It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is college a scam?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2004 @ 05:12 AM
link   
I don't know if college is a scam, but high school's definitely turning me retarded!

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illmatic67

Originally posted by Seekerof
I don't want to "read" into 'why' your feeling this but often times, for a freshman, the first year is basically just knocking out your core classes, which will seem redundant.
The first year is when over 50% of your freshman drop out or quit college.

College was and still is a challenge, IMHO, but I will admit that till I got through my 'core' classes, it was pretty redundant.

seekerof

I don't care about my core classes. I find all of that easy high school review stuff. But I am thinking long term.

I don't want to get out of college and get a lame 9-5 job paying 30,000 a year. To some people it's a noble thing and it's their pride and joy to work like that but I've seen my parents work like that their whole lives and I don't think I can go through that.

So I am thinking long-term, not the present.

To be honest it seems you have a wrong perception of what college is about nowadays.
Today the sole purpose for college in general is to get a decent paying job and fufill this American ideal of getting married, having kids, retireing etc.

The major you picked definetely did not help you eithier, I think the only way you could have gave yourself more of a chance of a 9-5 is if you picked a business degree.

posted on Jan, 10 2008 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I dont think College is a sham. I think HighSchool is more of one. Since most dont teach you things you MUST know as a functioning adult...at least when I was in HS.

I'm in college now. Well, I'm back to college. LOL. I started college straight out of high school. I was NOT motivated and was way more interested in my boyfriend and hanging out with him over going to classes. I dropped out, worked full time. Retail. It sucked....but I did learn some skills working out in the retail world - how to deal with all types of people LOL

Then when I realized I couldn't get better paying jobs to support myself, I went back to school and got my Associates while working 2 jobs.

After getting my Associate I was able to easily get $40K+ jobs. Which for me, single on my own, was a lot.

Now I'm back in school getting my BS while I'm a stay at home mom who doesn't have to work (yeah!). I'm in a specialized field, so what I am learning in school now is absolutely important to my future jobs. I was already in the career, but I didn't know 85% of what I know now - thanks to classes I have taken.

Amongst all that is stuff I do need to learn, I will have to take classes I will never need. IE. Id rather take Business Math then Advanced Algebra. But I have no choice on that.

Anyways, I do not think College is a scam. You DO learn things that you would never learn on your own. Yes, there are classes that seem pointless. But over all, in the end....I believe its better to get that degree then not.

On top of that. It teaches you responsibility and discipline. Many things "kids" are leaving home NOT knowing!!!!

So, good luck and hang in there!!!

[edit on 10-1-2008 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zenskeptical
...To be honest it seems you have a wrong perception of what college is about nowadays.

Just a friendly PSA : The post you're responding to is almost 4 years old.

Carry on...

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Is college a scam?

Well I’m about to inter my first year of college in Feb, so I’ll be the judge of this......

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I use to think college was a scam type thinking.

Then I worked 10 years out of school.

I went back to school.

I enjoyed and did well in college.

I realized college was not a scam. Though the accdemic society could use a little polish, it isn't a scam.

posted on Jan, 11 2008 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Yeah, college is a scam. You need to really want to learn the information before deciding to go. I believe it should be government funded and included in or after highschool. I dropped out because I got the same job I would have if I graduated by beefing up on my skills in my own time.

HOWEVER.. if your going to be an engineer nobody will hire you with only a highschool diploma. Employers want to see a degree, and will therefor pay you more. It's upt o you to decide whether you will make out better paying off the loans with that extra $$, or getting paid less without a gigantic deficit in your bank account.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Graduating from college gives you more options than what a highschool diploma gives you. It doesn't guarantee to give you a job, thats your responsibility. College just teaches you whatever field you chosen to be major in, in hopes of impressing any employers that have interested in people with Bachelors degree or more to hire.

posted on Jan, 12 2008 @ 03:29 PM
link   
College is only useful for people who are academically inclined. People who go to the elite universities and get majors in useful subjects can use college as a stepping stone to great things.

The vast majority of people who go to college are not academically inclined. These people are wasting their time going to college. They would probably be better off going to a trade school or getting valuable work experience, yet they have been deluded into thinking they are "too good" or "too smart" for trade school or blue collar jobs. T

his belief in being "too good" or "too smart" is a fallacy. For one thing if these people were really were "too smart" they would be going to an Ivy League school, and not majoring in English at Southwest Hellhole state. Secondly, these people often end up getting jobs that are identical to the jobs that they would have gotten if they skipped college or they end up getting jobs that pay less than some of the better blue collar jobs. For example, we have all met people with Masters degrees who work at Starbucks. We have also met auto mechanics, salemen, and other people who have little or no college education that are doing quite nicely for themselves.

The only benefit a college education has is that it shows the world you can read and do simple arithmetic. Employers are doubtful high school graduates have these basic skills because many high schools have low standards. I am sure there are ways to show the world you can read and do simple arithmetic that do not involve spending hundreds of thousands of dollars. You can do this by getting trade school certificates or just presenting yourself well and speaking intelligently.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 02:48 AM
link   
Heh, I posted on this thread originally...

Hmm... Since then I've graduated 2 years ago. My simple associates electronics degree I got from the Community College of Las Vegas really opened some doors for me. I got a job after graduating at Texas Instruments working in a wafer fab which was really cool. I just got a new job at a data center building and working on computers, it's totally my dream job. AND, I wouldnt have been able to get it without going to school.

NO SCAM!

