It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RIAA to halt lawsuits, cozy up to ISPs instead

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 08:31 PM
link   

RIAA to halt lawsuits, cozy up to ISPs instead

tech.yahoo.com

At last, the music industry admits what we've known for years: That filing music-swapping lawsuits against teenagers, little old ladies, and corpses is a fool's errand (not to mention an expensive headache for the defendants). But don't worry—the RIAA has something new up its sleeves.

The new strategy (as reported by the Wall Street Journal): If the music industry finds out that you're swapping music files online, it'll send an e-mail to your ISP (agreements have already hashed out agreements with "some" unnamed service providers, apparently), which will in turn forward the message to you—probably with a little "P.S." asking you to stop. [Update: CNET has a copy of the RIAA's form letter to ISPs.]
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I really don't see the point, if there is a way, there's a will, a programer will make a program that works through Morpheus, Limewire, ect... imbedded, and free music will flow like wine once again, untrackable.

The internet should be free for us to pass information to one another, that is its purpose.

"If you don't stop, well ... your service provider probably won't sue you, but it might slow down your broadband connection, or cut off your service altogether."

What the hell... guys and gals beware, free music might mean no more ATS.

tech.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Every time they make technology to prevent software and music from being ripped off for free, technology to allow people to continue ripping off software and music is born at the same time.

Makes me wonder if the same person isn't inventing technology for both sides of the aisle and making a killing in the process.

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 01:47 AM
link   
lol, I've said it once, and I'll probably end up saying it many more times...

The Recording agencies are realizing their purpose has died.
With the digital age of music, what's the purpose of a recording agency?

Many quite famous bands are totally scrapping their deals with recording agencies, and going completely private. Many other bands are starting off by simply sending demo's to radio stations, and posting their music on-line for free.

The original purpose of the recording agency was to etch vinyl records. That's it.
The managers were originally separate from the recording agencies.

(There are still many managers who remain independent of the recording agencies.)

From those humble beginnings, eventually technology evolved. 8-Tracks, Cassettes, and then CD's were invented.
Each having a stage at which the only people who could get that music onto the disc or cassette were the recording agencies. These proprietary stages were each overcome of course by companies outside of the recording agency, but that's another story.
The whole intention behind CD's was that the individual can't record on it, and exclusive recording capabilities were retained by the agency.
... then companies figured out how to burn CD's. (Around the same time people learned how to get their music over the internet.)

Nowadays, almost every band and composer I know of is producing their music firstly ON THE NET. And they're still getting attention from the public and making money from their tours and shows.
This is REALLY ticking off the recording agencies. What purpose do they have if they aren't needed by you?

So they've come up with a new purpose. One completely separate from the artists altogether.
They've decided the only way to remain useful, is to launch lawsuits in the name of the artists. Artists who haven't requested any assistance, and often artists that aren't even part of the recording agency.
Do the artists get the money?
Pffffft. No of course not, the agency gets the money.

The sole purpose of recording agencies is and has always been to steal as much as they can from the artist for his hard work.

They're going extinct.
Just wait it out, and happy sharing to everyone in the meantime.

Remember, the more people who share, the less likely it is you will individually get caught.
(It's a ratio thing, if you don't understand... well... go back to vinyl.)

[edit on 20-12-2008 by johnsky]

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 02:35 AM
link   
they can keep their crappy music for all I care. It's all propaganda anyway.
Maybe not a one liner, but hey, who am I to judge?

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Wow, now people will have to worry about hackers/leechers high jacking their wireless Internet, and downloading files through someone else's ISP, and getting innocent people's connection shut off.

I know 100's of houses I can pull up next to in my truck and download stuff with their wireless access point, and my lap top. :x

It's totally legal, as they don't have any passwords set up!

What really sucks is, if I bought a CD from an artist I could freely give that CD to anyone I want. I should be able to do that with electronic data too, its not my fault they can't control something that isn't physical.

[edit on 20-12-2008 by ALLis0NE]

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 03:30 AM
link   
All it does is open up the floodgates to stealing and hacking even more, even with bands seperating from major lables and recording companies, they are even more vulnerable than before.

Its just a matter of time before it all comes back around and bites every freeloader music downloader's butt as it will the artists who believe their matrial will not be stolen and their revenues wont decrease.

Doesnt matter to me, I get all my material for free via promotional distribution directly from TMJones so I dont need to worry about any of this ongoing nonsense. And since I pay fees to ASCAP/BMI and SESAC, my radio stations, both online and 91.9 are fully licensed to play this stuff and use it as I see fit. Its nice to know that my complete music library, consisting of over 7,000 discs, is all perfectly legal.

Have fun going in circles with all this!

Cheers!!!!

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 03:42 AM
link   
I get all my music for free from the RADIO. Nobody ever said it was illegal to record music from your radio....

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 03:42 AM
link   
Crap double post....

--add

Also, there are 1000's underground online radios you can tune into through winamp/shoutcast, and they host pretty good quality songs straight to your computer, ready for a recording device to pick it up.

No law states you can't do THAT.

[edit on 20-12-2008 by ALLis0NE]

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Its not that hard for someone to record decent music at home. A quality microphone and a 200-300$ sound card and you sound just as good as in the studio.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 02:16 AM
link   
I agree with you guys 100%, the more they try, the better we get at downloading free music

Good luck to all those artist that forgot what expression of music was for.

Fox

new topics

top topics

join