It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Am I getting dumber?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I don't know what is happening to me. I like to think of myself as an intelligent person. In high school I was a straight A student and graduated with honors. I was always one of the brightest in my class. Now as an adult I feel like the lights are dimming and I just can't think clearly anymore.

I used to love to write; poetry, stories and the like. Now every time I get a little inspiration to write it's like I can't get passed this mental block and I can't make sense of what I'm trying to say. I used to be a master speller. In fact I won several spelling bees as a youth. But now I forget how to spell every day words like beginning or intelligent. I mean, just look at my name, I misspelled diamonds (I know I am going to regret pointing that out).

There are other things too, I am forgetful, absent minded and I can't stay focused. Just all around foggy and it's really starting to concern me. I am only 25 and I feel like an old woman. I wonder if any of you have experienced this and how you've dealt with it. Maybe its my diet, or maybe I need to meditate, or possibly a vitamin supplement;...any thing at all to help get my mind back. And also what do you think could be causing this? Please don't make fun. I am reaching out for help on a really personal and embarrassing subject.

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 11:53 PM
link   
I have the same problem.

what you need is multi-vitamin pills. You also need fish oil pills.

salmon is also good if you eat that and would help you in this situation.

I never was a all A student but I was good in computers and electronics

I do get random memory loss for a slip of a second. Like one time I was in high school and I forgot what class I was in. I am not joking.

It boiled down to brain health. You need berries in your diet. Try to cut down on alot of sugary stuff including energy drinks.

hope that helps. Study's show that salmon has some type of oil that our brain needs in order to function healthy else we start losing our memory.

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by INTHESKYWITHDAIMONDS

I would advise you to see a neurologist. Asking someone to diagnose you over the web isn't really a good idea. Go see a professional on the subject and let him/her do their job.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 12:00 AM
link   
I am not asking for a diagnosis. I know what's happening. I just want to figure out why, if it is common and what I can't do to think more clearly.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 12:08 AM
link   
do you watch television?
drink flouridated tap water?
go to school?
read the newspaper?
consume aspartame?
phenylalanine?
eat GMO foods?

you, along with 95% of the population, probably are getting dumber....

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 12:09 AM
link   
I too have this same problem. It's scary. I feel like I'm no longer in control. I used to do artwork all of the time. But now, I lack the motivation to even try half the time. I get a "Block" whenever I try. Same with writing. I used to write alot. Same thing, I get a "Block".
I try to learn new things, by following tutorials and reading when I can, but then I lose interest or get a "block" and I forget how to do everything I just tried to learn. I take multi-vitamins and I do eat fish more than most. I will try the salmon thing. I eat alot of things with Omega-3 fatty acids too as I heard that was what is in Salmon.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Zeus187

I don't watch television. I am aware that it quite literally eats your brain.
I don't drink tap water though I'm not sure anymore if bottled water contains flouride or not. I avoid aspartame but as with flouride I'm not sure if Im consuming it or not. I try to read as much as I can. As for the other things you said....never heard of them.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Oreyeon

Okay so it's not just me. I want to know how to stop this. It's very upsetting to try to learn something new but not be able to retain the information. It's driving me crazy!

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Actually you very much are asking for a diagnosis. You state symptoms, and ask here, of others, what the cause might be... what do you think diagnosis is?

Inability to focus, and a general fogginess of the mind or thought... could be nothing much... or could be symptoms of something more serious. I can't tell you which it is.... and neither can anyone else reading your post.

If you want answers you'll see someone trained in the field... if you want unfounded speculation... keep asking on internet forums. In the end its your health and your choice.

Good luck with your head.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 01:07 AM
link   
I feel for your situation, I really do, as I'm experiencing the same symptoms. A problem with concetrating, recall, losing words normally used in my vocabulary although I'm an avid reader.

I'm a writer, also, and have been for years. For the past twelve months or so, I have started roughly twenty projects I can't seem to finish because my mind bounces unconrollably from one topic to another.

I wish I could help you, Diamonds, but the cause could be one in a hundred different factors ( high frequency particle beams, cell phones, microwaves, all the usual suspects), and until you know pretty much precisely what it is, you'll doubtfully uncover a cause, or remedy.

Have your doctor do a complete workup on you, your sugars, blood pressure, neurology, etc, just to rule out immediate medical concerns.
Meditation and vitamins might help, and/ or trying something new in your diet, or eliminating something ( caffeine or meat) for at least a week to see if it helps. Do your best to get enough sleep most nights.

Either way, I wish you well, and a small comfort it is to know you're not alone. There are plenty of us like you dealing with the same issues. Lately it seems people who enjoy THINKING and FREE NON-CONFORMIST thoughts are having a hard time.

