It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japanese Brewery Produces Space Beer… But What's the Point?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 06:40 PM
link   

For the first time, beer brewed totally from barley grown in space can be enjoyed on terra firma. The Japanese-owned Sapporo Brewery is one of the oldest beer producers in the nation, so it seems fitting that the company would want to diversify into the next frontier.

source

I thought astronauts were supposed to be sober?
I guess I was wrong after all...

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   
A silly gimmick, huh?

I'd be more interested in space hops--as an ex-beer drinker, hops character was much more interesting to me than the malty aspects.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I know man...
would you trust a drunk astronaut in getting you back to earth??

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 07:11 PM
link   
The book "The Right Stuff" paints drinking (and driving) as a significant part of astronaut culture. Hopefully times have changed!

Actually, after reading one of Richard Feynman's books (or was it a book about him...I forget), I learned that the only flying back to earth that the shuttle's pilots do is push the landing-gear-down button...the onboard computers do the hard work.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by SuperSlovak

I don't think Astronauts are the target demographic. from your source:

For the first time, beer brewed totally from barley grown in space can be enjoyed on terra firma.

Terra firma obviously meaning earth.

Not the first time that the Japanese do something gimmicky like this and I doubt it will be the last. Strange bunch of folks, those Japanese...

[edit on 10/12/08 by stumason]

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Who can tell, but perhaps its the first step to "synthahol".

Sounds tho like its just a marketing ploy, a fad.

It would fit well however if there had been space tourisim and orbiting hotel/resorts. Then you could have space beer on the way up and come down even harder! That would be a hangover from "heaven" now woudnt it!!

Cheers!!!!

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Ok thats weird lol why would they call it space beer if it is to be enjoyed on earth? I thought Japanese people were smart.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by SuperSlovak

Oh, I thought you were kidding about astronauts drinking, Slovak.

Yeah, certainly this'd be for people to drink down here on the planet. And the percentage of space-grain used would be quite minor.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Well hang on a second here. What if the hops were grown in a space based biodome and brewed in orbit! Then even if it was shipped down and served on Earth, it would in fact be space beer!!

Cheers!!!!

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

Well, maybe so--but I'd like to encourage the space-brewers of the future to brew ales, not lagers, as there are enough more-of-the-same tasting lagers on this planet and what this world needs are more interesting, hoppy ales.

IMO.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 09:39 PM
link   
It would be cool if there were space based breweries to begin with, among other things. Perhaps a huge orbiting bar, now that would be nice!

Cheers!!!!

top topics

join