It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cops Taser Drowned Dad's Distraught Son

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 05:38 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 05:57 PM
link   
RCW, Its great is it not that these cowards who are trained to save life sat back and did nothing, oh wait yes they did, they tasered better men who had the guts to see beyond fear to save the life of someone important. What an absolute disgrace they are and so are those who support them.

And I'm not American and if I had the misfortune to be one I would have left the country years ago.

And you can save the bleeding heart I fought for your freedom crap for the brain dead. Soldiers don't fight for freedom they fight for profit, power, ignorance and hatred, its a pity they don't have the cranial capacity to realise that because if they did their would be no wars in the first place.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   
You know I followed the link to the site and the video was not available so I have no way to judge the sea.

I would like to remind folks especially with small children to stay a safe distance away from the coastline. I live along the coast and I can tell this type of thing happens more often than you know! Did you see the one where a man's young bride was swept away just recently??

I will side with the cops but I have a huge problem with the taser. What is that about??? What if he had been killed by the tasing...

Also in terms of possible solutions perhaps some of you expert swimmers can answer a question. Would it help if coastal cops carried life vests and floats??
Would it be possible to swim in these waters wearing a life vest and carrying a float?

Sad story but as a father I can tell you I would be glad my young sons were alive.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 06:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by rcwj75
reply to post by magicmushroom

As I stated in my original post...people will come here and not see the reality of the situation...they instead will jump the gun and place blame in the wrong place. You obviously just want to bash instead of looking at the track record for brave rescues by the LEO's/FD's and Coast Guard in that area. These guys would have done EVERYTHING they could to save this man...but to kill yourself while trying helps NOONE!! Hense why the cops kept the sons from killing themselves....if you honestly cannot see why this happened the way it did...I am speechless....

Who would you be blaming if they DID let the 2 sons jump in to save the father and then all 3 died?????? would you blame the sons who took it upon themselves to tred such harsh conditions that not even TRAINED men could manuever? or still the cops/rescuer's fault?

They have no right to prevent a rescue of any sorts. It is our right and freedom as a citizen of the U.S.A. to risk our own lives to help others.
If those kids want to help their dying dad ( as most people would ) then they are allowed to.
You never know if you can save somebody until you try.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Although there has been severe corruption within the police force for quite some time (a lot longer than most of the people here seem to realize), in this particular situation I agree with the handling of the police officers in question and feel they probably saved two lives in not letting the sons attempt to save one. Odds are they would have surely failed.

Not a good example of the evil powers-that-be, but just a realistic look at the tough choices they have to make in order to save the lives of understandably emotional people against their will.

Tough choices not unlike triage on a battlefield.

- Lee

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Tasering was uncalled for imo. If the cops were afraid of being pulled over the cliff edge in an effort to restrain these men then they should have backed off and tried to reason with them either way it was out of the cops hands imo.

Do they taser people attempting suicide? I think they do I heard of a man standing on a ledge and cops tasered him.

Mopusvindictus had it right the two sons should have jumped in immediately. That window of opportunity was open for only so long they unfortunately wasted it with uncertainty and panic.

Johnsky made a good point a populated coastal area should have quick, easy access to rescue boats.

Sad situation either way but this tasering thing is getting out of hand. If LE wants to use their "toys" they must do so responsibly.

LE officers are paid and trained to make quick responsible decisions. Their actions will always be scrutinized, job hazard much like an MD. If you work with the public you will be judged by that public like it or not.

If the good LE officers feel they are being persecuted because of a "few bad apples" maybe it's time for them to take a closer look. I think it's getting to be more than a few. A truly good cop should take it as a personal challenge to make positive changes within the force weeding out these bad apples.

Maybe LE should clean up it's own back yard before tasering it's way into ours. Try using that thing on one of your own once in awhile when they get out of control maybe then public opinion would shift more in your favor.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 06:57 PM
link   
The clip from the OP is no longer showing the incident. Here is the video clip from this tragedy:

[edit on 5-12-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 07:01 PM
link   
So it's now the business of the police to protect us from ourselves? Assault 2 men as they try to be daring heroes, that's what we have cops for. I am a strong ocean swimmer and I can say that there are probably some rescue swimmers who could brave that choppy water. Ever seen a lifeguard on Hawaiis north shore? They do crazy stuff.

This makes me think, what if my girlfriend was being raped inside some building and I was barred from going in by a cop for some reason? I'd rather be dead than to know that I stood by and did nothing. I wonder if those 2 brothers felt the same way? Cops do not always know the best thing, they are not superhuman or omniscient.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I am wondering, while the cops were dealing with the two sons, is there anyone else on the scene there attempting to even throw down a rope, a lifevest, a float, or any other kind of life rescue device that most shore patrol personell always have on hand????

I dont see that happening at all.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Here is an article about this incident.

Ukiah Daily Journal

The scuffle occurred after the father had been in the ocean for over 30 minutes.

