It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Bag do you choose for your BOB

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Hi Guys.

There are many types of Bags / rucksacks out there.
When making a new BOB, what type of bag do you go for ? ie military style bergan, Alice Bag, a bag with a frame and external pockets etc.

What have you guys got and how have you or how can they be improved.
Are the web tex bags any good or do you go to the local surplus shop or maybe into a camping shop.

What litre size do you at buying ????

Again what have you got.

Thanks for your replies and advice.

Colec156

[edit on 18-12-2008 by colec156]

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by colec156

www.chromebags.com... These are great.You can put alot of crap in it.

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I use this:

countycomm.com...

The XL version for $39 is perfect for my needs....

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Thanks very much for the links guys.

UK guys / girls, what bags and sizes are you using for your BOBs ????

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by colec156

I've got a few different rucksacks ranging from 50-70L. All would be pretty good as BOB's because they can carry quite a bit of gear, some things I look for in a bag are, a rainproof cover, breathable mesh on the back and straps and a hip strap. There not essentials but it makes carrying the bag a lot more comfortable.

www.outdoorgear.co.uk...

www.gocaravanning.com...

My current BOB is a tactical bag and I think it's the absolute daddy, its a Maxpedition Vulture II Bag, very light, very tough and I can pack all my gear away safely, I've got a few extra pouches ordered for it which will give me even more space, its a bit pricey but you get what you pay for really.

www.heinnie.com...

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by fred3110

Hi Fred, top man.
Those links were top draw mate, I was looking for a pack with a rigid frame and was maybe looking at going down the army surplus root.

I would like to buy from the net but would also like to say try before I buy.

But again many thanks for the links

colec

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I don't really have a BOB, I have a get home bag. I intend to shelter in place should something happen. Since I'm not bugging out, I can get away with a slightly smaller bag. I have a large Camelbak bag that I use, I think it's a Mule, but not sure of the model. I keep the empty bladder in it so I can use that as needed.

For my location, a military looking bag would draw unwanted attention in a SHTF situation. I don't want to look like I prepared for problems. It could make me a target.

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 12:50 PM
link   
WHAT does this have to do with ATS????
Enlighten me... what the **** is a BOB?

[edit on 18-12-2008 by Muundoggie]

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Damn thats 1 of the key points I missed! A frame makes carrying a heavy load soooo much easier dont get a rucksack unless it has one.

Unless you know what you're looking for on the net I'd say go to a shop for a bag, that way you can try them on and see what other features they have, the only downside to that is the limited choice you have.

I didnt do that for the Maxpedition though that was bought online, I did some serious researching before making the purchase so I knew exactly what I was getting.

My advice is to do some research, work out exactly what you want in your BOB then buy a bag to acommodate it all, that way you dont end up with a bag thats either to small or impracticle (guilty of that
).

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Muundoggie

This is the SURVIVAL forum, and a "bug out bag(bob)" is for surviving while you get the heck out of Dodge!

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by fritzM

very good reply.
I too have a work bag which carries some essentials to get me home, weather problems etc. I also carry a small bag in my car.

I will also bug in, but also feel that if I have to leave, I'm not going to leave it to chance so I want to be prepared on all fronts if I can.

I would look to buy a plan canvas green bob rather than a camo one.

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 12:57 PM
link   
I should really / ideally use a rucksack, I do on occasion use a small 30 litre ruck when carrying and expanded EDC for a journey, but normally I tend to use large multi pocket tote bags of the type firearms officers use to carry their daily kit in. its not my intent to bug out anywhere on foot if at all possible so my bags are chosen for capacity and operational use, they are meant to be grabbed and thrown into my vehicle, extra supplies are already in the vehicles and I have caches along the way.

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by NoPhobos

Thanks.
I just wish people would speak in plain english.

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Enlighten me... what the **** is a BOB?

Survivalists tend to be classed as an underground movement wary of governmental interference, so ATS is an ideal place for survival debate.

Enlightenment comes from learning and reading, try reading many of the threads on this survival forum and you will get the enlightenment you seek.
A BOB is a Bug Out Bag, a self contained portable container containing all the tools, weapons, food, supplies etc you need to survive during a specified disaster.

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Northern Raider

I like you Northern Raider live in the UK, depending on the type of sitx, moving on foot maybe the only answer.
I have supplies ready and have given myself a half hour time limit on getting out and going.
Thanks for explaining a few things on these boards mate.

colec

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Why not just say survival kit or bag? In the US I have never heard of a BOB.
When I first got here there was no indication that this was a Survival Forum.

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Why not just say survival kit or bag? In the US I have never heard of a BOB .

Bug out Bag was first used to describe a portable supply of survival Equipment back in the late seventies by Mr Mel Tappan an American writer who used to write for Guns And ammo, though some folks atteribute it to Mr Ragnar Benson yet another American writer.GOOD bag, BOBS, BOVS, EDCS etc are all common use terminology mainly used on American survivalist forums such as Rocky Mountain SG, MSM, RS & SH, MS news groups, EDC forums, Zombie Squad forums, Survivalblog.com etc etc.

Even the NY Times did an article after 911 explaining the various BOB concepts and its terminology.
Respects NR

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Northern Raider

Why not just say survival kit or bag? In the US I have never heard of a BOB .

Bug out Bag was first used to describe a portable supply of survival Equipment back in the late seventies by Mr Mel Tappan an American writer who used to write for Guns And ammo, though some folks atteribute it to Mr Ragnar Benson yet another American writer.GOOD bag, BOBS, BOVS, EDCS etc are all common use terminology mainly used on American survivalist forums such as Rocky Mountain SG, MSM, RS & SH, MS news groups, EDC forums, Zombie Squad forums, Survivalblog.com etc etc.

Even the NY Times did an article after 911 explaining the various BOB concepts and its terminology.As has the ARC.

Erm to get to this part of the ATS Forum you have to click on the category header SURVIVAL, thats the give away about what we like to chat about

Respects NR

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   

» Survival » What Bag do you choose for your BOB » Post Reply

posted on Dec, 18 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Why not just say survival kit or bag? In the US I have never heard of a BOB.

» Survival » What Bag do you choose for your BOB

B.O.B...is a very common term in the survival minded community...

Now that everyone understands we should try to remain on topic.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join