It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

the reason I fear the God of the bible: science

page: 25
<< 22  23  24    26  27 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by LeoVirgo
reply to post by Annon Omas

We all side with people, nothing wrong with that.

But you were actually playing a little reverse psychology (many religious folks do ).

Good Wolf claimed, he discusses these topics because he enjoys it.

You came back and told him that he discusses these topics because he enjoys feeling like he is right.

Its the pot calling the kettle black, to make yourself not look as though you might also be here because you get joy out of showing others you think you are right and they are not.

So often religious people do things like this....like they are the only ones here to discuss things for a humble purpose.

I didnt find it very Christian of you to basically call someone a liar in their claims for their reasons to discuss something with you.

Peace,
LV

I was not having a disscusion with GW. You need to re-read what transpired.
I jumped in after reading one of GW's replies to Grandma. I felt his reply to Grandma was a little harsh and arrogant. I was somewhat po'ed, so yes, my words were heated
I would wager that Grandma is actually a 'grandma" and worthy of respect.

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Oh waa.

I was blunt with gandma, and I only respect people who earn it, thus who they are not what they are.

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by noobfun

Originally posted by Annon Omas
I am not against science.

Science, logic, working things out one step at a time to aquire knowledge is a good thing. Without science life would be alot worse.
aint that the truth

Someday science may create "life" in the lab, but there would still be a problem with your theory. If this happens, you could state life "could have" began on earth. Could you prove conclusivly thats how life started. I don't think so.
if they are using conditions similar to the early earth to create life it will show not that it conclusivley formed that way but the probability of it becomes a whole lot better

it then forces the differeing view points to step up and actually try and prove thier claims, you like the word conclusive nothing in science is ever conclusive because it subject to better information

its a past event that had no observers so probability based on evidence is all we have

panspermia(microbes from space) is again based on evidence or at least the search for evidence its a hypothesis in action so can lower its odds of probability by finding it

the two other main ones relie on a lack of evidence and circumstancial evidence from myth with mass unsuported assumption rather then actually looking for evidence so the probability of those just climbs becasue of the evidence chemical evolution rna world and panspermia produces

they require faith negative proof (you cant prove its wrong so there - sillyness)

its a case of following the evidence or following a myth, personally ill take the first option

in the same way id rather see someone convicted for a crime by evidence then his eyes are to close together and his eyebrows meet in the middle so he must be suspicious and guilty of somthing so may as well be this

[edit on 22/12/08 by noobfun]

Hey noob, how bout a truce. I'm getting tired of arguing.
You have your beliefs, I have mine.....the journey continues
I would like to leave you with a quote I seen awhile back, I'll have to paraphrase because I'm too lazy to go find it.

"Until we can claim we understand everything, and have the math and science to back it up, we shouldn’t dismiss faith so fervently."

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Annon Omas

Hey noob, how bout a truce. I'm getting tired of arguing.
this is arguing? its not even heated discussions. no need for a truce just change the topic

You have your beliefs, I have mine.....the journey continues
I would like to leave you with a quote I seen awhile back, I'll have to paraphrase because I'm too lazy to go find it.
sloth is a sin ya know
(couldnt resist)

"Until we can claim we understand everything, and have the math and science to back it up, we shouldn’t dismiss faith so fervently."

i dismiss faith on the basis it relises on no evidence so any one of the multitutde has nothing over another

thats why its so puzzaling why people pick on at random(well usually location and parents play a major part) and then insist the rest must be wrong

believe them all or dont bother with them seems the most practical solutions and i dont have enough time in the day to believe them all

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Hello Annon,

You might find this to by crazy, but Grandma on ATS is my mother

You can see me and her in action if you like, we made videos of her NDE and Im sure you would love it. The thread is on my profile "My mothers Near Death Experience".

U2U her if you like, but her computer is down right now so she hasnt been able to come online (she is heart broken and misses her ATS!).

I did read the transcripts, and what you did jumping into the convo between Grandma and GW is not any different then my jumping in the convo either.

Its more easy to get frustrated with those who are not spiritual then it is to discuss with them how they perceive the world and do so in a calm peaceful manner. I know they all dont always do this...but we are the ones claiming we know how to be spiritual beings...so trying to remain righteous and not be so accusing is something we all try to work on everyday.

My mother and I bonk heads ALL THE TIME, well ok, about 90 percent of the time. She knows I give her room to grow in ways her soul feels it needs to and she does the same for me. We debate peacefully often...but on the forums its easy to get a little po'ed as you say.

I was actually posting in the first place to my mothers response of "But ONE OF US IS RIGHT". *laughs* her and I have been discussing this comment in our real like for the last 2 days. We live next door to each other, so if we arent talking on ATS about stuff, most likely we are talking in the rl.

Sorry if I came off snooty...I sometimes get peeved myself

My best intentions
Happy Holidays,
LV

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 08:36 AM
link   
As far as right or wrong ...
You Scientific ones should know that with Math (which you use often) there is always only ONE RIGHT ANSWER is there not >?
2+2 = 4 not 3 or 6 or 8 ...there is no other answer to that equation ..
There is no middle ground in there is there ?