Here is a significant quote "
Once rescuers from the Mendocino Fire Department, the Mendocino County Sheriff's Department, the Coast Guard and Cal Fire arrived, it was clear that the only possible search and rescue operation would have to be done from the air and sea, not from shore, explained Kerr."

The 911 call went out at 1:45
The incident on film occurred at around 2:15

I think that it would have been foolish to try to swim out to look for someone in that surf. It's challenging to swim in a straight line even when you have good conditions. In the surf, it's really really hard.

My sympathies are with the family and the rescue personnel. Some of you cop haters on this site need to talk to rescue people and see how badly they take it when they don't succeed. It's hard on them also.

I don't approve of the taser in this situation.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 07:05 PM
link   
This was at a beach, right?

And where was a lifeguard tower/ life preservers/ SOMETHING that could have been thrown to him?

If I was the cop, I would have looked for something. A pole. a rope- Police cars are chock fulla stuff. I'd have LOOKED SOMEWHERE. There's stores. There's places to find nearly anything!
Tasering someone and NOT DOING SOMETHING is being a fascist pig.

Velcommen To Amerika. Now, hand over all your money, and get against the wall or we will taser and shoot you.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 07:15 PM
link   
You gotta be joking me.

That water was barely moving past the break. No sign of high wind/whitecaps.

Both the sons looked like strong guys and capable enough of deciding for themselves to risk it for their father.

Yet another case of cops making decisions based on their own lard ass capabilities.

Too fat to make chase-tase them
Too fat to restrain perps-tase them

In this case-too unfit to swim a couple of hundred yard,then they tase fit looking 18 years old.

Pathetic show,once again,of their own inadequacies.

Get fit for the job in question or quit.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 07:16 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 07:20 PM
link   
30 minutes eh? Sheesh by that time had passed everyone on that scene could have ordered a pizza and had a picnic!!!!

Yet the man was not rescued...even after 30 minutes. That man could have been saved.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

This was a horrible situation for all involved.I also think that the police use tasers unneccesarily.Why not have an investigation anytime a weapon ie gun or taser is used and the parties involved are suspended without pay until the investigation is complete?Maybe this would cut down or eliminate useless tasering of the public.Taking tasers away from law enforcement maybe should be considered!

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Thanks for the video DD. The water did appear to be calm enough for a rescue attempt. However it was not clear if the father was still visible???

If not, then 30 minutes after the fact...well sorry boys no reason to risk your lives. Your dad wouldn't want it. Take comfort in that thought. It was an accident nothing could be done. I mean if he fell from a cliff who is to say if he even survived the fall??? Sad story.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 08:11 PM
link   
If someone wants to risk their life to save another they should be allowed, not tased, even if it was likely that they too would perish. It's their lives, let them do what they want with them!

I'm tired of all this "big brother knows best" bull#. Maybe BB does know best but it doesn't matter. People are individuals and should be allowed to make their own mistakes, especially when they insist... and especially when they're trying to save someone they love.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kruel
If someone wants to risk their life to save another they should be allowed, not tased, even if it was likely that they too would perish. It's their lives, let them do what they want with them!

I'm tired of all this "big brother knows best" bull#. Maybe BB does know best but it doesn't matter. People are individuals and should be allowed to make their own mistakes, especially when they insist... and especially when they're trying to save someone they love.

Kruel are you a father? If yes would you want your children to die in a useless attempt to save your life?? Most parents would not want their children to risk their lives with even a 50/50 chance of survival. It was a terrible accident their father would want the best for his boys not death in a useless attempt to save him.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Striker122
Cops don't seem to be using their brains anymore. These cops could have found other ways to calm the two boys down. Don't police train for these types of situations?

Cops will start tasing anyone for anything it seems like.

I agree with Striker on this one.

Obviously the sons would be going nuts, watching their father die while it seems that nothing is being done to rescue him.

These boys needed to be calmed down and they needed to have the situation explained to them.

Their anger, confusion and aggression needed to be diffused and from the report it seemed like the police only inflamed the situation.

Getting aggressive with people in distress is a sure fire way of increasing the chances of violence.

I think this comes down to Police training, as Striker has said.

If any of these officers were trained in dealing with aggressive situations, then one can only imagine they would have used this training saving this guy from getting a Taser blast from an over aggressive cop.

Seeing as though the situation was not diffused, we can assume that this training has not been put in place.

Therefore this is not the fault of either the sons or the cops but the system.

These situations continue to happen because not enough is being done to prevent them.

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 08:46 PM
link   
The kids in this case should have been allowed to try to rescue their dad...they assumed the cops are here TO PROTECT AND SERVE...Most police are ex military killers who cant do anything else so why not become cops so they can continue killing people ...people try and rescue animals in worst situations all the time, this is ridiculous and the cops should of been thrown off the cliff by the sons. imho

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join