It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does CNN lie?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I watched the news story about the kid standing behind Bush as he gave a speech and thought it was fake because CNN portrayed it that way.

Read this article...

CNN Sorry For Saying Bored Kid At Bush Speech Was Fake

POSTED: 8:44 a.m. EST April 2, 2004

NEW YORK -- David Letterman said now that he's called the White House "liars" -- the government probably will start looking at his taxes.

Letterman sparked a controversy this week, airing a tape Monday that shows a teenage boy fidgeting and fighting to stay awake during a speech by President George W. Bush during a rally in Florida.

CNN ran the clip Tuesday -- but anchors said the White House told the network that the boy had been edited into the video.

In reality, the White House never said that, and the tape had not been altered. CNN called Letterman's headquarters to fess up. But the host didn't get the message until the show was being taped. He'd already played the CNN comments, and told the audience the White House tried to make him look like "a dope."

CNN anchor Daryn Kagan apologized on air -- and offered to go on Letterman's show for a "Stupid Human Trick."

Letterman said the apology from CNN is a first -- from anyone.

On Thursday night's "Late Show," Letterman said no one has every apologized to him in 25 years of network broadcasting.

Letterman said he'll prove the kid is real, when 13-year-old Tyler Crotty is on his show Friday night.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have caught FOX lying as well. Just who can you trust?

Abovetopsecret.com?

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 09:15 AM
link   
Lots of news networks lie. They are all controlled by the governent.

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by energy_wave
Does CNN lie?

Do Birds Fly? Of course News Networks lie. They lie all the time. Maybe its not so much that they lie... they just dont report things. But sure they lie... all the time.

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 09:57 AM
link   
i have always thought (known maybe) that all the news channels lie. they only put through news that is approved by the govenrment i think. I watched the David Letterman show last night, when that kid was on, and it looked pretty real to me. i think CNN might have done a story on it, and got 'yelled' at by the white house, so the then called it a fake. im not to sure what to think of this one, but the letterman show, sure made it sound real.

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Oh Yeah. The networks put their own twists to the stories, they often don't report stories that will in some way hurt the government and cause people to have an opinion about the state of the country.

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 10:05 AM
link   
One of many links to the article posted by energy_wave:
Please remember to properly cite, give proper credit, and/or provide a working link to the page of the source of your article quoting, etc. Thank you.
CNN Sorry For Saying Bored Kid At Bush Speech Was Fake

seekerof

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 11:27 AM
link   
This is a classic example of the bias and eagerness of the CNN staff to make Republicans look bad.

I'm glad they have enough egg on their faces to make 100 omlets.

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 11:38 AM
link   
TV news lies. Newspapers lie. Magazines lie.
At least, on the Internet, you are always questioning the validity of a given piece. Too bad, hte masses often taken what they hear as "gospel"

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Does CNN lie?

Well, Im not sure if they lie, its more like a repentance of a lie. The government feeds them lies, and they go on the air with it.So, technicaly, there not really lying, with an exception of FOX news, cause they lie like a �mo fo�

Peace, Shadow

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 12:05 PM
link   
If the recent mess with Letterman and CNN wasn't proof enough for you that news sources lie, or atleast CNN, then you're not paying attention...

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Of course they lie all the media lie.

One of the biggest lies is that you only have two choices for president and if they mention another it is someone thats support base is to small to hurt the big two.

This lie borders on treason.

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 12:34 PM
link   
All news sources lie.

Lying is not always presenting a false statement, but is also purposefully leading people to a conclusion by presenting and repressing certain information to give the "appearance" of something that is truely a misrepresentation.

Look at terrorism. They have sensationalized it so much that they have almost nightly references to it without any event to back it up.

Have you heard this?

"What may be lerking in our subways"
or
"Could this be a terrorist plot?"

And the list goes on and on.

Spin is the game and commertial airtime is the product.

Fear and consumption (example- Y2K, even my mother in law bought food, water, and a damn generator and urged us to do the same. I laughed at her and she warned me. Who's laughing now?)

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ocelot

Does CNN lie?

Do Birds Fly? Of course News Networks lie. They lie all the time. Maybe its not so much that they lie... they just dont report things. But sure they lie... all the time.

Ocelot, I can't even read your posts because that guy on your avitar is hideous to look at, it makes me wanna puke...
No offence I just find it revolting.. That guy is so ugly!

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by theshadowknows

Does CNN lie?

Well, Im not sure if they lie, its more like a repentance of a lie. The government feeds them lies, and they go on the air with it.So, technicaly, there not really lying, with an exception of FOX news, cause they lie like a �mo fo�

Peace, Shadow

They lie... They lie to get sheeples to follow blindly, they use whatever they can so they can get their agenda out there. People eat it up like fish sticks. They got everybody buy the balls, and those who resist to follow will be labelled as "knobs" or "crazies".
If it's not a verbal que to get people to believe, a simple roll of the eyes will do so that the people will buy into what they say.. I've seen it on the news all the time...

Eye rolling... No verbal attacks, just a subconscious language that will make people side with them.
THEY LIE.... oh yes, they lie..

Media/Government/Agencies/ All the people who think

we need to be looked after and told whats truth will lie.

Agenda Agenda Agenda's..... = Lies.

posted on Apr, 3 2004 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Wait a second, wasnt this on april fools? i think i saw it on april fools day i think it was spose to be an april fools joke but if im wrong as i know you guys will just correct me on this.

posted on Apr, 5 2004 @ 02:04 PM
link   
portland.indymedia.org...

CIA-Mafia banking thefts, mind control, death squads or even federal agencies with secret budgets fattened by coc aine sales - a place overrun by lone gunmen, where the CIA and Mafia are usually on their best behavior. In this idyllic land, the most serious infraction an official can commit--is a the employment of a domestic servant with (shudder) no residency status.This unlikely land of enchantment is the creation of Operation MOCKINGBIRD.

Who rules the corporate media? OPERATION MOCKINGBIRD,CIA,state media since 1940s

posted on Apr, 5 2004 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Seriously now, there is no US law that dictates that all news, no matter the source, must be true.

None. zip. zero. zilch. so if you want, you could legally create your own news station and make up the news. it'd probably be a big hit. but you'd be dealing with a saturated market (fox news, CNN, MSNBC, etc)

posted on Apr, 5 2004 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I'd consider it spin versus a lie. Syntax and semantic changes in the story can put a whole new spin on it, not to mention usage/exclusion of facts and camera angles.

Of course you have to realize that no network news wants to piss the presiding administration off so bad that they no longer get "leaks" or anonymous tips. That's where you have the argument of them not reporting anything that makes the administration look bad.

Disclosure: I'm a Republican, but getting more towards the center as I see complete lack of progress in our current Congress.

top topics

join