It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teacher tells 7 year-olds Santa's Fake.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   
What ? Santa is not real ? I need a doughnut.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Benarius

No... He is!
Just not in that particular county.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by grimreaper797
reply to post by badgerprints

I said "a little" different, not completely different or right. At least with the giving requirement, it would teach them to do good, even if it is selfish in reason.

"not completely different or RIGHT.
"teach them to do good even if it is selfish in reason"
"giving REQUIREMENT"??????????
Did you read that before you hit post?

You condemn voluntary giving and then try to justify forcing kids "to do good for selfish reasons"?
You would FORCE them to give, to teach the meaning of GIVING????

OK
GREAT!
BEAUTIFUL!
You win buddy.
I'm convinced.
Your logic has me in a hammerlock of nausea.
I'm tapping out.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 05:25 PM
link   
I think the real problem is the taking of parents out of the equation in making decisions about their own children. How long before the State just takes our kids away, trains them to be good little slaves and then taxes us to pay for it? Not long I'm afraid.

If the secularists groups think they are immune, I'm sure they have something in store for you as well. Start practicing the old Goose Step, you will need it. When they remove all parental rights, yours will be gone also. What goes around comes around.

Soon your children will be writing reports on your activities as a class assignment instead of book reports. Clear off some shelves for the mandatory in home surveillance cameras. Learn how to grovel at their feet and kiss their boots. Certain things are expected of slaves.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Originally posted by Jkd Up
The parents are upset at the teacher... For tellign them the TRUTH.

That was my first thought. How bizarre! While I think it should be up to the parents to tell their kids the truth, if they choose to lie to them, it's not the teacher's place to go against that.

I agree totally
IF the teacher was planning to tell the kids THE TRUTH he should have informed the parents first that he was going to do / say that Santa does not really exsist.

Then again .... when do you tell your kids? I think I told me daughter at age 6 or 7 that Santa Claus (St. Nicolaas) didn't exist but that his rememberance lives on...

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I personally think the Teacher needs to mind her own business, and do what she was HIRED to do..

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by badgerprints
Did you read that before you hit post?

I did, did you? It states "It is slightly different, I did not say completely different, or right. AT LEAST with the giving requirement to receiving, it would teach them to do SOMETHING good in order to receive, EVEN IF, it is for selfish reasons."

Now lets revert to the initial statement, I DID NOT SAY IT WAS COMPLETELY DIFFERENT OR RIGHT. read that part carefully, word by word. I did not say it was right, to teach kids to do something good for selfish reasons, but it is better than what you are teaching them now. To not do anything, and still get the same reward.

You condemn voluntary giving and then try to justify forcing kids "to do good for selfish reasons"?
You would FORCE them to give, to teach the meaning of GIVING????

7 year olds being given toys don't learn the value of giving, they learn the value of entitlement and self importance. Sorry if you missed that memo, but thats the reality of it. They are 7, they aren't philosophers. You want to teach them a moral lesson, tell them straight out.

Do you have any grasp of psychology? Kids don't even have a real sense of right and wrong till these later years when they begin to realize santa doesn't exist. Kids that are young don't respond to morality. They respond to behaviorism.

You couldn't even comprehend my simple statement above, I don't know why I would bother to tell you about how child psychology will dramatically impact the way they grow up and who they become in the future.

[edit on 11-12-2008 by grimreaper797]

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by grimreaper797

Boy reaper, I sure can see where your heart is this time of the year, makes me wonder if you even have one. I can see it now.....lets all load our guns so we can go hunt those reindeer down and have them for tonights supper. Christmas......bah humbug. So because our ecomomy is in the tank, means we all have to throw the Christmas spirit away then, oh...ok. You know, I feel sorry for people who feel like that. May as well make everyone else feel down, right? What a life you must have.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by FiatLux

OH right, I don't believe in teaching young kids entitlement, I must be a cold heart S.O.B. So what I give money to FEED people who can't afford food. So what I spend my holidays giving to people who really NEED to be given something.

Sorry I'm so cold hearted that I don't spoil kids who aren't going to learn the intended lesson you tried to teach them...

Your little kid is sleeping in his warm bed, with a full stomach, resting up for an excellent education tomorrow, but lets go buy him a 360 and a bunch of video games for it. Forget about the starving people that 400+ dollars could feed, thats not what christmas is about.

People like you are exactly why I look at christmas negatively.

admin edit to remove "snipe".

[edit on 12-12-2008 by Springer]

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 05:44 PM
link   
After reading this story, I can not help but evoke a certain image, concerning a mob of religious folk and one disgruntled other.

[edit on 11-12-2008 by cognoscente]

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Melyanna Tengwesta

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic

Originally posted by Jkd Up
The parents are upset at the teacher... For tellign them the TRUTH.

That was my first thought. How bizarre! While I think it should be up to the parents to tell their kids the truth, if they choose to lie to them, it's not the teacher's place to go against that.

I agree totally
IF the teacher was planning to tell the kids THE TRUTH he should have informed the parents first that he was going to do / say that Santa does not really exsist.

