It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most Prophetic Sci-Fi Work, Which have come true?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

So it now comes down to who are the visionaries presently?
Where are we headed? Who has the best handle on that now?

Hmmmm that's a tough one man.

I think one of the best "modern" Sci-Fi books I've read is Spares by Michael Marshall Smith

www.amazon.co.uk...

www.darkecho.com...

The world he creates and brings vividly to life in that book is mind-blowing and truly scary because we're almost there now.

One of the best books I've read.

As for picking out one author who is the true visionary now... i really don't know?

I'm still going through most of the classics at the moment.. and also been reading some chuck palahniuk novels too... so i dunno man?

posted on Dec, 14 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Great Thread, Slayer once again. Thanks for all of your contributions. It helps me beleive in humanity.

Has anyone read Snow Crash by Neil Stevenson? I think it's defined as Cyperpunk but is an example of anarcho-capitalism.

This book seems to be about 5-10 years in our future from my guess. The US governement has lost all authority(due to lack of significance) and has been reduced to the status of a corporation.

Most of the counrty is now didvied up into city-state like corporate entities called burb-claves. It's a great read. There's hologoogles and google earth, second life takes on a whole new significance as it become virtual. He might have termed the word "Avatar."

The dollar is hyper inflated. All military exists in the private called things like Uncle Bob's Mercs.

The CIA and the Library of Congress merge as a giant data collection sysyem.

Check it's the future. Published in 1992!!!!!

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 09:18 AM
link   
I knew that if I ran a search for "Metropolis" there would be some astute members that have already brought it up here on ATS.

I saw the original 1927 film for the first time last night and was completely blown away by the blatant imagery that was included. From the non-stop collection of pentagrams to the word "Ra" on top of one of the buildings in neon. Even the introduction of the elite has the words shaped in the form of a pyramid while the introduction of the workers is in plain text. I was warned ahead of time when we sat down to watch the movie to keep an eye out, but I thought I was going to be picking things out such as when Jerry Falwell slows down "The Lion King" to see the words "sex."

Even the video-teleconference in the movie, that was way ahead of it's time in 1927!

Now I have to dig through these other movies listed in this thread to see what they have to offer.

posted on Jan, 17 2010 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by niteboy82
Even the video-teleconference in the movie, that was way ahead of it's time in 1927!

Thanks....

How about this one. Going to work in a cubicle and imputing and transferring "Data"

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/595966325035.jpg[/atsimg]
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/431110a59aec.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jan, 22 2010 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Books, hmm, why not Vernor Vinge, he kind of predicted cyberspace in his novel True Names (1981).
en.wikipedia.org...
Also, William Gibsonl, Neuromancer (1984).
en.wikipedia.org...

Ray Kurzweil, The singularity is near.
en.wikipedia.org...
has made quite a few predictions, not sure if it counts as sci-fi but some of the tech mentioned hasn't happened yet, he just predicts it will. Age reversal & Life extension is another subject he has dealt with.

Added: Jorge Luis Borges. Library of Babel (1941)
today we have the wealth of the whole Internet, esp. wikipedia and Google (+books) which will encompass all human knowledge in the near future.

[edit on 23-1-2010 by rhines]

posted on Mar, 20 2010 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Wow I was gonna write a thread on this. Goog thing I did a search first !

Great thread S&F.

First my two cents on a philosophic angle.
I believe we ( mankind ) are only limited by our imagination. An imagination triggered by current experience. As long as we develop we will imagine new and previously unheard of ideas. As long as we get the ideas we will develop.

Unfortunately recent development looks like we are under the attack of a few who want us locked in tight for an easy control. If we're locked we can't develop.

It's like a minuscule needle pinching me continually and I can't find the source.

Science fiction is one of my favourite subjects. I'm sorry to say but I have not read a single book on it. All tv.

What I think is weird is that current sci fi isn't really mentioned.
Series like stargate or Babylon five.
They are more realistic then star trek or so.

Babylon five because it shows what us humans are really about. Emotions morals and our differences.
Stargate because it uses all of ancient myth and sagas we know.

What about the technology in them ?

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   
I found a little list of star trek science what we now have in reality.

Don't now if they are already posted but the thread deserves a bump IMO

Things We Have Now That Star Trek Invented

enjoy !

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

thanks for the reply. It'll be interesting to see what will come to reality from the present day writers in our not too distant future.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

I don't know but I've seen Babylon 5 and that would be cool to get a glimps of a future like that.

Do you know a bunch of things that are still pure fiction from recent work.
I can only think of wormhole tech. Hyper space. and stuff.

I'm cut of my new scifi refiles so I miss a lot .

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   

I can't help it.

[edit on 6/19/2010 by Sinter Klaas]

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Sinter Klaas

How about the whole nanotechnology fields?
We are on the verge of an advancement. Stay tuned by the time you're 80 or 90 we will be in a whole other ballgame.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 06:10 PM
link   
The best ones are the ones that are practical, as the world needs to be run in a certain way.

Just like how we do not have flying cars yet as its not practical, and its probably a long way off yet.

While something like a car that drives itself, may not be too far away, one day it may happen, as long as safe, as i sure think it will be.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Odds are someone else has already mentioned them, but I will chime in with
two works that seem to be coming true.

1984 and Brave New World

Orwell and Huxley were prophets.

posted on Jun, 19 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Ex_MislTech

I am unfamiliar with your example. Will you please tell ?? What you mean ? ]

Reply to slayer69

I am 27 in this time I've seen the rise of the cell phone, the personal computer, hybrid cars, and so on.

Nano technology is already in use in a wide range of products.
The problem is that we don't know what nano is capable of when it is released in a macro world.

We as a species have learned that specific substances are toxic and when sized nano they penetrate everything with ease. I hope we will be wise when using nano technology.

Still every big technological breakthrough was on an already existing thing. I can't wait for something really new to see the lights of day.

posted on Jun, 20 2010 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by ambushrocks
Excellent thread.

May I add George Orwell - Big Brother?

I believe the actual name of the title is 1984. It is a must read. It was banned in every communist country and is no doubt in disfavor these days in Omerica, now that Obama has usurped the throne.

He uncannily predicted how technological superpowers could control the thoughts and actions of the populace and how the world would divide into three power blocks, each vying for supremacy.

He also predicted a total surveillance police state, similar to what we have in the UK and China these days. It's pretty amazing when you think of it. Guess where the term thought police comes from?

posted on Sep, 28 2010 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeroKnowledge

Have you followed up on the writers you haven't then heard of?

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join