Before school... 8$'s/hr
After school... 20+$'s/hr

Soo nice not living paycheck to paycheck!

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 08:12 AM
link   
SCAM SCAM SCAM SCAM

do I think its a scam? YES YES YES

why?
well can you make better money and bigger career?.....yes

but it only serves the Elite.
ya ya ...you get to have cool cars and toys and better this and better that.

but In the end you only serve the beast.

one of my musician friends is about to become a pharmacist
and quit being a working musician.(he is a extremely talented player)

if thats not serving the beast then just what is.???
and he looks down on me because he assumes that I could never possibly be as intellegent as him.

and he will make 10 times the MONEY I will...at least..just for starters.

so..its about money????
money????.........really?
wow so much for his good intentions(if any beyond personal material gain).

oh what a sad sad world we live in where a man is judged by his
material worth and social status.......pathetic.

mabey you will become a professional banker,lawer.doctor,soldier,
engineer, scientist..ect,ect

they all serve the N.W.O beast one way or the other.

so yes...join "THEM" and you will be rewarded with more money.

hope you all enjoy it because this world is screwed.
really really screwed....

the reality that is the world that we live in is not
what you think it is.

we don`t even realize the prison we are in.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 12:53 PM
link   
College/higher learning is more than a piece of paper. You gain a tremendous amount of knowledge and experience.

To me, not educating yourself puts you in a "prison" Without an education the man keeps you down, working for minimum wage, always struggling. I feel like I've freed myself some and can now concern myself with greater things that mere survival in the world. I'm able to help OTHER people now that I earn enough money and have extra time.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Calculon386

What a great follow-up! Dont see that too often!

Congrats!!

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Maya432

Well, if what you said was true (which I dont believe it is...at all)...then the SMART person would get that education and use it to work against "the elite" or the "system" or whatever it is you hate so much.

They could make all of that money and if they felt it was wrong to spend the money on themself and roll around in their dollars, they could spend it on those less fortunate.

Life is what you make it. And if an education serves a better purpose for your life and possibly those around you.....then an Education is useful!

I dont intend to use my degree to become rich. I am learning. A lot more then if I didnt go to school.

School isnt for everyone.....but it is not a scam.

I think the people who live in such fear of others (the "elite", government, 2012, aliens, bla bla bla) ..................those are the true prisoners.

posted on Feb, 6 2008 @ 01:04 PM
link   
College not only provides you with incredible knowledge your subject of interest but also teaches you about YOURSELF and how to live on your own, your strengths, weaknesses, etc. College isn't just about school, it has many other life lessons. Not to mention its fun as hell.

This was how it was for me.

posted on Jul, 4 2008 @ 04:41 PM
link   
College is not a scam, the only scam is the people telling you that you must go to college; so you can make a certain amount of money; so you can buy a certain house; and buy a certain car.

This is the Scam part unless your born with a silver spoon. You have a certain job that most likely isn't what you studied or majored in, your making 35,000 bucks a year without taxes paid, and your deep in debt to pay for your college, house, car, and dog. So in reality you sold yourself to the banks for the next 30+ years.

If you were smart like me, you would have come up with a brilliant idea and sold what ever that might be to people like you and make ten fold in one month what you do in two years. Kinda like Mr. Oracle

posted on Jul, 14 2008 @ 01:45 AM
link   
maybe not, at least i don't think so

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 11:53 AM
link   
i just graduated with a communications degree... useless. i wish i went into engineering with a sociology or philosophy minor. get something practical while getting deep knowledge of the world.

communications degree will get u a job in the media, advertising, marketing, PR, and all the other manipulative industries that are corrupting our country. Sorry, I didnt read through this whole thread, I don't know if you want to become a journalist, or go into some alternative media format, that would be honorable. unless you are hellbent on that, do yourself favor and switch majors before you figure out how pointless a communications degree is. Too bad I didnt figure it out until just before I graduated this year.

best of luck. glad to see youre thinking deeply

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 09:51 PM
link   
You might argue about the value of a degree, but there is no arguing about the value of an education.

Stick with it and use your electives to acquire a well-rounded education. Take music, art , sociology, literature, business, and history classes and maybe even earn a minor in a field related to your major.

When you graduate, put your diploma on the wall and take your education out into the world.

Even if the the diploma never returns the investment, your education will do so many times over.

There's more to life than money and that's what an education is all about.

posted on Jul, 16 2008 @ 10:18 PM
link   
College isn't a scam... but i is kind of silly...

Unless your into being a doctor or Lawyer it's ridiculous... or if your truely academic... like want to study the Toads of zaire or soemthing bizarre and get paid...

But I think Jobs stink, haven't had one for 15 years since shortly after graduation when I wised up...

College is stupid if you want money... money makes money, you have to have balls, be slick, know how to talk, be tough, provide a service and work hard... many things really...

But business courses are silly... Just buy the book lol, sit in on a lecture if you need to...

I don't know i'm smart, I can just read the book, some people need "help" but i went into business and never looked back, money makes money, starting 100 G in debt for a 40 G ayear job is slavery as I see it...

an 18 yr old with clean credit.... get 2 jobs and work your arse off, invest the money and never look back... by 20 when other guys have keegers you'll own a house, by 22-23 around graduation time you'll be making as much a week from your investmets, from N OT working, just making your money work while the rest are starting more classes while waiting tables or... making 36 G... with 200 G in debt due immeadiately lol

Money and colleg are not one and the same... it's a deterent mostly...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join