It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA has become a transition problem for Obama

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 09:52 AM
link   

NASA has become a transition problem for Obama

blogs.orlandosentinel.com

CAPE CANAVERAL – NASA administrator Mike Griffin is not cooperating with President-elect Barack Obama’s transition team, is obstructing its efforts to get information and has told its leader that she is “not qualified” to judge his rocket program, the Orlando Sentinel has learned.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.salon.com

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Seems there is a roadblock and lack of trust between existing management and the Obama team.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out after the inauguration.

When you read the article you can see some insight into the current management style at Nasa.

Any takers on a over under for Mike Griffin? I say 3 months...

I am interested in your views of the transition.

blogs.orlandosentinel.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Its too early to tell, but it very well could be the shake down that has been long overdue in NASA.

We will just have to wait and see.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Obama isn't 'NASA friendly'.

A few months back he said he would cut NASA spending for 'just five years' so that he could have enough $$ for his education plans.

that was so dumb. You can't cut the programs for 'just five years' and then start them up again like nothing happened. We have international contracts etc etc

Obama and NASA don't mix. Just like Al Gore and NASA didn't mix.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
A few months back he said he would cut NASA spending for 'just five years' so that he could have enough $$ for his education plans.
that was so dumb. You can't cut the programs for 'just five years' and then start them up again like nothing happened. We have international contracts etc etc

Maybe he wasn’t speaking about programs that involved International contracts, have you thought about that possibility?

Obama and NASA don't mix. Just like Al Gore and NASA didn't mix.

Maybe because NASA is a money blackhole, where it disappears and many times there’s no real results that come out of it?

Having said that, I love space exploration and everything involved with it just like the next guy, but let’s get real, there are tons of programs and projects in NASA that have no results to show for. Just as there are projects in DOD, and I’m sure in many other agencies, whose purpose seems to be to give money away to contractors more than actually getting results.

And I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but we have a huge debt crisis on our hands, maybe taking a close look at NASA’s programs and budget is something that we actually need to do.

I’m not saying to cut their budget just because, but I’m sure there are alot of programs and projects that we don’t need now, or even altogether in the future.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Or maybe it's because NASA is a sham of an organization which is a military-complex conduit for money laundering and cronie contracting.

NASA needs to be surgically excised from the control of the corporate machine. With any luck, President Obama may tame this particular shrew.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Well I guess we all know who will be the first to be fired come Jan. 21, 2009. Mike Griffin should have been fired a long time ago.He has turned NASA into a joke in my opinion. The way this guy handles the programs are like watching a monkey "you know" what to a football.

[edit on 12/11/2008 by CaptGizmo]

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   
With these revelations, one wonders how the National Reconnaissance Office will fit in with Mr. B.H. Obama.

Accordingly, the USAF is the Portal for NRO, however, it is not one to be "pushed across the playing board." If there are any "black or grey connections" with NASA it could prove to be an absolute stone wall for the new administration.

Interesting post. Worthy of a good watch.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 12:18 PM
link   
NASA's problem is that they like to throw away everything and start over. It happened when they switched to the Shuttle program. They dumped ALL of the Apollo hardware that was already paid for and capable of sending people to the moon, in favor of a winged (read "dead weight") earth-orbit research platform. Now they want to do it again - dump all of the shuttle hardware for their "Aries" crap. i suggest going to "www.directlauncher.com" for a better alternative that even Obama might like.

As for NASA's budget - it is laughably small and it is overreaching to suggest its budget is to blame for poor education and schools falling apart, as well as poverty. Let's stop fighting stupid wars in stupid countries then reassess how we should fund our ONLY space program that has put men on the moon.

Has it ever occurred to anyone that maybe NASA hasn't been doing so well because it doesn't have ENOUGH money to do the job right? We've all seen people do dumb things because they don't have enough money to do it right. Same thing here.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 12:22 PM
link   
BTW - I think Griffin should go. He needs the boot BIGTIME. Anyone in-the-know has heard of the "ESAS" study that gave birth to the Ares system. The truth is that the study was flawed and biased towards Griffin & Scott Horowitz's babies the "Aries-V" and "Stick" Aries-1. Getting rid of Griffin would be a plus. Who would replace him is another matter though.
Hopefully someone with vision beyond their next comfy assignment..

[edit on 11-12-2008 by ACEMANN]

[edit on 11-12-2008 by ACEMANN]

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Perhaps NASA could load the entire team onto a Saturn V and launch them into deep space.

It's the only way they can learn the value of re-entry systems.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   
A bit off topic, could someone tell me if Nasa or USAf has commercial jet "type" aircraft(s). The bottom of the jet is painted blue looks like what is the nasa logo
is on the tail.

new topics

top topics

join