It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black Friday Space-Time Disruption

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 08:22 AM
link   
The term Black Friday according to wikipedia was started being used around 1966, yet this year is the first time I remember hearing this term. I've spoken to several other people who can't seem to remember this term as well. I kept seeing the term being mentioned in newspapers and I thought they were making reference to an anniversary of something bad happening or something. Then I found out they just mean the day after thanksgiving. Which I know has always been the biggest shopping day of the year, but 'Black Friday'? Does anybody else seem to have a hard time remembering them ever referring to today by this name? I find this to be very strange.

I propose there was some sort of disruption in the fabric of space-time that must be connecting some type of loop between this year and somewhere in the late 60s. Possibly some event happened in 1965-66 that has attracted some time travelers.

Black Friday has such an ominous air about it, I hardly think that if it was being called that since 1966, nearly everybody I have talked to, including myself can't seem to remember it.

What the hell is going on here?

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 08:51 AM
link   
are you serious? I have heard this used for a long time, I'm only 22 but still, it is not anything new for sure...

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 08:54 AM
link   
I have worked in retail for 20 years, and the day after Thanksgiving has always been referred to as "Black Friday". No space-time disruption.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 08:54 AM
link   
This isn't a new term at all. For those of us in the retail business (in my case, my wife used to be in the retail business), it's been a common term for as long as I can remember.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 09:07 AM
link   
It's just a bad day to be a store employee and even worse to be a customer because every year someone in a store on black Friday fights someone else for a stupid product that they actually think is on sale when it's not hence the term black Friday.

Example I was looking at the specials for walmart for today and they raised the price of the Wii by 50 bucks and said it was on sale when in fact it is on sale only 50 bucks more.

Oh they also raised the price of the xbox 360 by 100 bucks and called it a sale.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by mothman7

I always thought that ' Black Friday' was the day the stock market crashed and the great depression began back in 1929; I believe the retailers are using it as a subconscious stimulus, suggesting that prices were sharply cut when they really aren't.

just my 2 cents.

seeker

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 09:50 AM
link   
"Black Friday", is a term used by retailers for the day after Thanksgiving. This is the biggest shopping day of the year. The amount of sales seen on this day pushes a lot of companies into the "BLACK". ("In the Black" means making profit.)

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by JesterMan

Yes I know what it is, but the point is that it was never called that until this year. I have even worked in retail in the past and had never heard that term a single time. So for those of you who have, obviously you aren't as sensitive to what just happened to the fabric of time. I'm sure there are some of you out there who are. This is not the first time something like this has happened.
"Black Tuesday" is the day referring to the stock market crash. Yes, I already knew that too. For those of you who really say they remember today being called Black Tuesday in the past, think about if you can recall a specific incident when that phrase was said to you before this year, and I bet you can't.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Well, I have worked in retail off and on in years past, and I have never heard that term until now.

I would suspect, however, that the reason you are hearing it now is because of the recent economic upheaval and retail sales going down. I'm sure the first official shopping day of Christmas is the object of focus for many, whether in the business or not.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by mothman7

Yes I know what it is, but the point is that it was never called that until this year. I have even worked in retail in the past and had never heard that term a single time. So for those of you who have, obviously you aren't as sensitive to what just happened to the fabric of time. I'm sure there are some of you out there who are. This is not the first time something like this has happened.
"Black Tuesday" is the day referring to the stock market crash. Yes, I already knew that too. For those of you who really say they remember today being called Black Tuesday in the past, think about if you can recall a specific incident when that phrase was said to you before this year, and I bet you can't.

your right i guess we arent as sensitive to the time space contium as you. i guess thats why i missed the GFL. on a separate note i specifically remember talking to several of my friends about going to best buy in the 8th grade on BLACK FRIDAY. and i remeber talking specifically to my girlfriend about not going with her to macys on BLACK FRIDAY when i was in the ninth grade

check and mate.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by mothman7

Hi...I'm Canadian, but I've never heard the term in my life. You think that if it was such a big deal that it would have been in the news more in past years.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Silenceisall

No, you wouldn't have because it's an American term. "Black Friday" has been used for years. I am 31 years old and have heard it for as long as I can remember. My family members shop every year on Black Friday. The news reports every year on Black Friday. Black Friday is the day after Thansgiving and is the biggest shopping day of the year, nothing new.

It's too funny how some people grasp for a paranormal explanation for everything. Just because you've never heard the term doesn't mean it didn't exist until today, that is, unless the whole world revolves around you.

posted on Nov, 28 2008 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by mothman7

Yes I know what it is, but the point is that it was never called that until this year.

Well than you my friend are living under a rock.

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 06:08 AM
link   
I'm 51 and I can remember the term "Black Friday" being referred to for decades as the shopping day after Thanksgiving.

top topics

join