It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huge waves destroy hospital, homes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Huge waves destroy hospital, homes

www.news.com.au

HUGE waves caused by king tides have smashed into dozens of villages and towns in northern Papua New Guinea, destroying homes and flooding businesses and a hospital.
Authorities said there were no reports of casualties, but they were still trying to contact several outlying islands after the waves hit across an 800km stretch of ocean yesterday. Hundreds of people were left homeless

The waves struck PNG's north coast near the town of Wewak and islands to the northeast, such as New Ireland.

"Huge waves that lasted for about six hours lashed these areas and created pools as deep as two metres, sending sediment and debris flooding into homes and businesses," The National newspaper reported.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 08:15 PM
link   
That is very unusual. Huge waves caused by kind tides. Anybody knows if that region has been hit before with these types of waves. First time I hear of King Tides. Could this be caused by the whole global warming story or is there something else behind this whole story. I once read on a thread that some secret weapon was being built to cause such damage, could it be they are testing it?

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Good find. That is strange. I have heard of rogue waves, in fact when I was in California in the early 1980/s , a few people were killed by strange large waves.

This seems to be a little different though as it lasted for 6 hours and took out the hospital.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 08:46 PM
link   
As I understand it, this probably has to do with the "big moon" this month.

King tides
The term king tide has no scientific definition although in popular usage it refers to any high tide well above average height. The popular concept is that the king tides are the higher high waters which occur around Christmas time. Equally high tides occur in the winter months but these are at night and are not so apparent as those at Christmas which generally occur during the daylight hours.

www.msq.qld.gov.au...

The king tides occur because of the combined influence of a number of astronomical factors which are related to the sun and the moon (and their alignments), and the gravitational attraction they each have on the water surface of the earth.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 09:03 PM
link   
6 Hours is certainly a very long time for such huge waves to strike. If it was the moon causing this I think that we would have these waves in other parts of the world as well.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 09:11 PM
link   
There was a 4.4 quake in Fiji,

Could this be the reason?

Source...
earthquake.usgs.gov...

Update time = Wed Dec 10 3:01:21 UTC 2008

MAG UTC DATE-TIME
y/m/d h:m:s LAT
deg LON
deg DEPTH
km Region
MAP 2.8 2008/12/10 02:16:14 39.713 -120.194 0.7 NORTHERN CALIFORNIA
MAP 4.4 2008/12/10 01:51:27 -17.916 -178.684 572.9 FIJI REGION
MAP 3.6 2008/12/10 00:29:25 34.177 -117.368 3.2 GREATER LOS ANGELES AREA, CALIFORNIA
MAP 4.4 2008/12/10 00:28:25 35.977 -117.312 3.1 CENTRAL CALIFORNIA

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Or maybe this one...

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Earthquake Details
Magnitude 6.8
Date-Time

* Tuesday, December 09, 2008 at 06:23:59 UTC
* Tuesday, December 09, 2008 at 06:23:59 PM at epicenter
* Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 31.092°S, 176.965°W
Depth 13.6 km (8.5 miles) (poorly constrained)
Region KERMADEC ISLANDS REGION
Distances 190 km (115 miles) E of L'Esperance Rock, Kermadec Islands
220 km (140 miles) SSE of Raoul Island, Kermadec Islands
990 km (620 miles) NE of Auckland, New Zealand
1350 km (840 miles) NE of WELLINGTON, New Zealand
Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 6.1 km (3.8 miles); depth +/- 22.4 km (13.9 miles)
Parameters NST=277, Nph=277, Dmin=224.2 km, Rmss=0.93 sec, Gp= 22°,
M-type=regional moment magnitude (Mw), Version=8
Source

* USGS NEIC (WDCS-D)

Event ID us2008ajap

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by afaik

You are most probably right. these waves may have been caused by an earthquake. If this is right then there should have been a warning for Tsunami.

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Or maybe this

December 12 brings the last SuperMoon of the year. On paper at least, it looks like the most ominous of the bunch. It happens to be the Moon's closest perigee of the year, and occurs within just a couple hours of the month's peak lunar north declination. On top of that, Mars is within two degrees of exactly opposite this particular full moon, which happens to make a Grand Cross pattern when the Saturn-Uranus opposition is figured in. This looks like some pretty expensive storm, flood and/or seismic damage potential, to me. As always, there's no place on Earth beyond the reach of one or more such natural upheavals during any SuperMoon alignment. But astro-locality mapping does point out some zones that appear to be especially vulnerable. In this case there's a longitudinal risk sector from New York down through Hispaniola and on to Santiago in the New World, which emerges to cross from Siberia down through Mongolia and central China down through Indochina, Singapore and Indonesia. The especially ominous-looing horizon arc goes from Hawaii to British Columbia, across northern Canada and the southern tip of Greenland to cross the Atlantic and then swing through Iberia across the Mediterranean and diagonally from northwest to southeast Africa, and finally through New Zealand from one end to the other.