As strange as it sounds, I've gone to sleep with important questions in my mind, and have awakened with the answers. It's even worked for me on occasons while laying down to rest and staying in limbo- between awake and asleep ( another form of meditating) Desperate measures, but you'll have to work on singling out the problem before finding a definate solution.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 01:08 AM
link   

If you are like the rest of us, As we age our minds tend to start to be preoccupied with daily tasks such as work, bills, food shopping in other words doing more and more things we dislike and less of the things that made us feel good and would occupy hours of our time.

So when we try and enjoy the things we used to love doing we are still thinking of tasks that need our attention.
Nothing wrong with you welcome to adulthood.

[edit on 19-12-2008 by SLAYER69]

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 01:29 AM
link   
I feel the same way but only since returning to the states.
I was in england for ten years and was very creative during that time.
I think they have increased the fluoride in the states.
Plus the tube may be more dangerous.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 02:00 AM
link   
OP, I understand what you're going through. This process of dumbing down is the results of all of society going against you. In a capitalist society like this one individual creativity really isn't valued. What is valued is the creativity of the collective organization or business as a whole. They don't care what you think. So in a sense the process you're going through is the same that other people go through when they get dumbed down themselves. I do a few things to keep myself from getting dumbed down. I like to read a lot of books. I also try to maintain a critical eye of what's going around me. I rest a lot when I get tired. A lot of times when I am not able to think that well it's because of lack of sleep. Honestly though, this is a result of the capitalist ideology-- the people in society care more about exploiting your work rather than your individual achievements as a whole. They don't care about what you can do.

They want to know about what you can do for the companies around here and because of that they dumb you down to think a certain way... I'm not blaming the principles of the free market... but this has so often been the case where our capitalist society has not trained workers well enough in the past... that I think that it has created certain mindsets like this one like the one you're in and kept that in people through manipulation by billboards, advertisements in media, and through television and all other aspects of life including the entertainment and other media. The best way to combat this problem in my experience is just to be aware of it.

I hope that advice helps.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

Some people have a natural creative bent and it can be destroyed.
It is chemical.
Look it up.
Aspartame.
Fluoride.
MSG.
Ritalin.
Chlorine.
Barium.
Alluminum.......

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 02:14 AM
link   

You have stopped working out your brain. Try reading a science book, English Book, Social Studies Book, similar reads as you would be forced to do in school. You may find these subjects are more interesting now that they are not being forced upon you.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Oreyeon
I too have this same problem. It's scary. I feel like I'm no longer in control. I used to do artwork all of the time. But now, I lack the motivation to even try half the time. I get a "Block" whenever I try. Same with writing. I used to write alot. Same thing, I get a "Block".
I try to learn new things, by following tutorials and reading when I can, but then I lose interest or get a "block" and I forget how to do everything I just tried to learn. I take multi-vitamins and I do eat fish more than most. I will try the salmon thing. I eat alot of things with Omega-3 fatty acids too as I heard that was what is in Salmon.

That sounds like what's started happening to me. The way I deal with it is I really really focus as hard as I can lol. I feel like I have very low attention span. It's hard to stay focused on one subject.

Do you think we have Attention Deficit Disorder maybe?

[edit on 19-12-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 04:12 AM
link   

I would say the answer is simple. You're older, and your mind has more to keep track of than in those youthful days when spelling and grammar were truly important in your life.
I've been experiencing the very same thing, but rather than attribute it to mental decline, I've realized its more a matter of mental clutter. A previous post suggested vitamins; I've tried that as well, but believe me when I say that vitamins can only delay the problem. If, in fact, I'm correct; you are, after all, seeking advice from within a conspiracy site. I may be some nutcase with a high IQ attempting to drive you all mad.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 04:15 AM
link   
Exercise your brain for a few minutes a day, even Sudoku helps, really.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Another thing that helps you with mental exercises is reading out loud. It may sound dumb but it actually stimulates different parts of your brain that don't get stimulated when you read in silence.

posted on Dec, 19 2008 @ 04:21 AM
link   
[snip]....the brain is useless..i like to say the mind is a terrible thing to use.... the reason you will never experience life is because you use your brain.... your brain lives in the past and the future...never in the moment...it protects itself against its ending...it needs continuance...all the brain does is record like a giant tape recorder...always processing information....thats why when you look at a table say...you see a table because you cannot see anything that you have no knowledge of....so you can never experience what the table really is... forget the whole process..dont use your brain...its useless....

The Discussion Of "Illegal Activity" On The Above Network Sites

[edit on 19-12-2008 by 12m8keall2c]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join