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Simplynoone
As far as right or wrong ...
You Scientific ones should know that with Math (which you use often) there is always only ONE RIGHT ANSWER is there not >?
2+2 = 4 not 3 or 6 or 8 ...there is no other answer to that equation ..
There is no middle ground in there is there ?

great the problem is we dont know what

X + X are

so we can say x+x=2x but until we can quantify x it means nothing

we can work on probability not direct calculations, and the probability comes out pretty low

so until someone actaully presents evidence for god then we cant do a straight sum

tell me what " " + " " is? it could be anything becasue theres nothing to relate to what the blanks contain

theres a book cant remeber the name of it someone tries to prove god using probability maths, he sets out 7 classes that relate to different factors and scored them as he believed in them

baring in mind this has was his scoring of his beliefs, it came out at 60% possability of god, but becasue he was a christain he decided to just add an extra 35% for faith purposes...... so he used his own beleif then had to rig the maths ....... what a great book

so even faced with a pascals wager set up of god yes or no, and ignoring all the other possable gods he still failed until he cheated

[edit on 24/12/08 by noobfun]

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Merry Christmas Noob (Well that is if it does not offend you ) ...
I was just trying to think LOGICAL since us Christians get accused of not using any logic ...thought you would be proud of me

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Simplynoone
Merry Christmas Noob (Well that is if it does not offend you ) ...
I was just trying to think LOGICAL since us Christians get accused of not using any logic ...thought you would be proud of me

it was a fine try sweetie ^_^

but any use of maths or logic always comeback to the same problem, lack of evidence to quantify

and a merry christmas to you to (its not offensive i celebrate the holdiay as an excuse to spoil the nieces and nephews and spend time with the whole family, besides its a pagan holiday anyway lol)

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Simplynoone

Square root of 25 has two correct answers. 5 and -5.

Appreciate the intent though.

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Good Wolf
reply to post by Simplynoone

Square root of 25 has two correct answers. 5 and -5.

Appreciate the intent though.

What!!! Yes it has to correct answers but it depends on the equation you use.

A 1. cant ever be -1. At the same time. But you can have to different 1's. one that is pluss and one that is minus. But they can never be the same thing.

A Zero always has to exist. It cant be -0.

[edit on 27.06.08 by spy66]

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 09:21 AM
link   
LOL Ok okay ...hey I tried ..I know how to add ..but the the rest of that Math is way over my head lol .........I did not get past general math ..

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by spy66

No, the square root of 25 = 5 AND -5 (at the same time). That is the equation and it has to answers.

And in the case of 0, -0 it's more opinion. I would say that it can be the same thing because unlike 1 an -1 which are not equal, 0 and -0 are equal. Not that any of this really matters. Simply made a point which held merit but her analogy had limitations.

Simplynoone:

LOL Ok okay ...hey I tried ..I know how to add ..but the the rest of that Math is way over my head lol .........I did not get past general math ..

Really. Aw, you missed out. I reviled in math sand science at school and it filled me with great happiness and pride to be first in science in my year a few years back.

[edit on 24/12/2008 by Good Wolf]

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   

reply to post by spy66

No, the square root of 25 = 5 AND -5 (at the same time). That is the equation and it has to answers.

And in the case of 0, -0 it's more opinion. I would say that it can be the same thing because unlike 1 an -1 which are not equal, 0 and -0 are equal. Not that any of this really matters. Simply made a point which held merit but her analogy had limitations.

Simplynoone:

Really. Aw, you missed out. I reviled in math nad science at school and it filled me with great happiness to be first in science in my year a few years back.

[edit on 24/12/2008 by Good Wolf]

Yes they are the same number but not the same thing. Thats te clue.
Thats have we seperate things with math.

Whats abowe and belowe 0 cant be the same thing. only the same number. Or amount.

Its like hot and cold. Its either cold or its hot. If it is zero you have neither hot or cold.

As soon as it tips over to - or + it becomes something else then 0.

Meaning something else then what it was when it was 0.

Because unless it is 0 it cant be the same thing.

[edit on 27.06.08 by spy66]

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Thats awesome Wolf ....I wish I would have been able to comprehend it better .. .....I was good at spelling ...math troubled me lol ..
I used to win all the spelling B's ...I am getting older so I am not that good at anymore lol ..

Oh by the way MERRY CHRISTMAS ....and really seriously I LOVE YOU ALL and really do enjoy sparring with ya .....and pray for blessings and LOVE for your holiday .........

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by spy66

Sigh.

Way to go off on a completely unnecessary and irrelevant tangent, spy.

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 09:47 AM
link   

reply to post by spy66

Sigh.

Way to go off on a completely unnecessary and irrelevant tangent, spy.

Well if one is to act smart at least be smart.

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by spy66

Ironic you should say this. What you've said is all well and good but you're not countering anything I've said, or contributing to the discussion.

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 09:58 AM
link   

reply to post by spy66

Ironic you should say this. What you've said is all well and good but you're not countering anything I've said, or contributing to the discussion.

Then i am sorry.

posted on Dec, 24 2008 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by spy66
Yes they are the same number but not the same thing. Thats te clue.
Thats have we seperate things with math.

Whats abowe and belowe 0 cant be the same thing. only the same number. Or amount.

Yeah... I learned that in 1st grade lol...

As soon as it tips over to - or + it becomes something else then 0.

No kidding? lol...

Because unless it is 0 it cant be the same thing.

So unless it's 0, it has to be something other than 0? Who'd of thunk it! lol

Good Wolf was just saying that the square root of a number has 2 answers, because -5 * -5 = 25 and 5 * 5 = 25, so there's no way of knowing which it is.

top topics

<< 22  23  24    26  27 >>

join