It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

switch to digital television

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 08:02 PM
link   
is anyone else suspicious of this new switch to digital television?? why are THEY helping u buy these new converter boxes?? whats wrong with the televisions we have now?? why cant we just keep our rabbit ears?? does anyone have any input on this? im i the only one thinking about this?btw im new here this is my first thread...just came across this website...

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Shrug. I have the same question's you do. It is quite curious. Maybe too many places wiring is too old to replace with the old stuff?

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   
EXTREMELY suspicious! Red Flags going off left and right in my head with this switch. I tried to look into it a while back, but there really is little about it out there.

From what I have heard talking to someone involved with a major news network, even those at the top (well, as high as they are accessible to) are scratching their heads, but not really questioning.

I have ideas, but until I see something valid supporting at least some of my idea, I would rather not stick it out there.

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Well for one digital signals are more efficient. But I do believe the primary factor in this switch is probably greed. They can have more distinct channels with digital... therefore generating more revenue.

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Use the search function if you want to find out more; people have been asking the same question for years here. There've been like six identical threads in the past three months.

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Well, it seems like it was one way to get big brother into every living room, bedroom, etc. unless you don't like television!

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by chilango.122
is anyone else suspicious of this new switch to digital television?? why are THEY helping u buy these new converter boxes?? whats wrong with the televisions we have now?? why cant we just keep our rabbit ears?? does anyone have any input on this? im i the only one thinking about this?btw im new here this is my first thread...just came across this website...

It's switching to digital so the quality of the picture and sound can be picked up when more local tv stations decide to broadcast in a higher definition. Its kind of like asking why companies switched from making analog phones to digital, no reason other than to improve the quality

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Nothing in life can be free anymore. It's a money thing. They are trying to scam us, but they can't scam all.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 12:06 AM
link   
I believe when the television was first made available to the general public that it was met with similar scepticism.

Same then as it is now, paranoid tin hat wearing rubbish.

It's called upgrading.

Who says the computer you are using doesn't have monitoring capabilities?
That'd be a more likely scenario

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Why did they switch from analogue to digital mobile phones?
Why do they switch from analogue to digital anything?
Because its cheaper and easier to repair fix upgrade and use.
Because they can market many different things to people they don't need, that people think are cool and will spend lots of money on.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by chilango.122

Since you're already connected on the internet, I wouldn't worry about the tv.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 12:19 AM
link   
It’s just the same as when everyone switched from Black and White to Colour.

Or from Mobile Anolog to Mobile Digital

Or VHS to DVD

Or Records to CD’s to MP3

Or Library to the Internet

It’s called, moving forward. Better and new technology.

Nothing suspicious.

Mikey

[edit on 30/11/2008 by Mikey84]

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 12:55 AM
link   
I do have questions about it. Maybe I have read 1984 too many times, but it seems like an easy way to allow government monitoring into your home. I do not have a television and have not had one for a while, not because of fear, but the simple fact there is nothing worth watching on them. I prefer to spend my money elsewhere than on a worthless television. Just my two cents worth. Perhaps I am wrong.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Technology changes my friends. I would ask how many of you still use 8-tracks to play your music. If you're not a DJ, how many of you still use vinyl to crank the latest tune by "insert artist here." In fact, how many still use cassette tapes. Unless you haven't changed with the times, I would assume a very small percentage.

As times change, so too does the technology. And when this happens, the methods of delivering that technology changes.

Television technology is changing - and you can barely find a tube television anymore. Sure, they are out there, but few and far between. The methods of television consumption has changed - and as a response,t he industry is changing the way it delivers the signals to you.

No suspicions... no fears... no worries that there will be little government agents hiding in your box waiting to catch you do whatever you fear they will catch you doing.

My two cents... it is just the evolution of technology (if you believe in evolution, that is).

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 01:11 AM
link   
My theory consists of the possibility that the outdated rating volunteers(special-box) will no longer be needed as the new signal will tell them how many sets are actually watching the programs. Greed, yes; further manipulation due to ratings data, yes; even further manipulation of such data and appropriate programming adjusted to have effective mind control over the public,.....plausible.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 01:13 AM
link   
all the analog waves are being commandeered by the US Military for use in communications.
The common people who are in it for the entertainment are getting the digital upgrade that will save the servers money and they won't bother to pass on the savings to the common people, so its a way for them to increase profits.

[edit on 30-11-2008 by theRiverGoddess]

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 01:18 AM
link   
I understand the basic idea behind going digital and what I know has already been covered by above posters.

Originally posted by wkdclwn96
I do have questions about it. Maybe I have read 1984 too many times, but it seems like an easy way to allow government monitoring into your home. I do not have a television and have not had one for a while, not because of fear, but the simple fact there is nothing worth watching on them. I prefer to spend my money elsewhere than on a worthless television. Just my two cents worth. Perhaps I am wrong.

Indeed but at least we can turn our digital boxes off, although saying that I know people who leave it on all day even if they are not in the room, failing that on standby. As for their being nothing good on TV.. I would say there are the occasional gems and although I watch it rarely I do use it to watch DVDs as there are plenty of good films and documentaries that are worth watching. But then again this is just my opinion and I also could be wrong.

Oh and if anyone is really suspicious about their technology and if its being used to monitor them it cant be too hard to open things up and have a look at the components, with only a little knowledge strange things should stand out no? Recording and Broadcasting components would be somewhat strange in a digital box.

Saying that though Sky boxes over here in the UK should be plugged into your phone line, they mostly need to be if your going to watch pay per view films, could be seen as suspicious no?

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 01:23 AM
link   
To add to this...

If you already have cable or satellite television service - you won't need a converter box. Only the people without a way to convert the signals will need to use the box. Most people will NOT need this converter box as the digital signal is already being converted for you.

And to anyone who feels this transition will be the government's way of watching and monitoring them - and if you already have satellite or cable service - then apparently 'they' are already watching you.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptainCaveMan

Actually you do not repair them. You throw them away and buy a new one.

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 03:04 AM
link   
It's mostly about upgrading the technology. I've had digital for years, or whenever it first came out (in Canada). They offered a price discount to encourage new users. The picture and sound are better quality.

As for the boxes being monitored, it doesn't appear to have any tracking device at least. The box is activated to send the signal and all the services, as paid for by the cable subscriber. The cable company does not know where (room, street or town) your box is located or relocated, just if it's operating within their range. Each box has it's own code on a label on the box, and it's this code you give to activate or deactivate.

I've also noticed, when I switched boxes and had asked them to deactivate the old box, it appeared to have been disabled, but would keep reactivating itself and all the channels came back on. I have someone who wants to buy my old box from me, but now I'm hesitant because what if this person never activates the box? Considering more than one request to deactivate it and assurances they have, doesn't appear to work ... I'm already hearing this person thinks she can just plug it into a cable line and all the extra channels will magically appear (as if they come with the box). Well essentailly it may just do that and this person will be sharing (for free) my channels and any private PPV extra's I order, and could even order her own, billed to me and also creating a profile of "my choices" that aren't mine. It seems the only way to rid myself of the connection to this box, is if the next user of it activates it under their own account subscription. Most would do this, but I can see this gal won't be inclined to do that when she sees "it came with channels". Having said all this, I highly doubt their monitering is up to par. It's a glitch with pros or cons.

[edit on 30-11-2008 by violet]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join