Then again .... when do you tell your kids? I think I told me daughter at age 6 or 7 that Santa Claus (St. Nicolaas) didn't exist but that his rememberance lives on...

You bring up a great point here. When do you tell them. Just let the real world tear their illusion to shreds and let the kid think how bad you might (or might not be) for telling the falsehood.

How does a child see that. I'd love to hear one of the kids who believed in Santa interviewed. The insight would be priceless!

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by cognoscente
After reading this story, I can not help but evoke a certain image, concerning a mob of religious folk and one disgruntled other.

I can't stop laughing after reading this post!

This is not a one liner. A one liner would be: I have a dog, it's an East German Sheppard.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by k-string

If a child can retain their childhood past 10 years of age I think that's a wonderful achievement in this day and age. Kids are wonderful at figuring out these things by themselves, there is no need to "break it to them"

I say at least let kids be kids while they're capable, life gets harsh pretty soon for them.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Jkd Up

Thanks for the comment.
That said, I actually disagree with you. Here is my actual response.

It might have been better had the teacher attempted to encourage some type of intellectual debate, instead of blowing up in her student's faces and denying Santa's existence outright. What does that accomplish except diminish the students' self esteem? And the extent of that discussion would not have had to be limited to the very physical existence of Santa. Exploring the meaning of Santa, of gift giving, perhaps even the history of the myth (if you want to go that far), might have been more prudent. But it doesn't really matter anyway. By the time they hit fourth grade, they will all have solved the mystery of Santa Claus, by the very nature of their inquisitiveness (that is if they have been properly familiarized with the scientific method in class). We should encourage discussion and inquiry, not the abject mockery of some of our best traditions. It may in fact be plausible to assume that the way children are exposed and deal with the issue of Santa could have further implications regarding the way they deal with issues of religion, spirituality, and politics once they mature. This is an important time in their lives. Why ruin it without at least providing some type of framework for future thought? This is not the place to probe our children and expose their beliefs, but to build them up.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Personally I would be upset at this! Christmas is a magical time for kids believing in santa! Especially when you see all the bad things on the news everyday! Its nice to have something nice going on elsewhere. Even if it is just imagination. And it doesnt do much for the bond between kid and parent when they turn round and say 'my teacher said santa isnt real.' What do you say to that!? 'Ah yes I lied to you... Sorry!' They'll never believe a thing you say again!

[edit on 11-12-2008 by Lee_K]

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Double Post! Dunno how that happened! Sorry!

[edit on 11-12-2008 by Lee_K]

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   
response to grimreaper797

Do you have any grasp of psychology? Kids don't even have a real sense of right and wrong till these later years when they begin to realize santa doesn't exist. Kids that are young don't respond to morality. They respond to behaviorism.

You couldn't even comprehend my simple statement above, I don't know why I would bother to tell you about how child psychology will dramatically impact the way they grow up and who they become in the future.

I've got a great grasp of one thing. I know that behavioralists and psychologists spend a lot of time putting their problems on others.

My daughter knew right from wrong at a very young age.
She knew that Santa wasn't real at a very young age.
I never had to force her to be kind or giving. She is a very sweet girl who is kind to people because she wants to be.
She understood right and wrong very early in life.
She's not a behavioral subject or a psychology study and neither are those kids.

As far as comprehending your earlier statement, I understood it far too well. You think kids can't understand what an act of kindness means.
If you spend all of your time treating children as if they were soulless little animals who need to be behaviorally programmed then that is what you will train them to be.
You don't seem to give these kids enough credit. Most of them are pretty well off until the manipulative know it alls convince them that they are just animals who wear clothes.

Merry Christmas

[edit on 11-12-2008 by badgerprints]

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by grimreaper797

Well good for you reaper, I give food and money also. And to think, I was told that there was a Santa Claus, and it never made me spoiled, and I keep it in my heart. As far as spoiling kids with Christmas, I don`t see it as spoiling them, these kids go and buy gifts for others just as the parents do. My kids always did. They would do odd jobs to make enough so they could go buy gifts for everyone else.

[edit on 11-12-2008 by FiatLux]

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 06:10 PM
link   
All I wanted for Christmas was tough love.

CX

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 06:11 PM
link   
I'd have been hacked off if this was my kids.

Who has the right to tell kids that age, or of any age what they can and can't believe in, or try to persuade them otherwise?

I have a real issue with this kind of thing, as my little girl came home in tears one day after the teacher said there was no such thing as fairies. She was six. When my little one said that there was fairies, the teacher asked if she'd ever seen one?

I told my little one..."You should have asked your teacher if she'd ever seen Jesus!" As i pointed out at the following parents evening, my kids go to a C of E school where they are brought up around the story of The Bible. A belief.....simple as that.

Really does my head in when teachers do this, and to the people here that are saying whats wrong with telling the kids the truth......i feel so sorry for your kids that will grow up not having had the fun of the magical things in the world. Sad.

CX.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join