It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unemployment State by State

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 02:30 AM
link   
These are the current numbers, and it barely skims the surface.

money.cnn.com...

I'm unemployed and live in southeast Michigan, and have all my life. Filing for benefits this time around ( federal extension), has been nearly impossible.
Due to high call volume, it's impossible to get a person on the phone, the state filing system for online certification has been down, and the best people can do is find the nearest unemployment office.

The state filing office- or PRO in Michigan- as of last week is jammed, wall to wall with people, very desperate people usually in a line so long, it's extended through empty buildings in the area. There's a sign on the door which reads "if you aren't in line first thing in the early morning hours, you'll likely not be seen today".

I believe people are waiting in line overnight- not for some great chirstmas sales on black friday- but to try and receive unemployment benefits.

The unemployment rate can't touch on the reality in this state. The U.S. might ONLY be in a recession supposedly like in other states ( I doubt it, I'm betting entire country in depression) but here in the wolverine state, we're definately in a depression.

I'm fearful of what's happening in this state- and across the country, but more so in the colder, frigid regions. Right now the temperature is about four degrees, and just the thought of tent cities springing up here, or kids and families being kicked out of their homes keeps me awake at night.

I'm fine at the moment, but so many are not, and behind the bogus bs the msm keeps spitting out, Michigan is in dark days right now.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Well out here in Wy, which has the lowest rate of the entire nation, there are so many jobs here that if you dont have one, your not looking for one!

Its an unemployed persons gold mine for finding work.

Welcome to Wy! Where there are more jobs than there are people in the entire state!!
...and thats not a joke either!!!

Cheers!!!!

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 02:59 AM
link   
Thanks, Rf. I'll have to relay that to pretty much every person I know.

I know a lot of people held down here due to their entire extended families being here and never so much as traveled anywhere out of state let alone move.

But beggers can't be choosers, and don't be surprised if a bunch of us blue-and-goldies start migrating your way.

Michigan is on very shaky ground, despite the big three problems, and the one very BIG detail not shared on msm is - disgustingly- if the auto industry sinks, this entire state - no bs- will be out of work.
No exceptions.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 03:00 AM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

You're not kidding! They keep trying to get us to temp hire out down there. Maybe in the summer, but right now? not on your life!

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 03:15 AM
link   
reply to post by orderedchaos

The state of Wy has a wide diversity of jobs. I moved here about 3 years ago from Texas becasue I had heard that there is a consistant job availability here. After the first year being here I began to see more and more out of state plates on vehicles and then 6 months after that, it was very difficult to find housing and all of the motels, hotels, camping grounds were filled to the max across the entire state!

About a year ago they started hot and heavy on building new housing, apartment complexes and mobil home sales lots are starting to be very noticable. And the rate of new arrivals is steady. And there are still plenty of jobs to go around and plenty of housing now.

Last Sunday's paper had 8 full pages of job listings!

My fiancee works at a hotel as a housekeeper earning 12 bucks an hour! A typical starter job here, say one in the fast food arena, can start out at 9.50 an hour. Then you got the oil industry here, the coal mines, the uranium mines, the tourisim industries in the upper northern corners (Yellowstone and Devil's Tower), and the major cities in Wy are growing like crazy! In the southern part of the state near Cheyenne, there is a huge wind generator farm that is expanding! The coal mines are also running hundreds of train car loads full of coal each day. The telecommunications industry is booming like a banshee, Union Wireless cant find enough technicians, Bresnan is having a hard time finding cable installers, and the construction jobs!!! Man I have never seen so many construction job ads before! Even the state has lots of jjobs in a variety of tastes.

And Montana is right! The state of Montana is also a good hotspot for jobs too, as is South Dakota and North Dakota! The entire area is like a new born 4 statewide boom going on!

So come on down..er up..or across! The entire state has just over 520,000 in population! There is plenty of room for more!

Cheers!!!!

[edit on 23-12-2008 by RFBurns]

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 03:36 AM
link   
I'm ecstatic to hear there's growth and prosperity out there!

My husband has his heart set on moving to Vegas before the summer - he's already b****ing about the snow, but he's a hi-lo/ large engine mechanic ( pretty much any kind of mechanic) so he's hoping if things get worse here, that he'll be able to go almost anywhere and find work.

but others aren't so lucky, and as far as the rest goes, i'll pass it along.

Rf and Montana, I'm sure many people will be tickled to hear such news.
Some may even be packing right now

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 03:42 AM
link   
reply to post by orderedchaos

Be sure to do research first! Most of Montana is doing great, but the area I live in is over 10% unemployed as of last week. Check the local papers. Most of them are online.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by orderedchaos
I'm ecstatic to hear there's growth and prosperity out there!

My husband has his heart set on moving to Vegas before the summer - he's already b****ing about the snow, but he's a hi-lo/ large engine mechanic ( pretty much any kind of mechanic) so he's hoping if things get worse here, that he'll be able to go almost anywhere and find work.

but others aren't so lucky, and as far as the rest goes, i'll pass it along.

Rf and Montana, I'm sure many people will be tickled to hear such news.
Some may even be packing right now

Large demand for diesel and pump engine mechanics out here! There are alot of oilfield pumpjacks in Wy that use these engines to drive the pumps because they are so sperad out, not many of them are in areas where electricity is available to run the electric motors.

There is also a demand for truck drivers with HAZMAT certification. Basically all kinds of jobs needing workers.

Here is the link to the Wyoming Workforce website where most of the major employers post their jobs as well as the state postings. Here is another link for even more job listings!

I know its hard to have to relocate so far from where you have lived all your life or have been for a long time. I was in Texas for over 20 years before I moved up here, was hard leaving behind friends, but thanks to mail, email and internet and webcams I keep in touch with all of them regularly.

Sometimes you gotta go where the opportunity grows. And there are always vacations to go back and see family and friends again.

Cheers!!!!

[edit on 23-12-2008 by RFBurns]

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Pickings are slim. I'm EE and been in defense for past few years. Got laid off a couple weeks ago. Seems most jobs for me are west coast, Az, some on east coast. Problem is I don't want to move.

new topics

top topics

join