It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A "MORE addictive" Cigarette

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   
This is a minor experiment I have stumbled upon by chance through actions I have decided to take, in the intent to quit smoking. I feel the need to share my story in an attempt to enlighten others (only of what you gather), and hopefully hear from other smokers about the same experience.

I am a cigarette smoker. Infact, I could almost be considered a cigarette breather, but that's irrelevant information. When I started smoking cigarettes, I soon found out that I prefered menthol cigarettes over non-menthol. On top of that, I found out that I prefered Newports over other menthol cigarettes. So naturally, I started to buy them. Eventually, I was smoking newports by the carton, and buying a carton almost every week, meaning 10 packs a week. It only escalated from there.
After a while, I decided that it was in MY best interest to at least attempt to quit or slow down my cigarette consumption habits. So I found another brand, and swore myself off of newports, or more litterally, I swore never to buy another pack of newports again. I found another cigarette known as Santa Fe Menthols. I soon learned, that these 'mini cigars' had a few interesting qualitys that I shall share with you, relevant to my point.
Santa Fe's fulfilled my cigarette needs in less than a cigarette, meaning I could take 5 - 10 hits and be able to put it out and save it for later. They also lasted about 10 times longer in one sitting than nearly any other cigarette I've found. So if I were to take 10 hits, put it out, come back later, take 7 hits, put it out and come back later etc. I could make this one cigarette last as long as nearly half a pack of Newports. (probably exaggerated. anyway...) This means I also made a single pack of Santa Fe's last nearly a week, compared to a carton of Newports.
A pack of Santa Fe's also cost 95 cents, almost anywhere I can find them, providing me with plenty of extra money compared to smoking more expensive cigarettes. I've found a cheap and effective vice. This went on for months, sucessfully. I've drastically cut down on cigarettes, and saved alot of money in the process, without necessarily depriving myself of the 'essential fix'. This went on for months and months, sucessfully.
A few days ago, when buying one pack of Santa Fe's from the smoke shop (Theyre hard to find elsewhere) I also picked up a pack or Marloboro Reds. Remember that I'm a menthol smoker. Before I opened the Santa Fe's, I had a red.
It gave me a sort of head rush that I hadnt felt since I smoke newports. I could feel the burning gunpowder, taste it, along with what ever other chemicals are allegedly put into regular cigarettes. And before I knew it, the red was gone.
Needless to say, I liked the feeling, so later, when I would have normally re-lit a Santa Fe, I had another red.

Its been TWO days. The pack of reds are gone.

Clearly, there is such a thing as a MORE ADDICTIVE CIGARETTE.

(Please remember that I do not mean that Marlboro's are "The" more addictive cigarette, but that I am trying to prove that "More addictive" cigarettes exist.)

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by _R^z_

Yum Marlboro Reds.

They have the most tar out of any of them.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by PolandPride

I said at the end that I wasnt accusing Reds in specific, but I do believe that they fall into the group, absolutely.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Ive heard Newports have the most niccotine in them. I guess Kool filter kings are right up there too. I smoke Kool milds my self, I dont hack up hardly any loogies as compared to kool filter kings, which are too harsh on my lungs. But seems like to government is sweeping this issue under the rug, because of all the tax revenue it creates. If Nicotine is ok to put in to ciggaretts, then what is stopping them from puting it in any other products? Doesent kraft foods own phillip morris? Thats why i love kraft mac and cheeze so much!

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 05:29 PM
link   
I have been arguing for a long time, it is NOT the tobacco itself that is specifically bad for you, but the additives and the chemicals in the filters and paper.

I used to smoke American Spirits. I swear I could put them down andpick them up at will.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Maybe they add more ammonia? boosts nicotine 100x by getting more into your lungs before its burnt...sneaky cigarette companies!

ndsn.org...

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 05:45 PM
link   
That head rush you had is what I call a nicotine buzz. It happens when you haven't had much nicotine in awhile and then get a lot in a few minutes. So it's not necessarily that they are more or less addictive that any other kind of cigarette, it's more that you got a buzz off the higher nicotine levels. Especially since you went from having one pack of menthols last a week to smoking a pack of menthols and a pack or Marlboro Reds in two days. That is a major increase in nicotine in your system.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 05:49 PM
link   
On January 27, 2003, Philip Morris Companies Inc. changed its name to Altria Group, Inc. On March 30, 2007, a spin out of Kraft Foods subsidiary (publicly traded since 2001) was concluded through distribution of the remaining stake of shares (88.1%) to Altria shareholders. As a result, Altria no longer holds any interest in Kraft Foods.

