It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most Prophetic Sci-Fi Work, Which have come true?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
Ah but does he Dream of Electric Sheep?

Not sure, but he does seem to be on Substance D

[edit on 5-12-2008 by cavrac]

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by OldMedic

Thanks for everyone’s participation so far,

I guess it depends on your point of reference, For example if I were to read to someone "the Vedic literature of India, there are many descriptions of flying machines that are generally called Vimanas. India's national epic,"

That could be considered early sci-fi I just wonder if they knew that that’s what they were creating?

An engineer could find kinship with the flying vehicle abilities
An author could find kinship of a fanciful tale
A spiritual person could find kinship with a possible spiritual exploration
A ATSer May see little grey guys in ufo's or lost ancient civilizations

[edit on 5-12-2008 by SLAYER69]

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Its a great topic

well worth the star and flag.

Just on another note tho, i guess we can all see our future in some ways, we are our future? if that makes any sens..

we do have some connect with everything past present and future(s) do i know what that is? hmm

me? you? or the person that thought of it, i guess so

see sig for more info

posted on Dec, 5 2008 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by theresult
Its a great topic

well worth the star and flag.

It's hard not to think that some in our past saw what would someday be commonplace!

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I know he was mentioned in the OP but Arthur Clarke gets my vote hands down for "prophetic" applications of real science that had virtually immediate impact. Obviously his vision of synchronous telecommunication satellites was important but I believe he was also instrumental in offering the concept of a space elevator that we are hearing so much about lately. (Fountains of Paradise).
Ah, but then I went way back to my childhood and the Sunday comics. Remember Dick Tracy and his "wrist radio"? Cell phones and Blackberries anyone?

[edit on 6-12-2008 by zlots331]

posted on Dec, 6 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   
While Ray Kurzweil is not a fiction writer, he is a futurist and he has been on the mark with everything he has "prophesised".
The looming advancements in AI, solar power, fuel are enough to give me hope for a bright future.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Here is a good video Asimov
Telling it like it is!

But my favorite is Sir Clarke
Watch the whole video

[edit on 7-12-2008 by SLAYER69]

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Another thread brought this one to my attention more possible sci-Fi Prediction?

This one the form of a video game.

posted on Jan, 14 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by zlots331
I know he was mentioned in the OP but Arthur Clarke gets my vote hands down for "prophetic" applications of real science that had virtually immediate impact. Obviously his vision of synchronous telecommunication satellites was important but I believe he was also instrumental in offering the concept of a space elevator that we are hearing so much about lately.

Good point I'm sad that he is no longer with us.
would of loved to sit and just listen to his ideas of what might be coming down the pike.

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 06:42 PM
link   
OK here we go, Yet another one for Gen Roddenberry
Teleportation Is Real

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I often wonder if these sc-fi prophecies are 'self-fulfilling prophecies" in that the idea gives rise to the actuality. I think the Book of Revelations is such a case in describing a system whereby no one can buy or sell without the number of the beast......some would find that a very attractive proposition and work to bring it about

posted on Jan, 31 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by MyXlog

Good point a few posters have said that.
But...

What about all of Sci-Fi he post apocalyptic movies of he 60s and 70s they thank god have not come to pass.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Giving this thread a small bump.

Your thoughts?

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Cheers to your decorum.....simply the best way to respond to the angry old cuss. Sorry, I meant gentleman....my bad.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

My vote would be Philip K. Dick.

He was just such a visionary writer and had such a real and human style... he was literally a genius... troubled and damaged.... drug use, the works.

But man could he write a book and engage the reader.

I think many of these guys back in the 50's-70's could see exactly where things were heading and were well ahead of their time.

I love sci-fi books and your list is excellent.

Great thread My friend.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shadowflux
Ok, I'm actually mad that no one has mentioned Star Trek and Roddenberry's overall contribution to the future/present.

Do any of you have a comunic...i mean cell phone?

How about a trico.... i mean Iphone?

Or maybe a viewscr.... I mean flat panel tv/monitor?

Not to mention that a great many of today's scientists were directly influenced and inspired by Star Trek.

Great thread btw

I think Trek was visionary - not just from a technological perspective, but from a cultural evolutionary perspective. A Federation...no money...people all working together.

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by chillpill
I think Trek was visionary - not just from a technological perspective, but from a cultural evolutionary perspective. A Federation...no money...people all working together.

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!

Kind of reminds me of this...

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by ambushrocks
Excellent thread.

May I add George Orwell - Big Brother?

Specifically:

The use of television technology for propaganda. . And monitoring.

Helicopters.

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup

I think many of these guys back in the 50's-70's could see exactly where things were heading and were well ahead of their time.

I love sci-fi books and your list is excellent.

Great thread My friend.

So it now comes down to who are the visionaries presently?
Where are we headed? Who has the best handle on that now?

posted on Dec, 13 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Great thread, absolutely interesting those 3 pages so far!

Well I believe that it all comes down to the collective consciousness and its interaction with us. Subconsciously we are very aware of what the future might hold, since every idea is processed within the collective, and every being has all thoughts and possible thoughts embedded in its memory, makes everybody a visionary if you spend time with exploring the ideas you are aware of, and maybe to stumble upon ideas you weren't consciously aware before, but subconsciously since it was first thought. And this principle gives us the ability to imagine the future a few decades ahead, since the thought for it already exists....

I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join