It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Al-Sadr Supporters Take over Najaf

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 11:43 AM
link   
In growing anarchy throughout Iraq, it is being reported that supporters of Muslim cleric Moqtada al-Sadr took over government and religious buildings in Najaf, Iraq. Sources also indicate al-Sadr is in the Ali Mosque, one of Shia Muslim's holiest shrines located in Najaf.

CNN.com (developing) The source also said al-Sadr was busing followers into Najaf from Sadr City in Baghdad and that many members of his outlawed militia, Mehdi's Army, were from surrounding provinces. Supporting Stories: Radical Shiite cleric moves to Najaf Related: Radical Moqtada Al -Sadr Cleric Revered, Feared in Post-War Iraq US Coalition on the hunt for Moqtada al -Sadr Turmoil : Shiite Resistance US, Iraqi forces surround Fallujah [Edited on 6-4-2004 by SkepticOverlord] [Edited on 10-4-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 11:46 AM
link   
it seems that Al-Sadr is the link that is connecting the two factions of muslims, Sunni's and Shi'ites. Al Sadr is vowing not to be captured alive and is also promising that resistance will continue regardless of what happens to him.

Sunni's and Shi'ites Unite Against U.S.

[Edited on 4-6-2004 by worldwatcher]

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Sad to say but if we don't go in there TO WIN all may be lost in short order and we could end up with another Viet Nam like Teddy Kennedy was spewing on about yesterday...

This is a terrible situation getting worse every minute we don't go in and clean it up.

Seems we are at a crossroads in Iraq. Do we follow through and finish this, which will cost many lives and much bloodshed OR do we walk away?

This guy has set the stage which is a failure on our part in and of itself (the fact we allowed this to happen). We now have someone else choosing the battlefield, a HUGE tactical mistake.

Worse yet, the battlefield favors this man and his crew by several orders of magnitude over our troops. Our technology is not as big of an advantage in house to house urban warfare when compared to the terrain knowledge/popular sympathy possesed by the enemy...

A critical stage has been thrust upon our forces, will they win the day?

m...

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I think this cleric, Sadr, isn't as influential as the media makes him. He doesn't carry broad Shiite support. And, he's wanted for killing off another Shiite cleric. Now, if this was that Sistanti person, I think we'd be in a lot of trouble. Rather, a lot more trouble. Still, things are about to get ugly.

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Interesting article on this issue here:

www.frontpagemag.com...

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Valhall,

Interesting, thanks for the link.

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Another interesting article here:

www.globalsecurity.org...

It seems that this fight is over nothing more than some low-life mullah trying to make a grab for power.

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 03:34 PM
link   
here's another link that should be of interest:
Who Is Muqtada al-Sadr
"His father, the Grand Ayatollah Mohammed Sadiq al-Sadr, was the most powerful Shiite cleric in Iraq in the late 1990s. His uncle, Ayatollah Mohammad Baqir al-Sadr, was a leading Shiite activist before his execution by Saddam Hussein�s forces in 1980. Muqtada al-Sadr went underground in February 1999 after a spray of gunfire�from Saddam�s agents, according to most accounts�killed his father and two brothers. He inherited a network of schools and charities built by his father, along with the allegiance of many of his followers. Only 31, Sadr lacks the decades-long religious training required of high-ranking Shiite authorities. He bases his claim to authority on his lineage. "

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 03:35 PM
link   
The stage is being set !

dont be a pawn or sympathizer for the new world order!

look deeper my people into why this is all happening and you will see that money is controlling all theese forces and events and they are forming your opinions for you with theese events.

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I can assure you that no attack will make america leave. If u do you would get a bad rep on the world age.. you bomb the hell outta a country then leave.

posted on Apr, 6 2004 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Who are Iraq's Mehdi Army?
Iraq's Mehdi Army (MA) militia probably has no more than a few thousand actual members but its potential for organising unrest is clear from the street battles which erupted in Shia parts of the country.

"Safe" cities turned lethal overnight for the coalition this April

It was created in the summer of 2003, prompted by radical Iraqi cleric Moqtada Sadr, who preached the need for a new force in his sermons.

Young men were recruited at offices near mosques to defend the Shia Muslim faith and their country in defiance of the US-led coalition's arms controls.

One year on from the invasion, Mr Sadr's movement continues to take on new members, now feeding on dissatisfaction with the coalition among Shia who initially welcomed the ousting of Saddam Hussein and the end to curbs on their faith.
bbc link

RELATED INTERNET LINKS
Al-Jazeera
Al-Manar
IRNA
Al-HawzahSadr's fiery rhetoric
BBC in depth

[Edited on 6-4-2004 by SE7EN]

Q

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 02:05 AM
link   
It's about time we took this chump out. If he wants to try and start some 3rd rate preemptive coup, that's his business and he'll see what it gets him. I honestly don't understand what took so long. I'm so tired of hearing "I'm a mullah and everyone needs to do what I say" from these pasty-faced, sunken-eyed, wannabes. The man reminds me of a chubby Ayatollah Khameni. Make no mistake, I fully respect those who work for the title and legitimately practice the religion in it's true form. I'm just tired of seeing what seems to be every Tom, Dick, and Harry in the middle east claiming the title of mullah and pushing for political power because they think it gives them that right.
As Bremer said, "this man has a fundamentally inaccurate view of the future of Iraq".

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 08:11 AM
link   
Once again the same lesson is happening, you can conquer a country, but you can't occupy it forever. If the majority of the population doesn't want you there your gonna eventually get booted out. Attrition sucks...

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Ah it's nice to see the American attitude fluourishing. Do what we say or else! I have watched this since the development. Of course Geroge Bush is going to say that he's evil. He has huge support around the country and Sadr's support will only grow larger. He wants to establish a Muslim Law type system. What is the harm in that. The Muslim laws are very strict. But of course Sadr does not like the United States because it is doing everything to suppress religious power in Iraq.

I can't remember his name, but another cleric was killed outside a mosque in Iraq last year. He was also very popular with the people. His death seemed a little suspicious as his support was getting larger and his stance was definitely Anti-American. Are we really interested in restoring Iraq to what the people want in a free democratically elected people by the people. Or, are we going to thrust a way of life onto the Iraqi people.

If we do the latter, the violence will never end and coalition soldiers will continue to die there. Let them elect who they want. If they get stuck with some #head, then it's they're own fault and will have to live with it. Like we live with Bush. Oh wait, he wasn't really elected either. Maybe another country is pulling an intelligence coup on the U.S.

posted on Apr, 7 2004 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Some have reported that al-Sadr is now holed up in Imam Ali Mosque , in the Holy city of Najaf.

Maybe this article will help put how the people feel about this place into some perspective. As Americans, we dont have any place quite like it.

Oh.. and there is a pilgrimage happening soon.

This is not going to be good.

[Edited on 7-4-2004 by GanjaGoddess]

posted on Apr, 10 2004 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Saddam kept all these people at bay, but the americans with 250,000 troops can't...

top topics

join