-From Wikipedia

I guess they do have a history, but I cant find anything else that ties them together.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

I heard a rumor that the paper used in most cigarettes is lined with rings of gunpowder to help the cigarette not only burn evenly, but burn faster, so you have to buy them more often... I think i'm finally going to look that one up and proove it right or wrong ^^

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Jenna

I didnt smoke both packs in two days, infact, I didnt even open the Santa Fe's untill after I finished the Reds. I didnt want to, the reds seemed the tastier choice even though I would have rather had a menthol.

But your right, Im sure the nicotine levels in Reds were much higher than what ive grown accustomed to smoking, which might further prove my point ^^

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

0.o scary thought... Thought inspires thought...

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by _R^z_

They add tons of additives to most brands of cigarettes, and many of these additives serve to boost the effects of the nicotine, and make you want to smoke more, as well as making it easier to become addicted.

I'd definitely recommend switching to a brand that's produced without additives like American Spirits or Manitou, or alternately roll your own cigarettes, cowboy style. Takes a little getting used to, but it's cheaper, cleaner and tastes better.

I used to get really bad headaches after a a night of drinking and smoking a lot of cigarettes, and the headaches pretty much stopped after I switched to additive free organic cigarettes.

I personally believe that all the crap they put into cigarettes is actually more unhealthy than the tobacco itself, I still get headaches when certain brands of cigarettes are being smoked around me, and I'm generally not squeamish about smoke.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 06:09 PM
link   
even handrolling tobacco has lots of crap added to it,so your better of with organic grown, no things added rolling baccy etc etc...your still going to get cancer burning and inhaling any plant matter in large amounts though...so i dont think it matters much except for addictive properties.

[edit on 22-12-2008 by Solomons]

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 06:14 PM
link   
You probably just missed smoking cigarettes . I do the same thing when I go through a spell of smoking little cigars and the normal cigars. Another reason the you smoked the firs cigarette so fast was because a cigar and the little cigars burn slower. It’s like the all natural American Spirit cigarettes burn slower than the normal brands. While you are smoking the little cigars your not getting the same amount of smoke with an single puff. Hence, when you took a drag off of the cigarette it pulled more of the tobacco down with each draw. Just something that I noticed myself when I smoke different brands of cigarettes and cigars. But you are half way to quitting if you can completely break the menthol habit.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I switched to American Spirits and I smoke less than half of what I smoked before. Not only can a part of a cigarette be enough, but I don't crave them as often. I used to go thru a pack and a half a day (not actually smoking them, but going on break or out of boredom and not finishing them and just putting them out. The American Spirits are more per pack, but they are cheaper in the long run because I smoke so much less of them. And they taste better to me, so instead of putting one out and tossing it (the old ones) I keep these. They are not skunky if you relight them later as other cigs are.

Also, I noticed the smoke isn't as obnoxious as other brands. I smoke, yet I can't stand the smell, therefore smoke outside most of the time, and now that it's cold, I don't stay outside as long.

[edit on 22-12-2008 by opal13]

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by _R^z_

Sorry, I misread what you said a little bit then. I thought you meant you'd smoked both packs in two days.

With Marlboros Lights have more nicotine than Ultra-Lights, Mediums have more than Lights, and Reds have more than Mediums with the Blend 27's thrown in there somewhere around the Mediums. Can't speak for the other brands but I would imagine it's the same. That's pretty much the difference between them, well that and it seems like Lights and Ultra-Lights have longer filters than Mediums and Reds.

Understanding Tar and Nicotine Numbers, Philip Morris USA
Use of brand descriptors
Full Flavor. Medium. Mild. Light. Ultra Light.

PM USA frequently describes cigarette brands using these descriptors that facilitate a smoker’s ability to distinguish among our cigarette products.

We use these terms to describe the strength of taste and flavor in our products. They also serve as a relative indication of the average tar and nicotine yield per cigarette (as measured by a standard government machine method) for a brand in order to distinguish it from others on the market.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 07:27 PM
link   
i smoke marlbro reds or any other full flavor prefernce; about newports i prefer more than other menthols unless generic; kools have a bad taste. reds have a great flavor.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by _R^z_
reply to post by asmeone2

I heard a rumor that the paper used in most cigarettes is lined with rings of gunpowder to help the cigarette not only burn evenly, but burn faster, so you have to buy them more often... I think i'm finally going to look that one up and proove it right or wrong ^^

That's crazy if true, but it sounds like it could be anti-smoking propaganda.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I quit smoking (after 32 years of at least a pack a day) 17 months ago (yes, Im still counting because its not over yet)

I still reach for them, I still dream about them, I read this post just to hear about them...... It has to be one of the most addictive products in the world. ./sigh

I wish you luck in your future attempts to quit if that is your goal. As hard as it is.... I have not fallen back once.

I have to add though..... I dont feel healthier yet... I keep waiting but I actually felt better when i smoked

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Watch The Insider, Russel Crowe

Substance is called Cumarin, a lung specific carcinogin that also enhances the flavour AND addiction factor

You will hate PM after, it is a true movie

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join