[edit on 28-1-2009 by Moshpet]

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Shirakawa

Do you mean that you'll include all VASE data since January 1st? That's a lot of data!

No all the USGS data on Mag 1.0+. Actually I had not thought of storing the Vase data - I might take a look at that.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Moshpet

I understand the history of steam eruptions. A good study is The Floor of Yellowstone Lake is anything but Quiet. The scenario I describe has the Lake draining into the permialbe rock in the geyers zone. It's like having termites getting into the trusses of your roof. They undermine the wood. If you have heavy wet snow melting, it will wick under the awnings and saturate wood. Then the wieght collapses the whole roof. However, yellowstone's roof is being lifted by the pressure of the magma chamber. The geyers system, inudated with the water from the lake, under pressure, will collapse and sink into chamber as the fractures of old caldera fail. This is a partial roof collapse. And creates the pocket for the gas. Steam eruptions, mud flows and other hydro-thermal events happen near the surface. My scenario happens just below that layer. The exhaust systems is restricted by silica deposits. This will not allow excess water and steam to escape. The water will circulate and pool and erode. Undermining the roof. Water under pressure will cut rock. Think of it happening in a similar manner as a glacial lake that escapes through a fracture. Iceland has one documented. I should look it up. There may indeed be a percursor steam eruption. But this may allow the lake direct entry into geyers. It would all happen very quickly.
Lake Peigneur.
ca.youtube.com...
Anyway, I'll stop here, while I'm pausing to breath.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Moshpet

The glacial flood was in Iceland in 1996,

www.wdcgc.spri.cam.ac.uk...

If anyone can link to video of event I'd appreciate it. I saw a documentary years ago, but can't remember the source.

There is more examples of power of sudden floods in the creation of the Bad Lands by a Mega Glacial flood.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   
For those of you interested in the SQL Server version of the database the backup is on:

www.4shared.com...

You need to restore this backup to a database called 'QuakeData'. It must be called that or the connections will not work. The connection uses your Windows logon so you need to ensure that you include yourself as a Windows Logon AND as a user in the database.

u2u me if you are having problems.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by akjen
Hi there,

follow what you are saying...and I remember what that sounds like.

As the playback is sped up by a factor of fifty, that "clunking" or "scraping" sort of sound is probably in the infrasonic range, or very close to it. (Very low frequency sound, I mean.) Like just about everyone who's heard it, I've been trying to imagine it stretched out over 3 minutes to figure out what it is, and I'm wondering if it is actually mechanical -- but natural mechanical, meaning some kind of rubbing or scraping between two or more surfaces moving against each other. Like layers of rock, for example...

Now a general comment for all and sundry about the "pipecleaners"...

The variations in the thickness, length and intensity of the "pipecleaner" traces on LKWY's webicorder over the past several months (since at least late July 2008) are puzzling. Granted, we've had an opinion from Dr Lowenstern that it's either some kind of electronic interference or else it's (man-made) mechanical noise, but I have to say that I'm still dubious about that. It's just so variable... And if it were a glitch, surely they would've fixed it within the past six months or so?

To Shirakawa and PuterMan: WOW!!
THANK you for your amazing work!!
I don't really understand how you got it done but it's brilliant!!

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Just noticed this from CNN Link. This may effect your readings on Yellowstone.

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Forgive me if someone else has asked this question but could there be some other kind of underground activity that is causing these seismic results?

I can’t help but notice that there are a lot of mountain ranges in the vicinity and several large military bases in the adjacent states. Could some other activity cause these results?

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

Wonder if there'll be an update on the bigger one 22 miles south of Oakley???
Um, you know the weird part about it is I felt these waves earlier!
About an hour before that I was in the tub and thought it seemed like the tub was moving! Like waves from south to north by guesstimation.(california to yellowstone) I wouldn't ever have brought it up but if I ever did this would be the place! First thing I thought was "earthquake" but it was more subtle and I couldn't really see anything moving either. Thought it was probably just me but now I wonder.....maybe it WAS only me that felt it beforehand....maybe because I am aware now.....whoa!....???(enter twilight zone music here)

Edit to add: Yes nightsky4dawn, I think there is a chance of that! There is probably a reason a military hammer costs(us)1000 dollars! Where does the rest go? The black budget also is massivly huge and that is just what we know about. Secrecy always fosters suspicion though. Here is a local story that definately raised my curiousity! Along with first hand accounts, witness comments, who knows whats really going on. Does area 51 even exist? www.magicvalley.com...
The weirdest things are always the "official" explanations!

[edit on 28-1-2009 by dodadoom]

posted on Jan, 28 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

www.sciencedirect.com... 1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=01a2fde47bb4b09ba3d4a7f7f2049174
I thought this would be interesting if I could understand what they were talking about..

new topics

top topics

<< 406  407  408    410  411  412 >>

join