Hmmmm...

posted on Dec, 9 2008 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Fiji is to far away from PNG.
It is king tides not tsunami's.
It just means the tide is higher the sea level is higher.
So when the usual rough waves come they don't smash into the sea wall or reefs etc.
They go over it and hit land and islands.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 12:17 AM
link   
If it was caused by the moon, does that mean we that the same thing is going to happen in other parts of the world? inf yes... is there a warning system in place like tsunamis?

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 12:20 PM
link   
It was two locations I think

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 12:53 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 01:23 AM
link   
HARRP? or their new name, HUBBO? HABBO? something like that...

Sorry man but anything that happens like this has something to do, with whatever it is they're doing underground. Just wish I had more time to jump on a few places and find some links for ya. Just look into what the 'above' harrp people are doing now and I'm sure you'll get some insight into where I'm coming from.....

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 01:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by kingdogol
HARRP? or their new name, HUBBO? HABBO? something like that...

Sorry man but anything that happens like this has something to do, with whatever it is they're doing underground. Just wish I had more time to jump on a few places and find some links for ya. Just look into what the 'above' harrp people are doing now and I'm sure you'll get some insight into where I'm coming from.....

Wow. Heavy.
You mean before HAARP there were no earthquakes, hurricanes, high tides, etc.? Must have been nice back then.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 01:39 AM
link   
hisz.rsoe.hu...

The above link will show you where the waves are. Or the earthquakes that can/did cause them.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
You mean before HAARP there were no earthquakes, hurricanes, high tides, etc.? Must have been nice back then.

Yeah man I mean before HAARP there were no, what shall we call it, anomily waves that just happen to sweep right over a specific target. There were no 'remote controlled' tornados that just happen to destroy new orleans.

There wasn't another one the year following that subconsciously puts into everyones mind that 'icke' is bad, destroys things, when yet david 'icke' is another truth seeker. If you dismiss his work before at least watching a whole lecture or reading a whole book then you may call him a nutter, and hence the powers that be label him this way, without anyone even thinking about it that way. You seeing where I'm coming from yet?

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by kingdogol
Yeah man I mean before HAARP there were no, what shall we call it, anomily waves that just happen to sweep right over a specific target. There were no 'remote controlled' tornados that just happen to destroy new orleans.

There wasn't another one the year following that subconsciously puts into everyones mind that 'icke' is bad, destroys things, when yet david 'icke' is another truth seeker. If you dismiss his work before at least watching a whole lecture or reading a whole book then you may call him a nutter, and hence the powers that be label him this way, without anyone even thinking about it that way. You seeing where I'm coming from yet?

New Guinea is a specific target? Why?

New Orleans was hit by a hurricane, not a tornado. There is a difference.

Are you coming from an asteroid off the coast of Jupiter?

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
New Orleans was hit by a hurricane, not a tornado. There is a difference.

Are you coming from an asteroid off the coast of Jupiter?

No man just been up way too long.

In Australia we call them cyclones and I always get tornado and hurricane confused when I'm in this frame of mind.

In New Guinea, East Timor, do you remember the riots and how the poepl had their own peaceful way of living and the powers that be didn't want others using this example so they went in and F'd it up royaly. therfore maybe they're just trying to get rid of some more peaceful people. After I wake up, in a few hours I'll look into this more and maybe when I re-read this thread I'll wonder wtf I was on about, though there is always a purpose behind every natural or freak occurence. Therefore I see it being no different in this scenario. Hope these words/my way of thinking is coming across to you in some way or another.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by biomehanika
reply to post by afaik

You are most probably right. these waves may have been caused by an earthquake. If this is right then there should have been a warning for Tsunami.

4.4 magnitude quakes don't cause tsunamis. Only those intensity 8 more or less could trigger tsunamis so probably no warning was issued.

However, an underwater landslide or underwater mountain or hill collapsing could trigger tsunami.

top topics

join